Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
I hate it when Dr's take a Dr. House approach to things.

Call me neurotic, ocd, whatever, but I want a test ran to confirm your diagnosis before you prescribe my child medication.

My dd has been sick since january. Horrible cough, extreme fatigue, fevers, swollen lymph nodes, lost 5 lbs and generally feeling like shit.

The dr. Looked in her ears and throat and listened to her heart and lungs. Didn't feel her lymph nodes at all.

He said he didn't hear typical pneumonia sounds in her lungs, and then diagnosed her with atypical pneumonia and prescribed antibiotics. He said if she's not better in 5 days to bring her back in.

Wtf? No tests, no chest xrays, nada. And I have a miserable, lethargic child on my hands who has an upset stomach because of the antibiotics....and who has been sick for nearly 4 fucking months.

/rant

*update*

I took her back to the dr today (last day of antibiotics) because she has a rash on her face. The dr ordered blood work and called with the results. Totally normal except for elevated percentage of lymphocytes. She has also lost another pound since Thursday. He now thinks she has mono, not pneumonia. Which means she was put on antibiotics for nothing. *sigh*
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Replies (41-50):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

So glad she went back in. It sounded like mono to me with your original post, thus why I asked if she had gotten the mono spot run.  Hope she gets well very soon. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

They haven't ran shit! Other than blood work and ct scan in january to try to figure out why she was getting headaches all the time. That was the day before she started actually feeling bad, although the ER dr (we had to go through the er for her ct scan because our insurance is stupid) said then that her lymph nodes were swollen and the ct scan showed super mild sinusitis.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I'd be getting a second opinion stat. Have they run a mono spot on her?

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

They didn't do a mono spot. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

So glad she went back in. It sounded like mono to me with your original post, thus why I asked if she had gotten the mono spot run.  Hope she gets well very soon. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

They haven't ran shit! Other than blood work and ct scan in january to try to figure out why she was getting headaches all the time. That was the day before she started actually feeling bad, although the ER dr (we had to go through the er for her ct scan because our insurance is stupid) said then that her lymph nodes were swollen and the ct scan showed super mild sinusitis.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Why does that matter?

We have BlueCross and a supplemental cancer and catastrophe policy, as well.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Just out of absolute curiosity, do you have insurance or are you on Medicaid?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Well in order to positively diagnose it as mono, they have to test for it. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

They didn't do a mono spot. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this

She may have been asking because a lot of times it seems like people on Medicaid do not get the proper testing. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Why does that matter?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Whooping cough has a distinct noise that she does not have. Her bloodwork does not reflect leukemia (the percentage of lymphocytes are elevated, not the actual number, and that is indicative of an infection like mono). She has never been exposed to HIV. 

Quoting grandmab125:

Get a copy of those blood test results, and take her immediately to another dr.  I can't believe you've waited this long, and not obtained another opinion.

Mono does not normally cause a cough, but it normally causes a severe sore throat.

There are several diseases that involve a fever, cough, raised lymphocytes, swollen lymph nodes, extreme lethargy and weight loss. (1)  Whooping cough, Leukemia, HIV.

Did that scare you?  Good, now get her to another dr immediately.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

That's a bunch of crap. Why wouldn't they get the proper testing? 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

She may have been asking because a lot of times it seems like people on Medicaid do not get the proper testing. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Why does that matter?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Because, and it does happen, people with medicaid don't get treated the same as people with private insurance. Those tests are expensive and if the medical office is less likely to be reimbursed for the procedures it's possible that an office would be less likely to order said tests unless they thought it was absolutely necessary and ruled out any other possible cause first. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Why does that matter?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea why. He said the elevated lymphocytes are pretty indicative of mono.

Quoting stormcris:

Wait what ....there is a test ...a very quick test to confirm mono there should be no thinking about this. Why did he just not give her the monospot?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Trust me it happens. I have seen it first hand with my best friend and her kids. I have seen it with any govt sponsored program including TriCare. My point was that it looked like you took offense to being asked that question, and I didn't think she meant it to attack. 

Quoting Jack_Squat:

That's a bunch of crap. Why wouldn't they get the proper testing? 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Why does that matter?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)