Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you ever bitten off more than you were prepared to chew? Holy crapola!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM
  • 9 Replies

So my oldest DD is a competitive cheerleader. My middle dd is a competitive gymnast, and my youngest is on her way to team gym too. They are all out of the same gym. It's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. 

I have always thought it was odd that our gym had no booster clubs for team gym or cheer, but last year was our first year. 

The gym itself has been around a long while, but cheer is only entering its third year. They are an All-Star competitive program only. We are in the process of forming our new teams and recruiting members. A dear friend of mine had her daughter come to open practice and the coach asked her to join before official tryouts. After getting all of the info on costs and such and then presenting it to her husband, he immediately said NO when he found out there was no booster club to help offset costs. It got me thinking. It is extremely expensive, we don't have a booster or even a unified fundraising effort. I wondered how many others chose not to join for this reason. I know my family could use the additional funds, who couldn't?

So Monday I sent a mass FB email convo out about it and suggested we start an actual 501c3 booster. 

Parents were all gung ho and the coach was thrilled to hear it. 

Then I started researching what it entails, what we need to do, etc. I called my dear friend I mentioned earlier and told her what I had done. She just exhaled like I knocked the wind out of her. I told her that my initial reasoning was to find a way for her daughter to be allowed on the team, and then thought of all the other reasons this was going to be great, not only for our teams, but for the gym as a whole. She asked me if I had any idea what I was getting into and if I had forgotten to take my meds. LOL I said sure I know! We are starting a booster! That's awesome right? 

We had our first meeting to elect a board and hash out other things tonight...

I now know why my friend reacted the way she did. Holy balls. I may as well have put a gun to my head. 

I am now co President by default with another mom who works full time and didn't think she could commit by herself. She had set up an entire pop Warner football and cheer program for her city, and their booster, 4 years ago. I saw the same pained look on her face tonight that I heard in my girlfriends voice when I told her my plan. 

My friend I mentioned was President of PTA and her daughters competitive dance team booster. She filled me in on everything after the meeting tonight that I will be facing. I am kinda in a state of shock. Lol

I will see this through, and won't give up, but dayum.... What did I GET myself into?!? ;-)

Have you ever opened your big mouth before knowing all the facts of the project you decided to spearhead? 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure I have. I thought I had when I agreed to lead bear cub scouts, but, I think hubby and I have come up with a good system. :)

Take a deep breath, and give it a shot! :) When I see how happy the boys are, and how much they enjoy cub scouts, it makes the work worth it. :) Just as I'm sure it will for you too. But, yes, we almost quit. 

Good luck!!!!!! :)

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Thanks! I know this is the very best thing for everyone, I am just overwhelmed tonight. My head is spinning! Lol I can't shut my mind off tonight. One day at a time right? 

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

I'm sure I have. I thought I had when I agreed to lead bear cub scouts, but, I think hubby and I have come up with a good system. :)

Take a deep breath, and give it a shot! :) When I see how happy the boys are, and how much they enjoy cub scouts, it makes the work worth it. :) Just as I'm sure it will for you too. But, yes, we almost quit. 

twistedpartdeux
by New Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Sounds like a good idea though!  What all does it entail?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM

When my kids were growing up, I always worked PT, so while I always helped on projects and at school and sporting activities, I never volunteered to "head" anything. Help, yes, spearhead, no.

I have a pet peeve...those who over commit and under deliver drive me crazy-

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, having children!!!!

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 3, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Yes, it would make me batty if people didn't deliver. I don't work outside of the home, but my husband is going to be gone soon for 6 months. So, the other mom and I agreed to share the responsibilities of President. I sure hope everyone follows through. I am excited and nervous. I just had no idea what went into setting it up from scratch. KWIM? 

Quoting Sisteract:

When my kids were growing up, I always worked PT, so while I always helped on projects and at school and sporting activities, I never volunteered to "head" anything. Help, yes, spearhead, no.

I have a pet peeve...those who over commit and under deliver drive me crazy-

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

A butt load. Writing bylaws, setting up bank accounts, contracts, electing members, establishing your own procedures, finding people who will truly commit, filing proper paperwork with the state, making sure all notes are in order to get our classification... The list goes on. It's one thing to volunteer for a group that is already in place, totally another to design and implement from scratch. Or so I am learning. Lol 

It will be awesome, just a lot ahead of me. 

Quoting twistedpartdeux:

Sounds like a good idea though!  What all does it entail?

Ziva65
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I did. I did it though, and did it well. I set my mind to it, and really had no expectation of failure.

I was 28, a new Master's level graduate, and happened to be in the right place at the right time. They needed to fill a position to run the outpatient division of a hospital. Over $30 million dollar budget, and over 1000 employees. I had been a director of nursing for small rural hosptials by then, and had some budget experience, but never oversaw anything this big, or involved. IT was also in a large metropolital city, and I was completely unprepared for the politics- I even had to go to meetings with the mayro- a very well known mayor. OH MY GOSH... I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. Plus, the company was just about to go to a union vote,. talk about stress.

Well, I never did tell them how old I was- befor eI showed up the first day, I had my hair dyed very light, almost gray, wore high white collars, and dark suits with dark shoes. I saw an image consultant to act and look older, and learn how to deal with the politics. I met with CPA's to learn about budgeting something that big. I had no problem with actually managing- I was known as a barracuda, pretty much always got my way- if it wasn't by that, it was by being deceptively sweet- I'm good at that, and they never knew what hit them.

Worked out great- I left with glowing raves, I only left to have ca baby, or I'd probably still be there- I wasn't into the career immersion and new babies at the same time thing. Worked out fine.

You just need to dive in and do it. No thought or expectation of failure. Hold your head high, and be confident. Even if you don't feel confident, just do it. Just like a doc told me when I was a new NP- "just pretend you know what you are doing, and appear confident". Oh, be humble, and it's ok to admit mistakes too- we all make them, know your resources, the law, who is on your side. Don't say anything bad about anybody, but be careful and discerning about who you talk to about what.

You will be fine :)

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

100% yes!!! :) I fully admit I'm a lazy, non perfect mom. :) me and hubby, leading bear cub scouts?!?! Lol I'm so lazy, almost a joke to me. :) 

I post on my 'hood/ward fb page when it's warm enough to bike ride. I walked with many scouts Wednesday. Home, kinda cool. :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Thanks! I know this is the very best thing for everyone, I am just overwhelmed tonight. My head is spinning! Lol I can't shut my mind off tonight. One day at a time right? 

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN