Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FB post - perfect example of white privilege

Posted by   + Show Post

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (101-108):
Iconoclast
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I guess my comprehension skills are as good as (better than) yours.  Take time to read before you respond, it's very helpful.  You're welcome!

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I never said that a scholarship was a handout.... Apparently you aren't that intelligent because through this whole convo I said SCHOLARSHIP, HANDOUT, ETC.... Guess you lack comprehension.

Quoting Iconoclast:

How good were the other girls, how many scholarships were given.  Yep, let's go there (I'll hold your hand and we can skip).  No one is saying they can only apply for certain scholarships.  Some people don't apply at all.  Some people realize that there are people out there that work hard only to be denied their dream (of college admission) because they do not have the money to go to college.  If I am a NA woman that realizes that there are many (NA women) that want to go to college but know that money is their biggest obstacle then I might start a scholarship to see them reach their goal.  This isn't a handout it's help to those that deserve it because they work for it.

Ahh, I guess you ran out of intelligent words.  I am not ignorant since I understand the difference between a handout and a scholarship.  I understand that hard work and grades are the most important requirement to any scholarship. But you keep trying, okay? 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

There were 50 girls and 25 guys.... really? You really want to go there? 

I honestly think that it's bullshit to say "Ohhh you're a female who wants equal rights... okay... but you can only apply for certain scholarships!" 

BULLSHIT! You're just as ignorant as anyone else who believes that women are equal but have to do more work than men. Want equal rights.... then work for the rights. Just like a man does! Work for them just like a black does, or hispanic, etc.

Quoting Iconoclast:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

So what you're saying is that just because someone is black, hispanic, left handed, single parent, walks on the right side of the road instead of the left it's fair? NOPE!! I don't. How about Grades? Grades should be a factor, how active you are in your school, sports, community, etc. 

Yes, because those that supply the money for the scholarship believe it is fair.  By your thinking people that receive scholarships for anything would be wrong.  There are scholarships for everything and the requirements start with something known to be missing in the field chosen; so there may be scholarships for women in journalism, scholarships for single moms to work towards business degrees.  Scholarships for minorities in politics.  These scholarships don't shrug off the need to be hard working and academically strong they have an extra hope to include those who wish to pursue degrees that are not on average populated by that minority. 

I earned scholarships in bowling because I was a great bowler. Not because I was a girl, white, etc. It was because I always placed nothing less than 3rd place in any event. 

And it could have been because not many girls are trying to be great bowlers. big smile mini

If you want to be all for segrating (because that's exactly what it is) for handouts, scholarships, etc.... go for it... But if you want to scream "Blacks, whites, hispanics, etc should all have equal rights...." you're just ignorant. (general speaking)  

It's not segregation nor is it a handout.  The students must still work hard to get the scholarship, if not then we would all have one, now wouldn't we.

My friend is far from lost for denying the scholarships. She's an extremely bright young lady. She grew up with her parents (she's adopted) always EXPECTING handouts to be given to them because they were black. They fostered children so they didn't have to work because they received checks for the fostered children. They tried to force their entitlement mentality on her. It didn't work.

Then there's more to the story....

Quoting Iconoclast:
Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

We don't discuss race because I refuse to allow my children to be like their deadbeat sperm donors who have that mentality. I've raised my children to believe they are individuals who can accomplish whatever they want with the hard work the put into their success. 

How does speaking about race stop them from understanding that success is brought about by hard work?  Knowledge of race doesn't cease one from knowing they are an individual. 

I've never denied their background history... if they want to know about it, I'll talk to them about it... but it's not something they bring up because they want nothing to do with their sperm donors. They love my ancestory, not their sperm donors. 

It seems as though you have an issue with the sperm donors (rightly so I'm sure) but that is also a part of their background.  I guess I don't understand how their history (learning, understanding, knowing) takes a hit because of the sperm donors.

A scholarship based on race is stupid. It doesn't make kids work hard for what they want to succeed in.... it's like saying "Hey, you have green eyes, here's a scholarship!" or "Hey, you're a little bit darker skinned so you must be either Hispanic or black/African American so here's a scholarship." It gives even more kids the entitlement of "Hey I don't have to do shit and I'll get money to go to school!" 

Do you understand the requirements of those scholarships that you believe are based on race?  Are you also against scholarships for women, single mothers,left handed people, Spanish speaking people?  Do you realize that there is no scholarship given because someone is darkskined but there is one for green eyes.  

I have a friend of mine who is 22 yrs old, Cuban, Black, Brazilian, and white. She actually turned down the $15k in scholarships because she wanted to pay for her education instead of it being handed to her. She values her education more than the ones who got the scholarships because SHE PAID for it. The other 4 kids who received the scholarship that she turned down all quit college and are in low paying jobs. She's almost done with her starting on her Masters in Psychology with the specialization in children and adolescents.

Wow your friend sounds lost (for lack of a better word).  If she was offered a scholarship then more than her background came into play and I don't understand how help (earned help) would make her take her education less seriously.  Some people do well at college and some don't race and scholarships don't detemine that.  If she was serious about her degree turning down a scholarship didn't change that fact.

Quoting Iconoclast:

Why do you view it as a handout?  Do you plan on denying any scholarships because it is a "handout"?  Why wouldn't you speak about race?  Your kids will probably come into contact with people of all different races, they will come into contact with people who will ask about their background.  Why is it bad to understand your background?

I am really intrigued and I also have biracial children.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Ehhh I actually agree with the person you're quoting and my children are mixed. I don't raise my children to expect handouts, scholarships, etc because of their mixed background. Skin color, race, etc isn't brought up in our house and I refuse to allow it to be brought up. If someone wants to succeed bad enough, they will without handouts. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

Look at your comment, now back to mine. Now back at your comment now back to mine. Sadly it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through comments, writing the comment your comment could look like. What did you post? Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again the reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Really?  As a low-mid class (not quite poor), smart white female who didn't get scholarships based on color (are there any?) I was shocked and rather insulted to learn that Aff Action benefits white women the most - I got where I did in school b/c of my ability not b/c of vagina - and I'm insulted to think that a system was in place to give ME an advantage - I don't need one - but "thanks" for thinking women can't do it on their own, thanks for that bode of confidence.

Sucked to be sitting in grad school and have the thought "even though I am really smart, am I here b/c of my ability/test scores/intelligence or am I here because of my gender?

And considering there are more females than males in college, perhaps whatever "help" women have been getting should end,

Quoting momtoscott:

As a poor white smart female, the scholarships that I got on that basis made it possible for me to go to a good school.  I was grateful for them and didn't spend them on beer money.  

Quoting talia-mom:

My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.

CafeMom Tickers

momtoscott
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I am writing of my own experience, where being poor, white, smart and female helped me.  I don't think it benefited me "the most," but those things did help me get into and pay for an expensive private school.  It was typical AA of my time, probably not yours--I imagine I am older than you.  I didn't have any qualms about accepting the assistance, because I knew that I was going to pay back my loans and contribute to society thanks to my education.   

Without financial aid in the form of multiple scholarships, loans, grants, and work study, I would not have been able to afford anything other than community college, but I think I have paid back by being a productive part of the USA.   

Quoting JCB911:

Really?  As a low-mid class (not quite poor), smart white female who didn't get scholarships based on color (are there any?) I was shocked and rather insulted to learn that Aff Action benefits white women the most - I got where I did in school b/c of my ability not b/c of vagina - and I'm insulted to think that a system was in place to give ME an advantage - I don't need one - but "thanks" for thinking women can't do it on their own, thanks for that bode of confidence.

Quoting momtoscott:

As a poor white smart female, the scholarships that I got on that basis made it possible for me to go to a good school.  I was grateful for them and didn't spend them on beer money.  

Quoting talia-mom:

My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I didn't get any assistance - but did i get accepted to grad school b/c of my gender. If I wasn't there on my own merits, then I shouldn't have been there.

Now when it comes to loans etc - yeah, those in need (regardless of color/gender) should get those.  And I'm all about saving money or getting free money - So if someone wanted to give my money b/c I was a white woman, that'd be fine - I do want to know that my abilities are what got me into school though.  How it's paid for isn't as much as a concern just as long as those that are there "deserve" to be there.

I'm 33. Masters was completed in 2008.

Quoting momtoscott:

I am writing of my own experience, where being poor, white, smart and female helped me.  I don't think it benefited me "the most," but those things did help me get into and pay for an expensive private school.  It was typical AA of my time, probably not yours--I imagine I am older than you.  I didn't have any qualms about accepting the assistance, because I knew that I was going to pay back my loans and contribute to society thanks to my education.   

Without financial aid in the form of multiple scholarships, loans, grants, and work study, I would not have been able to afford anything other than community college, but I think I have paid back by being a productive part of the USA.   

Quoting JCB911:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting talia-mom:

CafeMom Tickers

momtoscott
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I'm sure you were there of your own merit.  Just FYI, I am almost 20 years older than you are, so my experiences are, um, more vintage than yours...I got my masters in 1998 and had taken a lot of time off before I went to grad school.  

Having sat on audition and application committees at various levels, I would have to say that it's a bit of a crap shoot, trying to decide who is going to benefit the most from assistance of one kind or another.  If I ever get to the point of being successful enough to endow a scholarship, I have no major idea of what criteria I am going to want applied, but I am going to have a picture in my mind of a deserving person who needs the extra money for whatever reason.  

As a musician, my criteria might be more for income and ability than anything else.  Possibly there would be people who qualified for the scholarship who didn't need every dollar of it, but I would still think it was valuable and not taking an advantage of them or of those who didn't get the scholarship.  

Quoting JCB911:

I didn't get any assistance - but did i get accepted to grad school b/c of my gender. If I wasn't there on my own merits, then I shouldn't have been there.

Now when it comes to loans etc - yeah, those in need (regardless of color/gender) should get those.  And I'm all about saving money or getting free money - So if someone wanted to give my money b/c I was a white woman, that'd be fine - I do want to know that my abilities are what got me into school though.  How it's paid for isn't as much as a concern just as long as those that are there "deserve" to be there.

I'm 33. Masters was completed in 2008.

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting JCB911:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting talia-mom:

im23vaughn
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Because they are prejudice. They did a news special one it & it didn't matter if the name was AA or Arabic the results were the same compared to white sounding names. The leading agents knew nothing about the potential tenants. Not their income, looks, or etc. I've seen many areas of town and race doesn't make you a good tenant.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting im23vaughn:

White priviledge doesn't mean you won't be poor if you are white. It just means that people in power ( jobs, appts, & mankind in general) typically give you the benefit of the doubt. If you make a few mistakes its easier to get back on you feet. When you apply for a job with a white name you are 2xs a likely to get a call back compared to a person with an ethnic sounding name & the same credentials. That's the difference between sitting in the unemployment line & working. Apt complexes are more likely to tell you there's a vacancy if you sound white than ethnic.

WHY? Got any ideas?

People make assumptions. People assume all Asians are.good in math, all Mexicans are hardworkers (or illegals), all blacks are ghetto, all.southerners are Hicks. Wrong or right people assume. Whites don't get that. not in a way that will prevent then from getting the average job & etc. t that's white privilege. i.know i didn't explain it great & I'm mobile lol

Oh & there are no absolutes so this doesn't apply for ALL whites. I've been followed in the store even though i make great $$. I've been ignored & a lot if minorities grow up bring told they are inferior. They are criminals, welfare queens, losers. Its hard to rise above it when the wotld is telling you minorities, are losers with the exception if a few

Radarma
by "OneDar" on May. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Yeah, ok.
Quoting im23vaughn:

Because they are prejudice. They did a news special one it & it didn't matter if the name was AA or Arabic the results were the same compared to white sounding names. The leading agents knew nothing about the potential tenants. Not their income, looks, or etc. I've seen many areas of town and race doesn't make you a good tenant.

Quoting Radarma:

Quoting im23vaughn:

White priviledge doesn't mean you won't be poor if you are white. It just means that people in power ( jobs, appts, & mankind in general) typically give you the benefit of the doubt. If you make a few mistakes its easier to get back on you feet. When you apply for a job with a white name you are 2xs a likely to get a call back compared to a person with an ethnic sounding name & the same credentials. That's the difference between sitting in the unemployment line & working. Apt complexes are more likely to tell you there's a vacancy if you sound white than ethnic.

WHY? Got any ideas?

People make assumptions. People assume all Asians are.good in math, all Mexicans are hardworkers (or illegals), all blacks are ghetto, all.southerners are Hicks. Wrong or right people assume. Whites don't get that. not in a way that will prevent then from getting the average job & etc. t that's white privilege. i.know i didn't explain it great & I'm mobile lol

Oh & there are no absolutes so this doesn't apply for ALL whites. I've been followed in the store even though i make great $$. I've been ignored & a lot if minorities grow up bring told they are inferior. They are criminals, welfare queens, losers. Its hard to rise above it when the wotld is telling you minorities, are losers with the exception if a few

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM

What gets me is that it's so often people who indeed are incredibly comfortable who say things like this (as if those poor people are going to take their home theaters or something) and/or white middle class people on disability, although they seem to be able to do anything they WANT to do (which does not include work).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured