Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FB post - perfect example of white privilege

Posted by   + Show Post

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM
4 moms liked this
My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.
rfurlongg
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM
If everyone started off on equal playing fields there would be no need for those programs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a big exception, and certainly not the majority. And, shame on him for taking away from the monorities who truly need the programs.

For instance, my daughter would be considered a minority, however she will never take advantage of those kinds of programs because she doesn't need them. 

Quoting talia-mom:

My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
It was for minorities not poor minorities.
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM
talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Football is not the same thing and you know it.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/p_diddy_son_ucla_scholarship_justin_combs.php

yea because only "white" people are privileged.....

NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

then you are full of sh*t. tell me how this is ok. I'm making the point that "whites" are not the only privileged ppl around. Also I am against the way we glorify sports in this country.

Quoting talia-mom:

Football is not the same thing and you know it.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/p_diddy_son_ucla_scholarship_justin_combs.php

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Haha! This was my sentiment exactly.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Well, good luck with this post. :)

I agree with you but have no tolerance for bullshit and ignorance today, so I'll wish you luck and dart out of this one!

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Not full of anything. You can't stop being a minority but you can stop being a football player.

Those scholarships are achievement based. These minority scholarships are not If you just get one for being a minority.

Quoting NorseGodessMom: 
then you are full of sh*t. tell me how this is ok. I'm making the point that "whites" are not the only privileged ppl around. Also I am against the way we glorify sports in this country.
Quoting talia-mom:Football is not the same thing and you know it.
Quoting NorseGodessMom:

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I was going to say most of mine are my in-laws. I just hide the really obnoxious ones.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Severe lack of perspective, and possibly education. My Facebook is riddled with these kinds of people, I've been slowly weeding them out. Unfortunately, some are family members....

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Precicely. 

WHY don't people get that? 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Yes, those who need the minority programs are the ones who want equal opportunities. If equal opportunity truly existed, there wouldn't be a need for "minority" based programs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)