Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think all-vegetarian school meals are a good idea?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM
  • 128 Replies

School's All-Vegetarian Meal Plan Isn’t Right for All Kids

by Ericka Sóuter

veggiesThe childhood obesity problem is our national shame. Over 1/3 of kids in this country are overweight, so I applaud anyone who tries to tackle this potentially deadly issue. However, I was surprised by the approach of a group of New York City educators. A public school in Flushing, Queens is the first to serve all-vegetarian meals for breakfast and lunch.

School chefs have replaced chicken, turkey and ham with tofu and falafel. Forget tater tots and sloppy joes, these kids are chowing down on black bean and cheddar cheese quesadillas. In general, it's a great move. I think this new meal plan sounds healthy, if not exactly fair.

I doubt that most kids in that neighborhood are vegetarians.  And while I do think having vegetarian options available is a good thing, they should also offer the kids meat. There are certainly healthy, low-fat ways to cook poultry -- baked chicken, grilled turkey burgers, and turkey sandwiches would be acceptable too, I would think. Why must they eliminate meat completely?

Officials hope this is the first of many schools that will follow suit in New York City and beyond. The philosophy behind it is that if we teach our kids to make healthy choices at a young age, they will do so for the rest of their lives. But meat options can be healthy too. It is is a very important source of protein that I wish my picky eater ate more of. And he is more likely to do that when he is eating with his friends. Seeing them take a big bite of a chicken strip and sandwich encourages him to do the same. So, while a vegetarian mean plan is a definite improvement on what children have historically been served in school, it may not be best for every student. Why can’t they cook healthy alternatives for both meat eaters and vegetarians?

Do you think all-vegetarian school meals are a good idea?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM

i dont see why it would be a bad thing, i knew plenty of kids in school who were vegitarian and had to wait until they got home to eat

SuperChicken
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm a vegetarian, so I think so ;)    Nobody needs meat at every meal.  But at the same time,  vegetarian doesn't always mean healthy.    Doritos and Coke are vegetarian.  

jeweldragons
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

As long as the vegetarian meals aren't loaded with MSG, pesticides, salt, cheese, sauces and the kids are getting their nutrition needs met I think it's great.  There will be those kids who won't it and would rather go hungry though and those parents who will throw a fit about it most likely but all well.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM
3 moms liked this

My vegan dd would LOVE this as right now, her school does not cater to vegans AT ALL (aside from offering a salad bar).  I think though that there should be options offering a selection of a vegan meal and one "non-vegan" meal each day.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

eh I don't know

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
11 moms liked this

No.  Tofu is made from soy which mimics estrogen.  There have been studies proving that men today have significantly less testosterone than they used to, and this may be one of the reasons why.  Soy products can increase your risk of certain cancers if consumed a lot.  Since kids are eating lunch every single day at school, that's a lot of soy products.  If any of those kids have genetic markers for breast cancer, the school would be responsible for greatly increasing their risk.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see anything wrong with it.  Meat is kind of expensive so the schools may be able to provide something that is fresher and tastes better with some funds cleared up.  They are still being served protein and this is one of three meals in a day.

SuperChicken
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm vegetarian and I don't eat any soy at all.   Vegetarian doesn't mean tofu, lol.

Quoting kailu1835:

No.  Tofu is made from soy which mimics estrogen.  There have been studies proving that men today have significantly less testosterone than they used to, and this may be one of the reasons why.  Soy products can increase your risk of certain cancers if consumed a lot.  Since kids are eating lunch every single day at school, that's a lot of soy products.  If any of those kids have genetic markers for breast cancer, the school would be responsible for greatly increasing their risk.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

No, not everyone is a vegan.  All veggie meals a couple of times per week is fine, but deliberately and intentionally stopping anyone from eating meat (beef, chicken, pork etc) is wrong. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)