Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I don't like guns that much but this is bs!

this is near me. I really cannot make sense of this. I'll highlight the important parts.

A Princeton High School senior and honors student who says he inadvertently brought two unloaded shotguns onto school property will be allowed to graduate, an attorney for Johnston County Schools said Thursday.

David Cole Withrow, 18, was arrested Monday on a felony charge of bringing a weapon onto educational property, after he realized he left the guns in his car after skeet shooting over the weekend.

Kim Boykin, a family friend speaking on behalf of Withrow's family, said he tried to get permission from school administrators to take home the weapon but instead, was arrested and expelled.

But Jimmy Lawrence, an attorney for the Johnston County Schools Board of Education, said in a statement Thursday afternoon that Withrow has not been expelled and that the school system superintendent "has made provisions" that will allow him to continue his education and to receive his high school diploma if he meets graduation requirements.

A spokeswoman for Johnston County Schools said she could not speak specifically about disciplinary measures against Withrow but said that, generally, students bringing weapons to school are suspended for 10 days with a recommendation to be suspended for a full calendar year – the mandate according to state law.

"The Legislature has mandated what actions law enforcement, school principals and school superintendents must do upon finding a violation of this law," Lawrence said. "It was enacted for the purpose of 'deterring students and others from bringing any type of guns onto school grounds because of the increased necessity for safety in our schools.' This has never been more true, based on recent events that have occurred at schools in the United States in the last few years."

Frank Wood, an attorney for Withrow's family, said Withrow was initially suspended but that it's unclear for how long since the length of time is not on the suspension sheet.

Johnston County Superintendent Ed Croom reviewed the case, Wood said, and agreed to forgo the recommended 365-day suspension and to allow Withrow to finish out his high school career, beginning May 13, at an alternative school.

Boykin said Withrow's family is still not satisfied since he will not be allowed to walk with his graduating class.

"He's an Eagle Scout, a guy who made a mistake, and he doesn't deserve to have his diploma not have Princeton High School on it," Boykin said. "He doesn't deserve to not walk across the stage with his friends that he's known since pre-school."

Fellow students have started a "Free Cole" campaign, including bumper stickers, T-shirts and social media to let Withrow's story be known.

They have said that it's unfair that he wasn't allowed the same concessions as an assistant principal who made the same mistake in 2011 when she unwittingly brought a gun to school and was suspended for three days without pay but didn't face criminal charges.

The news quickly spread on the Internet, causing an outpouring of support from across the world.

"It's overwhelming, it really is," Boykin said. "In this horrible situation that (the Withrow family) is in the middle of, this is the one thing that they have that they can hang onto – that there's so many people coming out to stand up for their kid and realize he's a good person who made a mistake."

Withrow's even received scholarship offers from Harding University in Searcy, Ark., and Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va.

"We think he is a victim of a system that is a little bit, maybe, too overly sensitive to certain things," Liberty Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. said. "There has to be room for honest mistakes, and right now, I don't think the law does that."

As far as the criminal charge against Withrow, he is scheduled to go to court May 16.

"We don't believe there is any evidence that he knowingly and willingly brought a gun to campus," Wood said. "I feel confident that we can get a good result (in court)."

http://www.wral.com/classmates-rally-around-princeton-student-expelled-for-gun-in-car/12404125/

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Replies (21-30):
emeraldangel20
by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM

bump

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I carried my shotgun with in my car everyday to school, the teachers and campus cop knew I had it, and no one cared. And I graduated in 2000.

Quoting DSamuels:

Yep and the truck was usually unlocked. Heck, sometimes the windows were left open.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I feel so old. When I was in high school I went to a school where it wasn't uncommon to have a rifle rack in your truck with a rifle in it.

Especially Nov 26th-Dec 2nd.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

That's ridiculous.  He realized he had made a mistake and tried to correct it, so they expel and arrest him.  Way to go.

There was a kid at a high school down the street from me that someone phoned in a tip he had a knife in his car.  He had left his car unlocked.  The administration searched his car and found it.  It's not his knife, he had no idea how it got there, and is pretty sure he was set up seeing as anyone could have accessed his car.  OR, being that it was a used car he recently purchased and they found it under the seat, it could have belonged to the previous owner (hell, I found drugs in my used car once).  They suspended him and banned him from prom and graduation.  They still haven't been able to prove it was his knife or that he had any knowledge it was there.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
The president of Liberty University, Jerry Falwell jr I think, saw him wearing a Liberty University t-shirt (the kid's sister is a student there) and offered him a full scholarship.

What's so ridiculous about the offers?

Quoting Sisteract:

Why?

Those offers are as ridiculous as this story.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

it hasn't. he's been offered free rides to colleges because of this.

Quoting norahsmommy:

The poor kid should have just not said anything. He is an honest kid though and thought the adults would be reasonable and understanding. Most adults are not and he just leaned that. Poor guy. I hope this doesn't screw up his future.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

If the offers were extended solely because of this incident....

Full scholarships should be offered for academics or another stand out skill- Honesty- do we not assume as a baseline that all students are honest, unless their behavior (s) indicate otherwise?

Quoting DSamuels:

The president of Liberty University, Jerry Falwell jr I think, saw him wearing a Liberty University t-shirt (the kid's sister is a student there) and offered him a full scholarship.

Quoting Sisteract:

Why?

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting norahsmommy:

The poor kid should have just not said anything. He is an honest kid though and thought the adults would be reasonable and understanding. Most adults are not and he just leaned that. Poor guy. I hope this doesn't screw up his future.

ramita
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
This is how it was at my high school especially during hunting season because most students were going hunting, then coming to school, then going back to the woods. Lol. As long as they weren't loaded, the school didn't care. However the last 2 or so, they stopped allowing it so many students either didn't come to school or they only came part of the day during hunting season.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I feel so old. When I was in high school I went to a school where it wasn't uncommon to have a rifle rack in your truck with a rifle in it.

Especially Nov 26th-Dec 2nd.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Zero tolerance policies aren't effective and result in very bad blanket decisions.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I"m not much of a fan of guns, but this is ridiculous, and not the first time a ZT policy responded moronically to someone TRYING to do the right thing by informing those in charge of an oversight in order to rectify it. 

those who bring guns to school to hurt people don't turn themselves in. derp. 

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM

He's an Eagle Scout, for one thing. That is very hard to achieve and you have to work your butt off. He was also an honor student.

Here's the story I saw on Fox News today:

A North Carolina Eagle Scout who was arrested and faces expulsion for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot has been offered a scholarship to attend Liberty University.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

Cole Withrow was just a few weeks from graduating with honors from Princeton High School when he was arrested on Monday and slapped with a felony weapons charge. Withrow had been skeet shooting with friends a day before and had only noticed he had left his shotgun in his truck as he reached to grab his book bag.

The t-shirt that got Cole Withrow a scholarship

When he realized his mistake, he went to the front office and called his mother. An administrator overheard the conversation and called police.

Withrow’s story has generated national attention. Hundreds of people have joined a Facebook community to show their support. And many local parents are upset over what many believe is a case of a young man getting severely punished for trying to do the right thing.

“You teach your kids if you’re in trouble or if you see you’ve done something wrong, go ahead and admit it,” family friend Kimberly Boykin said. “Be a man and it’ll be fixed. In this case, that’s what he did and he’s being punished for it. That’s not the lesson we need to teach our kids.”

Jerry Falwell, Jr., the chancellor of Liberty University, had been traveling through North Carolina and saw a local television news account of Withrow’s ordeal. He also noticed that the 18-year-old was wearing a “Liberty University” t-shirt.

Falwell told Fox News that he made a few calls and discovered that Withrow’s sister is a Liberty graduate.

“I was really impressed with what a meek and humble Christian kid he is,” Falwell said. “I thought he would be a perfect fit at Liberty.”

So the chancellor made the 18-year-old an offer he couldn’t refuse.

“I told him that we would give him whatever scholarships he needed to attend Liberty University,” he said.

Falwell said the university is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the teenager gets a college education.

“The anti-gun zealots seem to be vilifying him for making an honest mistake,” he told Fox News. “We want to reward him for trying to do the right thing.”

And that means even helping the young man finish his last few weeks of high school. Falwell said they offered to let him finish his high school work through their online academy.

Liberty University, located in Lynchburg, Va., is the world’s largest Christian university with nearly 100,000 students. The chancellor said he’s been flooded with messages of support for Withrow from the Liberty community.

“It’s something our whole university feels good about,” he said.

For now Withrow, who had a spotless record, faces a precarious future. It’s unclear at this point how the pending criminal charges will be worked out.

Falwell called the boy’s predicament “disturbing and unsettling.”

“When you see a basketball player who is glorified for announcing that he’s gay and then you see an honest young man like Cole arrested and treated like a criminal for making an honest mistake – you wonder what’s happening to our country,” he said. “The culture seems to be completely disconnected from our roots – our Christian heritage and our Constitution. I hope the American people wake up before it’s too late.”

Quoting Sisteract:

Full scholarships should be offered for academics or another stand out skill- Honesty- do we not assume as a baseline that all students are honest, unless their behavior (s) indicate otherwise?

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Sisteract:

Why?

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 3, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Then those qualities should have been the reasons the offer was extended.

Yes, ES does require hard work, at least it did for my husband and 2 of his 4 brothers. One brother told me that the SM told him he was not dedicated enough to do the hard work and was only involved for the fun- He is one of the non ESs in the family. LOL.

Of course an incident like this should not have excluded the student for future considerations-

Quoting DSamuels:

He's an Eagle Scout, for one thing. That is very hard to achieve and you have to work your butt off. He was also an honor student.

Here's the story I saw on Fox News today:

A North Carolina Eagle Scout who was arrested and faces expulsion for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot has been offered a scholarship to attend Liberty University.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR CULTURE WAR NEWS. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

Cole Withrow was just a few weeks from graduating with honors from Princeton High School when he was arrested on Monday and slapped with a felony weapons charge. Withrow had been skeet shooting with friends a day before and had only noticed he had left his shotgun in his truck as he reached to grab his book bag.

When he realized his mistake, he went to the front office and called his mother. An administrator overheard the conversation and called police.

Withrow’s story has generated national attention. Hundreds of people have joined a Facebook community to show their support. And many local parents are upset over what many believe is a case of a young man getting severely punished for trying to do the right thing.

“You teach your kids if you’re in trouble or if you see you’ve done something wrong, go ahead and admit it,” family friend Kimberly Boykin said. “Be a man and it’ll be fixed. In this case, that’s what he did and he’s being punished for it. That’s not the lesson we need to teach our kids.”

Jerry Falwell, Jr., the chancellor of Liberty University, had been traveling through North Carolina and saw a local television news account of Withrow’s ordeal. He also noticed that the 18-year-old was wearing a “Liberty University” t-shirt.

Falwell told Fox News that he made a few calls and discovered that Withrow’s sister is a Liberty graduate.

“I was really impressed with what a meek and humble Christian kid he is,” Falwell said. “I thought he would be a perfect fit at Liberty.”

So the chancellor made the 18-year-old an offer he couldn’t refuse.

“I told him that we would give him whatever scholarships he needed to attend Liberty University,” he said.

Falwell said the university is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the teenager gets a college education.

“The anti-gun zealots seem to be vilifying him for making an honest mistake,” he told Fox News. “We want to reward him for trying to do the right thing.”

And that means even helping the young man finish his last few weeks of high school. Falwell said they offered to let him finish his high school work through their online academy.

Liberty University, located in Lynchburg, Va., is the world’s largest Christian university with nearly 100,000 students. The chancellor said he’s been flooded with messages of support for Withrow from the Liberty community.

“It’s something our whole university feels good about,” he said.

For now Withrow, who had a spotless record, faces a precarious future. It’s unclear at this point how the pending criminal charges will be worked out.

Falwell called the boy’s predicament “disturbing and unsettling.”

“When you see a basketball player who is glorified for announcing that he’s gay and then you see an honest young man like Cole arrested and treated like a criminal for making an honest mistake – you wonder what’s happening to our country,” he said. “The culture seems to be completely disconnected from our roots – our Christian heritage and our Constitution. I hope the American people wake up before it’s too late.”

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting Sisteract:

Why?

Quoting emeraldangel20:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)