Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Nearly half of Republicans believe an armed revolution may be needed

Posted by   + Show Post

Anthony Santor helps a customer select a rifle at Freddie Bear Sports sporting goods store on January 19, 2012 in Tinley Park, Illinois.

A new survey finds that nearly half of Republican voters believe that an "armed revolution" may be necessary against the U.S. government in the near future.

Such a large part of the Republican platform is the vocal support of gun rights and the Second Amendment. Equally vocal is the conservative hatred and paranoia for government and their fear of a government takeover. According to a survey by Fairleigh Dickinson University's PublicMind, 44 percent of Republicans polled said they believe an "armed revolution" might be needed against the federal government in order for them to defend their freedom and liberties. The number is more than double the 18 percent of Democrats who also agreed in an "armed revolution."

When asked about gun control, the supporters of both parties are polar opposites. Almost two-thirds, 73 percent of Democrats say that Congress should pass new and stricter gun legislation, but 65 percent of Republicans oppose any new laws involving guns. Dan Cassino, a professor of political science at Fairleigh Dickinson, notes that the emotional reaction to gun control following the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School has faded.

“If there was a bipartisan moment after Sandy Hook to pass gun control legislation, it’s past. Partisan views have strongly re-asserted themselves, and there’s no sign that they’ll get any weaker.”

The survey also notes that a third of Republicans, 32 percent, believe the truth about the shootings at Sandy Hook are being covered up and are a possible conspiracy.

"Turning to attitudes toward the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012, which prompted the recent debate over the need for new gun control laws, the survey finds that overall, a quarter (25%) of Americans think that facts about the shootings at Sandy Hook elementary last year are being hidden and an additional eleven percent are unsure. Republicans are more likely to think that the truth about Sandy Hook is being suppressed, with 32 percent agreeing."

The poll reinforces the belief that many gun rights advocates are often paranoid and have an irrational fear of government.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Replies (41-50):
tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:19 PM
3 moms liked this

That isn't much and I never got asked.As for IF it was to ever happen.I have more faith in our military than to shoot Americans I think most would not.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 1, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I am just praying we get a candidate worthy of the office in 2016. At this point I don't care what party they hail from, I just want someone who will truly represent the People, and uphold their word. Praying for a miracle. 

Not going to lie, I will definitely be celebrating the end of this 8 year run, and hoping to celebrate a new LEADER. Leader being the operative word. 

Quoting turtle68:

All good :-)  It depends with me.  At the moment I dislike with intensity our head of state...she is a moron that has ruined our major party.

She is killing it and will lose by a landslide.

However...the opposition leader is a MAJOR MORON...

so no party here...one moron replaces another and we the people have to live through a 4 year bitch fest until they regroup and give us someone worthy of leading

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Pretty sure it's going to be a heck of a party. Lol 

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

They want to start a new civil war so bad, they can't stand themselves. What will they do when he quietly leaves office after the new president is elected? They'll be more disappointed than the time after Y2K didn't destroy the world.
Oh well, good luck in the next global catastrophe

LOL...this is what I think.  Stockpiling guns, having fenced off "retreats" ...When Obama leaves office they will die from disappointment.

joey125
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM
4 moms liked this

It did happen our military shot and killed college kids back in the late sixties, during a protest.  I remember that well, it was a disgrace.   People who flippantly say they think some sort of civil war should occur are plain ignorant , they do not have a clue as to what they are talking about.    We all need to stop all the hate speech and conspiracy theories and unite as a country , the president is NOT the enemy.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM
8 moms liked this
What is hilarious is that if a conservative had posted such a biased slant and claimed that under 900 people polled was even Remotely representative of the whole country, the same liberals here lapping up the bullshit would be screaming bloody murder over the obvious bias. It is incredible that women who can smell a conservative bullshit piece a mile away are licking up this liberal one with gusto.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Is there a link to the actual study?

Nevermind my phone wasn't showing the hyper link

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Nor is he infallible.

Quoting joey125:

It did happen our military shot and killed college kids back in the late sixties, during a protest.  I remember that well, it was a disgrace.   People who flippantly say they think some sort of civil war should occur are plain ignorant , they do not have a clue as to what they are talking about.    We all need to stop all the hate speech and conspiracy theories and unite as a country , the president is NOT the enemy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by Matlock on May. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Nope, it isn't.  Just look at the Tea Party and/or the hated for the most recent "boogeyman", the Muslims & Arabs.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

It's about twisting the laws.
Those that oppose the government are now considered possible terrorist threats. Alongside them are those who are anti abortion as well as independent voters.
In a time of "civil unrest" or "mass protest" are the key words in many an executive order being passed through law that make people uneasy.
Most military members take their oath very seriously, but it is not that hard to sway a mass into believing who is against the country.
Look at some of these posts. Republicans and democrats are now how people are labeled, people from opposing political parties take that to heart and it causes serious tension among neighbors. Who's to sort out the right and the wrong?

Quoting Healthystart30:

Huh. I thought republicans considered themselves more patriotic and pro military. How do they think the federal government would even have a chance without military support?

And in the near future? I know a lot of people in the military that would be equally offended that the people actually believe they would turn their guns on them!

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Yes, on the OP the pdf is linked. That is how we know under 900 people were polled.

Quoting soonergirl980:

Is there a link to the actual study?

Nevermind my phone wasn't showing the hyper link

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joey125
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I agree, he is human just like all the other presidents.  People can disagree with him, his policies, but I do see lots of hate.  I don't think its all of the Republicans not at all, but they do have their fringe, and right now the fringe is really off the charts.  

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

When surveyed for these things, are people asked what their political party is?

I don't agree with an "armed revolution" but I do believe we have a good percentage of people who are incredibly upset with our government and have had enough that honestly do feel this way about taking back what they feel they've lost.

That can be mocked and that be looked down on, but they're equally within their rights to feel this way as those who feel they're being ridiculous and opine there go those a$$hole Repubs again.

It would be an unbelievably stupid thing for any of these folks to follow through with their desires.

For now, that's all I see it as--spoken desires to right what they feel is many wrongs, even if some of those "wrongs" are out in left field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN