Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

pissy vent....*update*

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 63 Replies
I hate it when Dr's take a Dr. House approach to things.

Call me neurotic, ocd, whatever, but I want a test ran to confirm your diagnosis before you prescribe my child medication.

My dd has been sick since january. Horrible cough, extreme fatigue, fevers, swollen lymph nodes, lost 5 lbs and generally feeling like shit.

The dr. Looked in her ears and throat and listened to her heart and lungs. Didn't feel her lymph nodes at all.

He said he didn't hear typical pneumonia sounds in her lungs, and then diagnosed her with atypical pneumonia and prescribed antibiotics. He said if she's not better in 5 days to bring her back in.

Wtf? No tests, no chest xrays, nada. And I have a miserable, lethargic child on my hands who has an upset stomach because of the antibiotics....and who has been sick for nearly 4 fucking months.

/rant

*update*

I took her back to the dr today (last day of antibiotics) because she has a rash on her face. The dr ordered blood work and called with the results. Totally normal except for elevated percentage of lymphocytes. She has also lost another pound since Thursday. He now thinks she has mono, not pneumonia. Which means she was put on antibiotics for nothing. *sigh*
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Was this the first time you brought her in since she has been sick? 

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Hang in there!!  I do feel for you.  Make sure you give her probiotics for her stomach. 

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM
No.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I did get her some yogurt with live cultures, but I didn't know you could get probiotics otc until about an hour ago. I will be getting her some tomorroww.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Hang in there!!  I do feel for you.  Make sure you give her probiotics for her stomach. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Is it the same docotr?  If it is and he is obvisouly not doing anything about it, I would take her somehwere else

Quoting Jack_Squat:

No.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

survivorinohio
by René on May. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry mama, I hope your baby feels better soon.  Its so hard when they are sick long :(

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

You're just now getting pissed after letting her be miserable for 4 months?  Find a new doctor already.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I wouldn't accept the script either and I would be asking for a referral if this doc is your PCP for her. If you don't need a referral I would be going elsewhere.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:03 PM
This was a different dr. than she normally sees. She has been a few times this year, but her headaches were always the main focus.

But seriously, how do you say her lungs don't sound like pneumonia and then turn around and diagnose her with it without doing an xray or labs?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Is it the same docotr?  If it is and he is obvisouly not doing anything about it, I would take her somehwere else

Quoting Jack_Squat:

No.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

MariannLws
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You have a right to request tests and xrays. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN