Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FB post - perfect example of white privilege

Posted by   + Show Post

"It just amazes me how the same people who scream for equal opportunities are the same ones who insist they are entitled to "minority enrollment" and "Minority" grants for college etc. If we are really going to have equal opportunities for all then its time to get rid of minority programs so that it is an equal playing field"

Posts like this make me want to scream due to their sheer ignorance. Ugh.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 3, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course it's possible. I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't possible. However, because of things like institutionalized racism, the work is harder. It takes more to get to the top for a minority than it does for whites.

Ignoring that that's a problem, is one of the issues America has today. These things won't be done away with until America realizes that race and racism is still a huge problem in this country.

Quoting JTROX:

Work hard, get ahead, its possible for any race.

RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 3, 2013 at 6:57 PM
I have white family members that spew that ignorant bullshit on FB, and will hug me at our family reunions. What they don't realize is that by making those kinds of statements, they're proving the existence of white privilege.
cabrandy03
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Sorry but I totally agree with this statement.  How will it ever be equal when minorities get special treatment? 

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel ya

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Severe lack of perspective, and possibly education. My Facebook is riddled with these kinds of people, I've been slowly weeding them out. Unfortunately, some are family members....

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Precicely. 

WHY don't people get that? 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Yes, those who need the minority programs are the ones who want equal opportunities. If equal opportunity truly existed, there wouldn't be a need for "minority" based programs.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting cabrandy03:

Sorry but I totally agree with this statement.  How will it ever be equal when minorities get special treatment? 

It isn't special treatment; it's working to even the playing field. One day it will no longer be needed. 

This country has a history of oppressing certain people who have suffered dearly due to that oppression. It benefits all of us if we work to pull people out of poverty and into the middle class.

Cubanmom84
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM

And its great how we are are "equal" but am still called a "minority" ..... 

cabrandy03
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.  Programs like affirmative action are special treatment and only prolog the oppression  .  How can you fight for equal rights but then expect to have to rules bent in your favor?  There are people of all races that are at a disadvantage for one reason or another.  That's just life.  If you work hard you can achieve whatever you want to regardless of race, economic standing, gender, etc.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting cabrandy03:

It isn't special treatment; it's working to even the playing field. One day it will no longer be needed. 

This country has a history of oppressing certain people who have suffered dearly due to that oppression. It benefits all of us if we work to pull people out of poverty and into the middle class.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Don't we wish. Racism and the old boys' network are alive and well. 

Quoting cabrandy03:

I disagree.  Programs like affirmative action are special treatment and only prolog the oppression  .  How can you fight for equal rights but then expect to have to rules bent in your favor?  There are people of all races that are at a disadvantage for one reason or another.  That's just life.  If you work hard you can achieve whatever you want to regardless of race, economic standing, gender, etc.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting cabrandy03:

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM

the word should be ethnicity based scholarships, there are many for caucasian ethnicities, as well. 

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

Like I said POINTING OUT THAT NOT ONLY WHITES ARE PRIVILEGED! I am sick of everyone saying its a white thing. Only white ppl can be racist, only whites are privileged. And guess what people Whites are soon to be the "minority" so can we please us a different word.

Quoting talia-mom:

Not full of anything. You can't stop being a minority but you can stop being a football player.

Those scholarships are achievement based. These minority scholarships are not If you just get one for being a minority.

Quoting NorseGodessMom: 
then you are full of sh*t. tell me how this is ok. I'm making the point that "whites" are not the only privileged ppl around. Also I am against the way we glorify sports in this country.

Quoting talia-mom:Football is not the same thing and you know it.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:
http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/05/p_diddy_son_ucla_scholarship_justin_combs.php
yea because only "white" people are privileged.....

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh boy. This'll garner the usual suspects screaming the usual things...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)