Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

0 Tolerance taken entirely too far? Student facing criminal charges for a science experiment gone wrong.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 56 Replies

Did a teenager's curiosity get the better of her?

A high school student at Bartow High School  in Bartow, Fla., was arrested and expelled from school for allegedly blowing up a water bottle, Florida's WTSP.com reports. According to WTSP, 16-year-old Kiera Wilmot was the last person anybody at her high school expected to get in trouble with the authorities.

Wilmot's case is currently being discussed heavily on social media sites, including Reddit and Reason, where people are asking why she was expelled over what appeared to be a science experiment gone wrong.

Wilmot is accused of mixing household chemicals in an 8-ounce water bottle on school premises Monday, causing the top to come off with a pop and produce some smoke.

A police report obtained by the Miami New Times shows that Wilmot was mixing toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil.

The incident didn't cause any injuries or damage.

WTSP reports that Wilmot told police she was "merely conducting a science experiment." Although her teachers did not know anything about the project and it was not conducted during a class, her principal Ron Pritchard agreed, calling her an exemplary student with a good record.

"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone," the principal told the station. "She wanted to see what would happen [when she mixed the chemicals] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked, too."

It could have been a science project or just curiosity, he added.

Most of her classmates also agreed that she wasn't trying to hurt anybody.

Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer after the explosion and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device.

She has been expelled from school and will continue her education through an expulsion program.

Wilmot's school district, Polk County School, released a statement saying the incident "was a serious breach of conduct."

"Anytime a student makes a bad choice it is disappointing to us," the statement said. "In order to maintain a safe and orderly learning environment, we simply must uphold our code of conduct rules. We urge our parents to join us in conveying the message that there are consequences to actions. We will not compromise the safety and security of our students and staff."

_____

MSN News on Facebook and Twitter

Stay up to date on breaking news and current events.

Friend us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/news.msn

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/msnnews

by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:25 PM
3 moms liked this

thats it! I'm moving to a farm and homeschooling!

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM

O.o

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This is not far from me. I sure hope they reconsider. 

smurfbitebug
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah. Uphold that code of conduct, people. Don't question their huge overreaction. Don't allow your children to be curious or imaginative. There are consequences. Severe, over the top consequences that are not to be veered from no matter if the kid was actually trying to hurt people or not.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 1, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Can I come? 

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Well if it was not related to school then why do it at school. Blow up something at home. How was she so not suprevised at school? But I don't really care if she's a straight a student or whatever she made a choice to do something stupid and these are the consequences. Plus if she looked this up online then she knew what would happen. Lastly can you imagine the uproar if the school did nothing and in a year this girl is a home grown bomber? Yeah sorry but the school made the right call and this girl made a dumb decision.
NorseGodessMom
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:39 PM

yea sure we will bring back the... what did the hippies call it when they lived off the land together but were not a colt.... camun?

Quoting cjsbmom:

Can I come? 

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

tambrathegreat
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yeah!  We should punish everyone with curiosity and a thirst for knowledge.  We don't need that in our society at all!!!

Quoting LilliesValley:

Well if it was not related to school then why do it at school. Blow up something at home. How was she so not suprevised at school? But I don't really care if she's a straight a student or whatever she made a choice to do something stupid and these are the consequences. Plus if she looked this up online then she knew what would happen. Lastly can you imagine the uproar if the school did nothing and in a year this girl is a home grown bomber? Yeah sorry but the school made the right call and this girl made a dumb decision.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Commune. :)

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

yea sure we will bring back the... what did the hippies call it when they lived off the land together but were not a colt.... camun?

Quoting cjsbmom:

Can I come? 

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok so let's say this girl's curiosity caused two students to die and a couple to lose limbs and for shits and giggles tens of thousands of dollars in damages then what? This girl did something wrong and stupid. It's not like she got permission or was under the supervision of a teacher and something went wrong she just did it. Thus putting people in danger. Knowledge is fine but you need to use common sense too. I'm sure if she had oh I don't know gone to her science teacher and said I'd like to try this experiment they could have said sure but we need to do it outside after school. This girl is almost an adult. Make the wrong call as an adult and you end up in jail.

And again saying she was doing an experiment could easily be a cover. Maybe this girl was bullied and this was a test bomb or maybe she had an agenda put on her by a relative. After all a 19 year old kid just did help to blow people up. Maybe someone thought he just had a "thirst for knowledge. "

Bottom line is if she wanted to "experiment" at school she should have had the proper assistance and done it at the right time. Hell she might have been able to get extra credit or perhaps use it as a basis to form a science club. Life is about action and consequences for those actions. This girl has now been taught that.

Quoting tambrathegreat:

Yeah!  We should punish everyone with curiosity and a thirst for knowledge.  We don't need that in our society at all!!!

Quoting LilliesValley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN