Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

More Companies cut part-time worker hours to avoid Obamacare requirement

Companies cut part-time worker hours to avoid Obamacare requirement: report
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/companies-cut-worker-hours-avoid-obamacare-report-article-1.1333305

Obamacare may end up hurting many of the part-time workers the President had hoped it would help.

Under the far-reaching health care law, large employers are required to offer health insurance to part-time employees working at least 30 hours a week.

But that’s not how it’s played out.

Instead of granting insurance plans to part-time employees, a growing number of larger firms are actually cutting back on workers’ hours altogether, the Los Angeles Times reported.

In the process, the employers are stripping part-time workers not only of their ability to get company health insurance but of their much needed wages as well.

The city of Long Beach, Calif., for example, is cutting the hours of many of its 1,600 part-time workers to fewer than 27 hours per week, the Times reported, in an effort to prevent them from qualifying for company-offered health insurance.

Obama's signature Affordable Care Act has had unintended consequences.

Long Beach officials have said the benefits they otherwise would have to offer could cost the municipality as much as $2 million, a price that could result in cutbacks to city services.

"We're in the same boat as many employers," Tom Modica, the city's director of government affairs, told the Times. "We need to maintain the programs and service levels we have now."

More than 2 million workers at large restaurant chains, retailers and a variety of other companies that employ more than 50 people across the U.S. are facing similar consequences.

Bill Dombrowski, who heads up the California Retailers Association told the Times that the cuts represent “the only way to survive economically” under the requirements under the Affordable Care Act.

Last week, the largest U.S. movie-theater chain cut the hours of many workers below 30 hours to bypass the law. In a memo to employees, the Regal Entertainment Group, blamed the decision explicitly on the policy often referred to as “Obamacare.”

“To comply with the Affordable Care Act, Regal had to increase our health care budget to cover those newly deemed eligible based on the law's definition of a full-time employee,” the company stated in a memo. “To manage this budget, all other employees will be scheduled in accord with business needs and in a manner that will not negatively impact our health care budget.”

Darden Restaurants Inc., which owns the Olive Garden and Red Lobster chains, made similar cuts last year, too, before the company reversed course due to intense criticism.

aedelman@nydailynews.com
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:52 AM

That's a lot of 'wills' and speculation.

Quoting Ziva65:

Wow, not here. Ours has dramatically increased, Plus, our notices from insurances (across the board, Blue Cross, Kaiser) have outlined their cost increases. If business pay 100% of the premium for employees, then they get the tax credit- got notified the tax breaks don't apply to us, so sorry. Why bother to employ really. We pay 80% of insurance, no tax credit, but we had it raise over 60% they have clearly stated it is in preparation to ensure that the ACA requirements are met, just planning, not even implemented.

If people believe it will benefit them, they need to read the fine print.

Plus, being on hospital boards, there are really panels limiting care, no kidding, they have to cut somewhere- having elderly parents I see it too.

Employers now will get a new per employee charge, and tax to help cover Obama care- separately from premiums...

I have 4 friends who owned good size companies, and two more with restaurants. All just bailed. Hundreds of people out of work. I don't blame them. I know physicians planning to leave their practice. I happen to be an NP too- it's a bit scary about restrictions for testing coming down the line.

I'd be curious how it's helped your company- how big your company is and how many people you employ. It's really the first I have heard of anyone benefitting. We employ about 50 people, soon to go just under that number for obvious reasons, and it is a multimillion dollar company. Plus, we have stopped expansion, hoping he'd be out of office...

Quoting Momniscient:

How have you seen astronomical increases due to Obamacare?

The only obamacare policy that has gone into effect that affects us were the preexisting conditions that were eradicated. Companies are no longer allowed to deny or max rate based on pre existings so we save over $1400 a month because our group policy is no longer allowed to be max rated based on individual pre existings. It's amazing. We also will be able to utilize small business tax breaks. In 2014 when the exchange goes into effect we may be able to get it cheaper or we will stay the same.

We don't have the amount of employees anyway that would mean we would have to pay a penalty if we chose not to provide insurance.

Also, under obamacare it is my understanding that individuals can get together to form groups which is much cheaper. Perhaps you should look into it.

How is it ruining your friends business's? My uncle was vehemently against Obamacare and still hates that 'fucking democrat' and even he admits that his business has not seen , nor will see any hit from it (and he employs far more people than I do).

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am truly interested. How has this helped you and your business? I have numerous friends who own their own business who say it is ruining them, and others like my husband and myself that have seen nothing but astronomical increases in our insurance due to this. Please tell me how this has helped your business? I am all for an open discussion on it, you are honestly the only business owner I have seen say that. 

Quoting Momniscient:

I own a business. This law has changed nothing in what I do. Except saved my money actually...

Or is it...that some employers see a really good excuse to once again cut hours?

Hundreds of employers have been doing this for a lot longer than Obamacare. Not just evil walmart and kroger... those were just two names that everyone recognizes.

I worked at Taco Time right after high school. I was never allowed to exceed 32 hours. Never.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Yes, that's totally the reason. It has nothing to do with the fact hundreds of employers are in the same boat due to this botched law. It's not just the EVIL Walmart and Kroger, all businesses are evil if they are honest and say they can't afford this abomination. Smh. 

Quoting Momniscient:

Guess no one told walmart or kroger to wait to do this until they could blame it on obamacare.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

We got a letter from our insurance carrier soon after the SCOTUS ruled Obamacare was legal stating that they had changed the programs due to the new law, and during the enrollment period, we have to choose a new plan. A lot of it had to do with the 0 cost coverage for preventative screening, and whatever they calculated would hit them in the future, in addition to the covering pre existing conditions part. I am going to have to go back to my FB in order to pull the info from my friends who have come out against this because of their business. I know one said they were letting people go to get under the number of people defined in this law that would affect them. I know one said he cancelled his expansion because of it. I cannot remember the details right now, so I will search it and get back to you. 

My insurance? Has gone up a total of 49% because of this, and this alone, if you factor in the raise in premiums, co pays, prescription costs, and the fact I now have a deductible where I did not have one before. Luckily we can switch back to Tricare. I am hoping they don't screw with our military insurance too. Although I know that's on the list. 

Quoting Momniscient:

The only obamacare policy that has gone into effect that affects us were the preexisting conditions that were eradicated. Companies are no longer allowed to deny or max rate based on pre existings so we save over $1400 a month because our group policy is no longer allowed to be max rated based on individual pre existings. It's amazing. We also will be able to utilize small business tax breaks. In 2014 when the exchange goes into effect we may be able to get it cheaper or we will stay the same.

We don't have the amount of employees anyway that would mean we would have to pay a penalty if we chose not to provide insurance.

Also, under obamacare it is my understanding that individuals can get together to form groups which is much cheaper. Perhaps you should look into it.

How is it ruining your friends business's? My uncle was vehemently against Obamacare and still hates that 'fucking democrat' and even he admits that his business has not seen , nor will see any hit from it (and he employs far more people than I do).

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am truly interested. How has this helped you and your business? I have numerous friends who own their own business who say it is ruining them, and others like my husband and myself that have seen nothing but astronomical increases in our insurance due to this. Please tell me how this has helped your business? I am all for an open discussion on it, you are honestly the only business owner I have seen say that. 

Quoting Momniscient:

I own a business. This law has changed nothing in what I do. Except saved my money actually...

Or is it...that some employers see a really good excuse to once again cut hours?

Hundreds of employers have been doing this for a lot longer than Obamacare. Not just evil walmart and kroger... those were just two names that everyone recognizes.

I worked at Taco Time right after high school. I was never allowed to exceed 32 hours. Never.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Yes, that's totally the reason. It has nothing to do with the fact hundreds of employers are in the same boat due to this botched law. It's not just the EVIL Walmart and Kroger, all businesses are evil if they are honest and say they can't afford this abomination. Smh. 

Quoting Momniscient:

Guess no one told walmart or kroger to wait to do this until they could blame it on obamacare.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Not sure what you mean by speculation- I see the payments, and the increases... the insurance company letters are addressed to me. Pretty straighforward.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Wow, not here. Ours has dramatically increased, Plus, our notices from insurances (across the board, Blue Cross, Kaiser) have outlined their cost increases. If business pay 100% of the premium for employees, then they get the tax credit- got notified the tax breaks don't apply to us, so sorry. Why bother to employ really. We pay 80% of insurance, no tax credit, but we had it raise over 60% they have clearly stated it is in preparation to ensure that the ACA requirements are met, just planning, not even implemented.

Plus, being on hospital boards, there are really panels limiting care, no kidding, they have to cut somewhere- having elderly parents I see it too.

Employers now will get a new per employee charge, and tax to help cover Obama care- separately from premiums...

I have 4 friends who owned good size companies, and two more with restaurants. All just bailed. Hundreds of people out of work. I don't blame them. I know physicians planning to leave their practice. I happen to be an NP too- it's a bit scary about restrictions for testing coming down the line.

I'd be curious how it's helped your company- how big your company is and how many people you employ. It's really the first I have heard of anyone benefitting. We employ about 50 people, soon to go just under that number for obvious reasons, and it is a multimillion dollar company. Plus, we have stopped expansion, hoping he'd be out of office...

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

They must have a LOT of employees (over 100) if they have to let people go in order to avoid the penalty.Why would a business owner cut an expansion when the law hasn't even gone into effect yet?

Your premium has gone up 49% in a year and you can prove it is only due to Obama. Wow. It probably is time you got new insurance.

My insurance premiums go up every year. It always has. Long before Obama.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

We got a letter from our insurance carrier soon after the SCOTUS ruled Obamacare was legal stating that they had changed the programs due to the new law, and during the enrollment period, we have to choose a new plan. A lot of it had to do with the 0 cost coverage for preventative screening, and whatever they calculated would hit them in the future, in addition to the covering pre existing conditions part. I am going to have to go back to my FB in order to pull the info from my friends who have come out against this because of their business. I know one said they were letting people go to get under the number of people defined in this law that would affect them. I know one said he cancelled his expansion because of it. I cannot remember the details right now, so I will search it and get back to you. 

My insurance? Has gone up a total of 49% because of this, and this alone, if you factor in the raise in premiums, co pays, prescription costs, and the fact I now have a deductible where I did not have one before. Luckily we can switch back to Tricare. I am hoping they don't screw with our military insurance too. Although I know that's on the list. 

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Your premiums have gone up more than they go up year to year because of changes that haven't gone into effect yet?

Wow. Mine have gone up but just the normal increases. We received letters outlining cost increases as well. That haven't happened. 

I meant speculation by saying 'this will happen' and 'that will happen'

Quoting Ziva65:

Not sure what you mean by speculation- I see the payments, and the increases... the insurance company letters are addressed to me. Pretty straighforward.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:15 AM

No- it is all clearly outlined form the insurance companies as to why. Plus, all the exemptions they say now (employing under 50 people qualifies as small business, etc) are anticipated to change- this is in writing from our insurance companies. We started receiving these notices years ago. That is when we put a halt on everything.

Plus, they clearly outline the reason for the increases, many of which are to ensure they are creating the types of plans that meet the ACA requirements. The plan services listed though we don't really see any changes, our premiums have gone up over 60% directly. Our employees can barely afford to pay the 20%. We are thinking the 2000 penalty is cheaper- but if that occurs I honestly will just sell out and put all that money into accounts for my kids. I get offers to buy it all the time, it's worth alot and we started it from scratch- still thinking about it. Selling out has been on the table since the day Obama took office.

All this really makes business, helping families, employing people- totally not worth it. I'd invite Obama to come to my business. I have invited our local politicians, tried to open dialogue- same rhetoric over and over. Any wonder why the Chamber of Commerce's don't support the ACA?

Really not speculation here. Maybe it's different where you are, not here though.

Quoting Momniscient:

Your premiums have gone up more than they go up year to year because of changes that haven't gone into effect yet?

Wow. Mine have gone up but just the normal increases. We received letters outlining cost increases as well. That haven't happened. 

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Wait. If you started receiving these notices years ago then how is this obamacares fault?

You must have a substandard insurance if your premiums are going up that much. Thank god it will mean that you can have decent insurance with your premium increase.

I have a business and it is worth it and worth it to the people I've given jobs. Guess opinions vary huh? And... my chamber of commerce wholeheartedly supports the ACA... in fact my business insurance comes directly from them, from the state pool and we have really nice coverage now.

Now if we could only get someone to do something about GC Liability and Workers Comp...

Quoting Ziva65:

No- it is all clearly outlined form the insurance companies as to why. Plus, all the exemptions they say now (employing under 50 people qualifies as small business, etc) are anticipated to change- this is in writing from our insurance companies. We started receiving these notices years ago. That is when we put a halt on everything.

Plus, they clearly outline the reason for the increases, many of which are to ensure they are creating the types of plans that meet the ACA requirements. The plan services listed though we don't really see any changes, our premiums have gone up over 60% directly. Our employees can barely afford to pay the 20%. We are thinking the 2000 penalty is cheaper- but if that occurs I honestly will just sell out and put all that money into accounts for my kids. I get offers to buy it all the time, it's worth alot and we started it from scratch- still thinking about it. Selling out has been on the table since the day Obama took office.

All this really makes business, helping families, employing people- totally not worth it. I'd invite Obama to come to my business. I have invited our local politicians, tried to open dialogue- same rhetoric over and over. Any wonder why the Chamber of Commerce's don't support the ACA?

Really not speculation here. Maybe it's different where you are, not here though.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Blue Cross and Kaiser are not substandard companies. we have always had exceptional insurance, and always selected top of the line companies and plans. premiums increasing that much are common place here. I don't know where you live, or how many employees you have but here, this is common.

My workers comp hasn't increased anywhere as much. GL huge, but always has been, but we are in a high risk category. Our health insurance far exceeds those though.

yup. opinions vary. I love my employees and my company, but I'm in business first to make money. Once that decreases, it's time to change. I'd rather invest it, and be prudent with what we have built than lose it.

Quoting Momniscient:

Wait. If you started receiving these notices years ago then how is this obamacares fault?

You must have a substandard insurance if your premiums are going up that much. Thank god it will mean that you can have decent insurance with your premium increase.

I have a business and it is worth it and worth it to the people I've given jobs. Guess opinions vary huh? And... my chamber of commerce wholeheartedly supports the ACA... in fact my business insurance comes directly from them, from the state pool and we have really nice coverage now.

Now if we could only get someone to do something about GC Liability and Workers Comp...

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

MissTacoBell
by on May. 3, 2013 at 2:36 AM
Business structures are obviously very variable depending on the work involved; my scenario was just an example.

Employers couldn't make up ALL that difference working salaried people; salaried or not, they still have a limit on their hours by law. Those that COULD make up the difference by working salaried employees more aren't doing very much cutting in the first place.

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

My thought was, they wouldn't hire more, they'd just work full time salaried workers more. The company my hubby works for, part time is 32 hours, so, just shave a few hours. 

Your point makes total sense if working full time salary more wasn't an option and part time was 40 hours at a company. :)

And, I'm not surprised it's happening. Hubby and I (as I'm sure many others) thought it would. 

I wish there was a good solution.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

It will be interesting to see how this works out for these companies.

In the short term, this seems like a good business solution. However, there are other elements to consider.

For example: Say you have 100 employees that work 40 hour weeks and you are subject to this law.

You reduce all their hours to 27 to dodge the law. You now have to hire and train 49 more people to support operations.

Suddenly you are spending 50% more in training costs, hiring costs among other fringe benefits that are incurred on a per person basis. You are also subject to more administrative regulations because you increased your minimum employee count. You need more space to support the increase depending on the business.

You also now have a massive drop in morale because you had a content workforce with full paychecks and now you have 100 people who are pissed off, worried about paying their rent. And they're blaming you for being a penny pinching bastard. As such, they (and the 49 people you hired) are probably not going to be NEARLY as efficient as before due to the change leading to either not meeting your business needs or needing to hire MORE staff to compensate.

And then there's your unemployment insurance. You see, these employees can now seek unemployment for being "underemployed". The influx in claims is going to boost the cost of your UI insurance. In fact, a disgruntled workforce will boost the rest of your insurance policies too.

Then there's their PR. It makes them look bad (hence why Darden tried it and took it back when people kicked up a stink). If you can get your TV at both a place who does this to their people and a place that doesn't, who are you going to choose? That's a lost sales cost. Probably the worst one of all.

They are not saving any money in the long run; short run, sure, but long run not really.

What this law should have done is reigned in insurance companies. If they were required to charge a reasonable fee instead of an outrageous one, we wouldn't be having this problem.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Only the data doesn't really bear out your scenario.

If your health premiums are more than your high risk GL you really need to figure out where you have gone wrong.

Quoting Ziva65:

Blue Cross and Kaiser are not substandard companies. we have always had exceptional insurance, and always selected top of the line companies and plans. premiums increasing that much are common place here. I don't know where you live, or how many employees you have but here, this is common.

My workers comp hasn't increased anywhere as much. GL huge, but always has been, but we are in a high risk category. Our health insurance far exceeds those though.

yup. opinions vary. I love my employees and my company, but I'm in business first to make money. Once that decreases, it's time to change. I'd rather invest it, and be prudent with what we have built than lose it.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Ziva65:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured