Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who on earth buys their five year old a rifle for his birthday? And oops he accidently shot his two year old sister and now she's dead??!!!! What is wrong with these people???????
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Replies (61-64):
mermaid13dragon
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Oh that poor little boy, it truly wasn't his fault, it was the IDIOT parents for leaving a loaded gun laying around and now he is going to grow up KNOWING he killed his own sister. When he's older he will vaguely remember having a little sister and have the pain that he killed her in his heart forever. Those stupid stupid parents! I'm not really anti-gun, but I just can't wrap my head around the stupidity of an utterly preventable tragedy. 

I have a four and two year old, and there's a least three times a day an instance when a TOY is being used incorrectly that I have to stop and say, we don't do "blah blah blah" as someone could get hurt. I shudder to think if there was actually something deadly that could be misused while I was - doing the dishes, or laundry with my head turned away a moment. With young children, there's a constant vigilance with needing to supervise their play. How long would it take for any of you with young children, if you left a LOADED GUN sitting in the corner next to the toys, it's just so tragic. I guess I wrote this original post because I was simply shocked about the tragedy in the news, and I was truly imagining what on earth would my four year old be feeling if the tragedy had occurred in our house - but - we don't keep any firearms at our home. If we did ever consider having firearms, they would be locked away in a gun safe, completely inaccessible.  

It's just sad, and stupid, and IT WAS SO PREVENTABLE.  (sigh) 

lga1965
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Kids can learn to hunt when they are older--say 16, not 5. All of your replies are totally one-sided.

Quoting Carpy:

We need to get this "God" guy.  He's killing everyone.  (sorry old George Carlin rant)  Here is how I see it.  That is pretty damn stupid.  But let me ask this, becuase this is what I equate it to.  We can't lump all Muslims under an umbrella of violence because of the actions of a few.  Why do we lump all gun owners under one umbrella because of the actions of a few? 

This was beyond stupid.  The parents should be punished for it.  They will suffer the rest of their lives but some prison time should be called for to go along with it. 

Most people who introduce their kids to guns are not doing it out of instilling fear and the need to protect themselves.  They are introducing them to guns, and gun safety so that when they reach the age to legally hunt, they are prepared.

Quoting Raintree:

The family is calling this 'god's will'. 

I mean.. I just.. can't... .. 

Quoting Carpy:

I live in a major hunting culture and I do not know anyone who gives guns to young children without properly supervising them when they shoot and not allowing them access to the gun otherwise.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Carpy:

Despite what you hear from the anti gun wacko's, most teach them gun safety and hunting.  kids must go through gun safety before they can hunt, hunting is huge in many areas here.

Quoting romalove:

This is completely outside my realm of understanding.

I "get" that those who think guns are wonderful and necessary and protective also think that they are making their kids safe by teaching them to be responsible with guns starting at an early age.

What I don't understand is how to get past the feeling that I am putting a weapon of killing into the hands of a young child, that I am showing them not just protection but also aggression and that the world is such a dangerous place they must know how to shoot.

I continue to think this is a regional thing, I don't know anyone where I live who gives young children guns.

I have no doubt that they are being taught gun safety.

That has nothing to do with the points I make here.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM
whatever.

Quoting lga1965:

Kids can learn to hunt when they are older--say 16, not 5. All of your replies are totally one-sided.

Quoting Carpy:

We need to get this "God" guy.  He's killing everyone.  (sorry old George Carlin rant)  Here is how I see it.  That is pretty damn stupid.  But let me ask this, becuase this is what I equate it to.  We can't lump all Muslims under an umbrella of violence because of the actions of a few.  Why do we lump all gun owners under one umbrella because of the actions of a few? 

This was beyond stupid.  The parents should be punished for it.  They will suffer the rest of their lives but some prison time should be called for to go along with it. 

Most people who introduce their kids to guns are not doing it out of instilling fear and the need to protect themselves.  They are introducing them to guns, and gun safety so that when they reach the age to legally hunt, they are prepared.

Quoting Raintree:

The family is calling this 'god's will'. 

I mean.. I just.. can't... .. 

Quoting Carpy:

I live in a major hunting culture and I do not know anyone who gives guns to young children without properly supervising them when they shoot and not allowing them access to the gun otherwise.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Carpy:

Despite what you hear from the anti gun wacko's, most teach them gun safety and hunting.  kids must go through gun safety before they can hunt, hunting is huge in many areas here.

Quoting romalove:

This is completely outside my realm of understanding.

I "get" that those who think guns are wonderful and necessary and protective also think that they are making their kids safe by teaching them to be responsible with guns starting at an early age.

What I don't understand is how to get past the feeling that I am putting a weapon of killing into the hands of a young child, that I am showing them not just protection but also aggression and that the world is such a dangerous place they must know how to shoot.

I continue to think this is a regional thing, I don't know anyone where I live who gives young children guns.

I have no doubt that they are being taught gun safety.

That has nothing to do with the points I make here.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 3, 2013 at 6:05 PM

"Who on earth buys their five year old a rifle for his birthday?"

I didn't read all of the replies, but 1 question;  Someone bought a 5 year old  a rifle?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured