Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Public Housing Authority instituting ban on smoking

Posted by   + Show Post

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

Thousands of people in Jacksonville are finding out they will no longer be able to smoke in their own homes.

The people live in public housing, and a new rule will ban smoking inside their apartments.

April Cain and her family live in Blodgett Villas near downtown. She recently got a notice that says starting in October, she won't be allowed to light up inside her home.

"I think it's wrong," Cain said. "Just because it's run by the government, we should not be told what to do in our own house."

But that's exactly what the Jacksonville Housing Authority is planning to do. Smoking will not be allowed in the complexes the city owns.

"We are going to enforce it at the site level," said Frederick McKinnies, of the Housing Authority. "We have 23 sites of public housing in Jacksonville, and each manager will be required to monitor the situation. It's obvious when people smoke in their units, and some people are going to be reported by other residents, of course, and we will take the appropriate action."

That action will mean warnings and eventually could lead to evictions.

"But our purpose this first year is to be very flexible and work with the residents who want to quit smoking to provide assistance to them to do so," McKinnies said.

As expected, the news of the ban is getting mixed reactions.

"It don't bother me," resident Delores Ardley said. "A lot of that smoke, it irritates me when I be around it. So basically it don't bother me."

Derek Carson is a smoker who lives in a high rise. For him to smoke, he will have to go down 15 floors.

"I understand why they are doing it," Carson said. "I feel for people who don't smoke that have to live with people who do smoke, but still, there has got to be another way around it. And I don't know what the answer is, but I am willing to try anything."

Smoking areas will be set up outside, and for those who have a patio or balcony, they will be able to step outside. The Housing Authority will meet with residents later this month to go over the new policy, but some are saying it's just taking away their rights.

"If somebody wants to smoke inside, they should be able to smoke inside," resident Christie Krestalude said.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/smoking-banned-in-jacksonville-public-housing/-/475880/19972712/-/knw1rwz/-/index.html

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
flprincessmom
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

you should not smoke inside your home anyway....it is selfish to subject all the other members of your household (family) that lives with you to the deadly effects of 2nd hand smoke....I smoked for 22 years....and even when I lived alone (before kids), I smoked outside my home.....it stinks, and it is incredibly unhealthy to everyone....if you choose to put those chemicals in your own body...that's your prerogative...but don't make others suffer too....so I fully agree with this, and in fact the complex I live in has it in the lease that it is not allowed inside the unit, and only in designated areas. If you are caught or if they find out when you move out, you are charged for all repairs........throwing up

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM

This. My lease when I rented many moons ago, stated no pets. I wanted a cat, but I didn't. Not sure on smoking, since hubby and I don't. I'd guess that was a stipulation as well. We always got our security deposit back. Why should I have to follow rules as a renter, paying for our unit, if someone else, is having their rent paid for with my tax dollars, doesn't?  It just doesn't seem fair. Maybe I wanted to express myself, and paint my rentals' walls aqua. My lease says I can't. Lol we've worked hard, and have owned since 2001. :)

Quoting chloedee:

By having to abide by a rule in a lease? No. If they don't like it, they could always move. 

Quoting Della529:

What about Constitutionally?  Do you think these people lose their right to privacy?

Quoting chloedee:

Lots of landlords ban smoking indoors. If you want to smoke in your apartment or home, own it yourself. Until then, the person renting to you gets to make certain rules. 

acrogodess
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Shit, we rent the first floor apartment in a private house. The landlord specifies in the lease that we cannot smoke indoors. That is fine by me though because I do not allow my S/O to smoke indoors anyway.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I could not finish reading the article- too pathetic..........the problem with the argument from these tenents is that IT IS NOT "THEIR OWN HOME." !!!!!!!!!!!

They want to smoke in their own home, I have no problem with that AT ALL! Smoke away! But then, they would need to actually GET THEIR OWN HOME.

This is a very similar argument as the food stamp ban on junk food. If people need food stamps fine- I get that! But the supplemental food program does not need to fund an unhealthy lifestyle. One wants to eat crap- buy it yourself.

Aislinn
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

They do not own the home. They rent the home. Landlords are allowed to ban certain things like pets and smoking. I just had to paint and clean a house a nasty smoker, who could not open a window, lived in. It does SEVERE damage to the property that takes a LOT OF MONEY to repair. So, I say, GO OUTSIDE. I have been smoking for twenty years and my ass lives in cold ass Maine. I go outside. It is that easy.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

The problem here is that it is not "their homes" it is government housing. I could be wrong about this (doubt it but I could be), that there is no smoking allowed in government buildings. (thinking ss building, dmv, etc.......)

Quoting Della529:

No, not specifically.  But this...

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

What does it say to you?  Would they not be in "their homes"?

Quoting Tag3.0:

The constiution mentions nothing of smoking in someone lse's property. If rental properties are allowed to have stipulation and regulations than so can the government. They are providing a service, at low cost to individuals, they must follow all rules while on government property. How is this no different. If these individuals want to smoke, tell them to buy their own home or move out.

Quoting Della529:

Same questions:

What about Constitutionally?  Do you think these people lose their right to privacy?

Quoting Tag3.0:

Good, It's not their propert anyway, they should smoke out side. It ruins the property overtime, which is not good anyway, that is more money that has to be spent on renovation.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I think they should ban junk food as well and any outlet that allows internet and tv.  

Rules are already in place for maintainence and upkeep, cleanliness etc.

What the fuck people do in their own homes if its legal should be allowed not monitored.

Damn this is crazy...who the hell is going to enforce it?  How will they enforce it?  Will it be based on heresay...smell...ash found.

stupid

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

government buildings are subject to the public and the health and safety of that public....a home is not

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

The problem here is that it is not "their homes" it is government housing. I could be wrong about this (doubt it but I could be), that there is no smoking allowed in government buildings. (thinking ss building, dmv, etc.......)

Quoting Della529:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Quoting Tag3.0:

The constiution mentions nothing of smoking in someone lse's property. If rental properties are allowed to have stipulation and regulations than so can the government. They are providing a service, at low cost to individuals, they must follow all rules while on government property. How is this no different. If these individuals want to smoke, tell them to buy their own home or move out.

Quoting Della529:

Same questions:

Quoting Tag3.0:

Good, It's not their propert anyway, they should smoke out side. It ruins the property overtime, which is not good anyway, that is more money that has to be spent on renovation.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM

and to go with that logic, government owned housing is also "Public housing" (this is even noted in the second sentance of this OP)

Quoting turtle68:

government buildings are subject to the public and the health and safety of that public....a home is not

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting Tag3.0:

Quoting Della529:

Same questions:

Quoting Tag3.0:

askyourmother
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM
That is true.

Quoting chloedee:

Lots of landlords ban smoking indoors. If you want to smoke in your apartment or home, own it yourself. Until then, the person renting to you gets to make certain rules. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN