Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

{{update}} Is this how the 'insured' are getting screwed by the health care act?

Since the last quarter of 2012 we have been getting bills from our health care provider to cover the difference our insurance didn't cover.

According to our health insurance our well visits are only supposed to cost us our $25 co pay. Our insurance only covers $60 on top of the $25 co pay, but most of our doctors visits are $130+ on average so we have been billed for the difference.

This didn't happen before October of 2012. Has anyone else experienced this?

May 29, 2013:

After I thought I had handled the bill and solved the 'issue' of being charged for an annual well visit that is only supposed to cost a co-pay I got another bill from the clinic today. It was about 20% less than the original bill. I called the billing dept. at the clinic immediately. I was told that the original person I spoke to was a temp, but only after being accused of being a liar because no one by the name of 'Barbara' ever worked at the clinic. Next I was told that I was billed for an office visit because I discussed my depression with the doctor. HELLO! When the doctor asks how long I've been taking medications and what they're for I'm going to answer. Since when is over-all health not a part of the physical? Since when is listing medications and answering questions not a part of the physical? Hopefully this phone call will be my last.

With my luck the clinic will probably drop our insurance and I'll be left with the clinic and physicians I hate at the only other clinic in 200 miles that is contracted by our insurance.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Only if they aren't currently contracted with the insurance. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Sounds like your dr policy. Or your out of pocket is not reached. My dr accepts the contracted amount.
Maybe look at your policy and ask your dr office.
It has nothIng to do wIth the health care act of but of course you just need to thInk It does.

Sure it does. Doctors feeling the pinch are now passing on the price difference to their patients. its happening more and more and its due to obamacare.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
How can you say it's due to obamacare? It sounds like your insurance co is dicking you around. If they say that preventative care us covered and then they don't cover it, what does that have to do with the aca? They have a contract with youand the doc.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

Sounds like your dr policy. Or your out of pocket is not reached. My dr accepts the contracted amount.

It has nothIng to do wIth the health care act
of but of course you just need to thInk It does.

Sure it does. Doctors feeling the pinch are now passing on the price difference to their patients. its happening more and more and its due to obamacare.

Billiejeens
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting moroccanmommy:

It has nothIng to do wIth the health care act of but of course you just need to thInk It does.

What would cause you to say that?
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Shoot you got it cheaps!  We pay atrocious amount of money for the coverage we get now.   We pay fifty and hundered. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I just got a refund check from my dds ped office. Apparently I no longer have to make a co pay for well visits.

This did not happen before so this must be part if the AHCA.

I think I will take her to the movies with that check.
krysstizzle
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hmmm, I have no idea. Sounds kind of fishy, though, from what you've said.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM
4 moms liked this
It has nothing to do with the ACA. People are really reaching now.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly.

Next step needs to be insurance reform. But since that involves regulations on corporations I won't be holding my breath.

It won't be until people start holding these companies accountable that we can start to face the real problems of living in a corporatacracy. (Sp)

Quoting stacymomof2:

How can you say it's due to obamacare? It sounds like your insurance co is dicking you around. If they say that preventative care us covered and then they don't cover it, what does that have to do with the aca? They have a contract with youand the doc.

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting moroccanmommy:

It has nothIng to do wIth the health care act
of but of course you just need to thInk It does.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Your doctors office may not be a preferred provider anymore.  Our doctor's office withdrew because of the low ins payments.  I need to find us a new doctor, but it is a pain.

I think we will see more of this and it IS because of Obamacare.  The money to cover the new pre-existing conditions for people (this is just 1 example) has to come from somewhere.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on May. 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yikes! No.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN