Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Arizona 3-year-old fatally shoots himself in face with meth grandma’s gun

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM
  • 21 Replies
A judge in Arizona on Thursday order a 35-year-old grandmother held in lieu of $500,000 bond after she was charged in the death of her 3-year-old grandson, who allegedly shot himself in the face with her handgun.In a court appearance on Thursday, Yuma Justice of the Peace Greg Stewart notified Rachel B. Spry that she was charged with reckless manslaughter, possession of dangerous drug, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession or use of a weapon in a drug offense,according to the Yuma Sun.The Yuma Police Department said that officers had arrested Spry on Wednesday after reports of a child being shot. Her grandson, 3-year-old Darrien Nez, was later pronounced dead at Yuma Regional Medical Center."">Court documents indicated that Spry had placed her 9mm handgun in a backpack and left it on top of a dryer while helping her daughter pack for a move. She had seen her grandson come into the room where the backpack was located, but she continued packing. About five minutes later, she heard a gunshot.The court records also claimed that a methamphetamine pipe was found in the same backpack as the gun, and that she had admitted to using the drug the evening before the shooting occurred.KYMA reported that Spry’s Facebook page included several photos of her with here family. There was also of photo of a Smith & Wesson handgun with the caption “my best friend.”Watch this video from KYMA, broadcast May 2, 2013.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/03/arizona-3-year-old-fatally-shoots-himself-in-face-with-meth-grandmas-gun/
by on May. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 3, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, that's nowhere near as good as this one:

A 5-year-old boy who shot and killed his 2-year-old sister Tuesday near Burkesville, Ky., used a special, child-sized rifle he got in November for his birthday.

The fatal shell was fired from a Crickett — "a rifle for a little kid," said Cumberland County Coroner Gary White.

STORY: 5-year-old kills his sister, 2, with 'My First Rifle'

Caroline Sparks, 2, was shot in the chest Tuesday afternoon and pronounced dead at Cumberland County Hospital, White said. He said her brother was used to shooting the rifle and was playing with it when it went off. 
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

So many disturbing things in this story. Poor sweet boy. 35 year old grandma??

BellaByrdie
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This Disgusts me.  I live in Kentucky.  They left the gun in a corner of their home. Not put up.  The mom wasn't in the room with him.  So he had it unsupervised.  They clearly didn't check to see if it was loaded because its VERY easy to check to see if a .22 rifle is loaded.  He was used to playing ... PLAYING....  with a real gun.  So clearly no gun safety and no teaching to respect a gun.    And who in their right mind gives a kindergartner a REAL gun.  WTF.

The grandmother says 'its god will.  It must have been her time to die"  WTF!!!! no it was the parents negligence and ignornce that KILLED that little girl.   They should be put in jail for having a LOADED gun where a child could reach it.  

The first gun I Learned to shoot was a .22 rifle.  I was 13.  My dad NEVER let me out of his site with it and never more than a few feet away from me.  He NEVER left it laying around.  He ALWAYS emptied the gun and checked the chamber to see if it was loaded.  He taught me to treat all guns as if they are fully loaded and ready to shoot.  and NEVER to point it at anyone.  Because It would be to easy to accidently hurt someone.  

Quoting LindaClement:

A 5-year-old boy who shot and killed his 2-year-old sister Tuesday near Burkesville, Ky., used a special, child-sized rifle he got in November for his birthday.

The fatal shell was fired from a Crickett — "a rifle for a little kid," said Cumberland County Coroner Gary White.

Caroline Sparks, 2, was shot in the chest Tuesday afternoon and pronounced dead at Cumberland County Hospital, White said. He said her brother was used to shooting the rifle and was playing with it when it went off. 

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on May. 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

Sad story.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I am totally with you.

Quoting BellaByrdie:

This Disgusts me.  I live in Kentucky.  They left the gun in a corner of their home. Not put up.  The mom wasn't in the room with him.  So he had it unsupervised.  They clearly didn't check to see if it was loaded because its VERY easy to check to see if a .22 rifle is loaded.  He was used to playing ... PLAYING....  with a real gun.  So clearly no gun safety and no teaching to respect a gun.    And who in their right mind gives a kindergartner a REAL gun.  WTF.

The grandmother says 'its god will.  It must have been her time to die"  WTF!!!! no it was the parents negligence and ignornce that KILLED that little girl.   They should be put in jail for having a LOADED gun where a child could reach it.  

The first gun I Learned to shoot was a .22 rifle.  I was 13.  My dad NEVER let me out of his site with it and never more than a few feet away from me.  He NEVER left it laying around.  He ALWAYS emptied the gun and checked the chamber to see if it was loaded.  He taught me to treat all guns as if they are fully loaded and ready to shoot.  and NEVER to point it at anyone.  Because It would be to easy to accidently hurt someone.  

Quoting LindaClement:

godsgirl26
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting Euphoric:

ZakkarysMom
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:28 PM
God's will? Wtf? She didn't need to die. I won't even allow my boys to have toy guns. I will never buy them a real gun.

Quoting BellaByrdie:

Quoting LindaClement:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

angrythere are so many things wrong with the family dynamics and the environment . The poor little guy was a victim of his family's insanity.  The grandma was only 35 for God's sake....that's crazy. And she was a crack addict woth a gun! Double trouble. The Mom was moving. Was she going to take her kid? Or leave him with Gramma?And she didn't worry about her little boy being in the company of her mother, the crack addict. With a gun in her backpack.

OMG.

Sick!

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:23 AM
I live on az and in my town just a couple weeks ago a 15yr old was showing his gun to some friends and unloaded it (why he had ammo with it unsupervised, you got me!) And one if the kids picked it up and it went off and had a round in the chamber and shot the 15yr olds 11yr old sisyer in the head and killed her. People need to PAY ATTENTION!! They lack basic gun safety knowledge!
Shoota
by Lauren on May. 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM

WOW. How did i totally miss that when I read it? Thats bonkers.

Quoting Euphoric:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)