Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FB post - perfect example of white privilege

Posted by   + Show Post

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:28 PM
You mean highly ignorant and uneducated........

How people can either A) form opinions when they have no knowledge of a subject or 2) completely ignore statistical data, is beyond me.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

It is brilliant and true,not ignorant.

NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

ha please. I know there is racism, its just not only whites..

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Eh, you sound exactly like my fb peeps who think that there is no such thing as racism or inequality just because there is a small number of successful minorities.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

wow nice of you to assume I am white....

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Not only whites are privileged, but there is such a thing as white privilege and it seems like you got a bad case of it.

Are you saying national statistics lie, or are you intentionally implying that we are so ignorant that we think only white people are, like, EVER privileged?

Methinks you should do some research before replying.....

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

Like I said POINTING OUT THAT NOT ONLY WHITES ARE PRIVILEGED! I am sick of everyone saying its a white thing. Only white ppl can be racist, only whites are privileged. And guess what people Whites are soon to be the "minority" so can we please us a different word.

Quoting talia-mom:

Not full of anything. You can't stop being a minority but you can stop being a football player.

Those scholarships are achievement based. These minority scholarships are not If you just get one for being a minority.

Quoting NorseGodessMom: 
then you are full of sh*t. tell me how this is ok. I'm making the point that "whites" are not the only privileged ppl around. Also I am against the way we glorify sports in this country.

Quoting talia-mom:Football is not the same thing and you know it.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/p_diddy_son_ucla_scholarship_justin_combs.php
yea because only "white" people are privileged.....

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

A comment like the OP is blind to reality.

KreatingMe
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Do we have any recent statistics on this? I think it's complete bullshit now. As if there aren't poor white people, that's bs.  Do you know what I think the real white privilege is ? The upper class white people that spout ignorant stuff like minorities are worse off than whites because they're so damned privileged that have never been to the neighborhoods or went to the schools to know where the poor white people are.  

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Unfortunately, poverty and minorities generally go hand in hand. Obviously, there are exceptions as in any case, however your chances of being born into poverty as a minority are drastically highter than a non-minority. According to statistics, opportunity is NOT equal across the board. 

Quoting LAHnTAH0812:

Opportunities DO exist equally, as far as race is concerned. That's why there are successful people of all races. Poverty affects opportunity far worse than race.

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Yes, those who need the minority programs are the ones who want equal opportunities. If equal opportunity truly existed, there wouldn't be a need for "minority" based programs.

KreatingMe
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Really, there's a scholarship for being white or European American?

Quoting autodidact:

There are targeted scholarships for all ethnic groups. 

Quoting talia-mom:

My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.

mom23heathens
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Exactly. I am so sick of the schools asking me to choose a race for my child. I am of TWO separate races and my first husband is of one of those races therefore obviously my 2 kids with him are basically of that race but have been raised solely by me and my mother and know nothing about being that race. My third child is half what I am and half of a completely different race because her father is. Technically she would be considered biracial. I just can't justify picking ONE race for any of my kids or myself. I feel it cancels out the other parent. Why is it so importantto "classify" the kids by race? I am told it's for stastical purposes. Well why do they need to know how many hispanic kids passed/failed or african american kids passed or failed. Why can't it just be that X amount of kids passed/failed and where? If we are ever going to be equal it means equal every which way. I have inlaws telling me my youngest will get better scholarships if I pick the minority race. wth? I want my child to succeed based on her own efforts and achievements not because of her race. Isn't that the point of equal? 

Quoting cherlygirlie:

I actually get annoyed that there is even the question on ANY type of paperwork regarding race (aside from medical, for obvious reasons). There will never be equality until we stop asking

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

really, there are. 

for Poles and Celts and Slavs, etc,.

https://www.mycollegeoptions.org/F/0/WhiteCaucasian/search-results-scholarship-search-by-ethnicity.aspx

This paper presents data concerning the distribution of grants and scholarships by race. It debunks the

race myth, which claims that minority students receive more than their fair share of scholarships. The

reality is that minority students are less likely to win private scholarships or receive merit-based

institutional grants than Caucasian1 students.

http://www.fastweb.com/nfs/fastweb/static/PDFs/Race%20Scholarships.pdf

Quoting KreatingMe:

Really, there's a scholarship for being white or European American?

Quoting autodidact:

There are targeted scholarships for all ethnic groups. 

Quoting talia-mom:

My friend who was the son of two doctors certainly needed his minority scholarship for beer money in college.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM
4 moms liked this
How do you get to that playing field? My grandfather was an immigrant who managed to work hard and give his family a comfortable life. My father went to the 8th grade before he had to quit to go to work. He went into the navy and found a good job after he got out. It wasn't fancy, but it paid the bills well enough for me to be raised in the suburbs. Nothing was handed to my father or grandfather but they managed to pull themselves up and do well. Bill Cosby said it the best. It's time to stop blaming the white guy and look in the mirror. When you have women popping out out multiple babies with multiple fathers, dragging men in and out of the house, kids don't have stability. When you have men getting women pregnant and leaving like it's a badge of honor, the kids suffer. When nobody cares if you go to school, or you get harassed for trying to better yourself, it's not the white guys fault. Detroit is one of the worst cities in the country and they have a graduation rate of 32%. The schools may not have the same quality of education that you get in the suburbs, but if you apply yourself and get a diploma you can at least get help going to college. I realize we're talking about reversing behavior that has been bred into them for generations, but they are still making choices and have to take responsibily for those choices. I made some not so great choices in life, but I want better for my children. School is a priority in our house. I already have one college graduate, and I'm on the way to having 2 more. I chose to make sure they did better than I did.

Quoting rfurlongg:

If everyone started off on equal playing fields there would be no need for those programs.

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I am torn on this issue. On the one hand, from age 14 I had to work and be responsible for two siblings after school. I am white. My parents divorced and my mother could barely keep the roof over our heads and she was working her butt off and making art to sell on the side. I didnt have a car or transportation or even a bike til I was 18 and would skateboard miles to get to work and try to get a lift home from co workers in exchange for a few dollars gas money. At 17 I graduated with only C's...I had been a straight A student until age 15. I moved out at 17 to lighten the burden of expense for my mom and sisters. Dad said that if I paid for my own college courses and got A's he would reimburse me the money I spent. I was able to scratch together enough for 3 courses. I made A's, but my dad went back on his word and did not reimburse me. I could not keep up with working so many hours, with just a skateboard for transportation, with classes,bills,no health insurance. Should be a poverty issue, not race!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Why does that bother you? Explain.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)