Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi, and welcome to the Bible belt...

Posted by   + Show Post

Mobile Photo

This was in my paper this morning.

**sigh**
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Replies (151-160):
cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Love Mark Hitchcock. This is exactly how I interpret Revelation.
I think he makes a great observation that is often missed. I believe when the time comes, people will take the "mark" intentionally. It won't be an accident.

Quoting GrannyM.:

This is the entire article...I'm a Christian who believes in the Bible...I do not live in fear...

Technology renews questions among some in Oklahoma about end time, 'mark of the beast'

Could technology be indicators of biblical prophecy about the “mark of the beast” as mentioned in the Book of Revelation? An Oklahoma pastor and two Bible scholars share their views on recent concerns about the “mark of the beast.”

By Carla Hinton | Published: May 4, 2013    Comment on this article 4

“The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed. It also forced all people, great and small, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hands or on their foreheads, so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.”

— Revelation 13:15-18

The phrase “mark of the beast” and the numbers “666” capture people's attention quickly enough.

Mention one of these references to the Antichrist or Satan in a sentence about technology, and that attention is magnified.

That's what recently happened when an Oklahoma woman said she was concerned that biometric palm scanners used by her hospital employer to collect patient information were too similar to the “mark of the beast” referenced in the biblical Book of Revelation.

The Grove woman isn't alone in her concerns that some technological advances are subterfuge for the mark of the devil.

Over the years, people have expressed apprehension about biometric digital photographs such as those used for driver's licenses in several states. Parents of students in some school districts across the country have become alarmed about vein scanners and student I.D. cards that include a biochip implant system, or radio frequency identification (RFID) chips, to track students on school grounds at all times.

Even the Social Security number, first issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration in 1935, has come under suspicion by some as a possible precursor to the “mark of the beast” and one world government. One world government also is mentioned in Revelation as a sign of the end times and the reign of the Antichrist.

The Rev. Steve Kern, pastor of Olivet Baptist Church, 1201 NW 10, said many Christians are troubled by happenings that seem to indicate that the world is moving toward one government, as prophesied in Revelation. He said that is where the recent concerns with technology come in.

“The Christian community is very much concerned with not just the ‘mark of the beast' but the move toward ‘one world order,'” he said. Kern said they are troubled because they believe that an individual's rights come from God, not from a world government.

“All of a sudden you've got a situation where rights come from government, not from God,” he said.

“Things don't happen just all at once. Things happen one at a time. There are these little concerns.”

Not time yet?

Two Bible scholars, the Rev. Mark Hitchcock and Doug Miller, both of Edmond, said they understand people's anxiety about prophesies detailed in Revelation, but they should not worry about the “mark of the beast” just yet.

Hitchcock said invasion of privacy may be a real concern for people these days with technological advances.

Hitchcock, a Bible prophecy expert and pastor of Faith Bible Church, 600 N Coltrane in Edmond, said he believes Revelation is full of literal prophecy, so he is not saying that there will not be a time when people will be forced to choose between accepting the “mark of the beast” or death. He said he simply does not think that time — which he called the Tribulation — has come.

“It's basically going to be a Pledge of Allegiance to the Antichrist. It's going to be in the future. It's not right now,” Hitchcock said.

He said, according to Bible prophecy, the Tribulation is a seven-year period after the Lord “raptures” Christians to heaven. The people left behind will then be subjected to the Tribulation, dark days when the Antichrist will come to prominence. He said the Tribulation will be immediately followed by the second coming of Christ, according to Scripture.

Miller, host of the Bott Radio Bible study show “Dialogue,” shared the viewpoint.

“If there are still born-again believers out there, then the beast has not yet appeared,” Miller said. “If you're left behind for the Tribulation, you'll have more than the ‘mark of the beast' to worry about.”

Hitchcock said he interprets Scripture to indicate that people will take the mark with purpose and intention and that there will be no deception about it.

“They will be rejecting the true God and taking the Antichrist as their god, so no one is going to take the mark of the beast accidentally,” he said.

“It's going to be something that's purposeful and intentional, because it says in Revelation 14 that people who take the mark of the beast are going to be doomed and cast into hell. God is not going to send people to hell for doing something unintentional.”

Growing interest

Hitchcock said people have always seemed interested in the Book of Revelation, written by the apostle John. He said he is not surprised that interest in the prophecy revealed in Revelation appears to have grown in recent years.

“We live in times where everything is magnified because of the information that's out there 24/7, and there are a lot of things happening in our world that are very troubling to a lot of people,” Hitchcock said.

“Then people read the Bible and they see parallels there, and so they wonder if this is the thing that the Bible is talking about. It just highlights that we need to be careful about these things and not engage in sensationalism and fear and of those things.”

When asked what he says to naysayers who reject Bible prophecy as nonsense, Hitchcock had a ready answer.

“Some people say it's just mythology or legends or whatever, but there are 500 prophecies in the Bible that have been fulfilled already,” he said.

“That gives a solid foundation for believing that future prophecies that haven't been fulfilled, will be fulfilled.”

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Thibmom:

Not to sound snarky at all, but I know what the Bible says. I'm very educated about the End Times, especially. I'm just genuinely curious about what exactly the article is saying about it.

I know I don't need to prove anything, but I felt as if you gave me that scripture reference to be a witness. I am a Christian. :) I fully believe in the second coming, and I get excited when more signs show that time is drawing near.

Quoting toomanypoodles: 
Quoting Thibmom:I'm curious about what the article said.
 You can start with the Book of Revelation in the Holy Bible.
Revelation 13:16-18
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

Awesome!  You are a rarity around here.  Thanks for clarifying.  :)

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Quoting KreatingMe:

Your post was ugly from the beginning.

Quoting ashellbell:

I'm not going to argue with you. I'm not turning a peaceful thread in to an ugly one. :-)

Quoting yourspecialkid: 

Quoting ashellbell:You're wrong. I've not bashed at all. The MAJORITY of the people in here haven't. You're the one trying to make it that. Just stop and come join us in the actual conversation.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, your local paper is not allowed to discuss religion?  Or just not allowed to discuss anything Christian?

Our paper has a Religion Section and they print stuff from lots of different faiths.  I didn't feel the need to make a bashing post about the one on Halal meat processing.  I thought it was gross..it is meat processing, how can it not be gross...but it was interesting.

Yes, you intended to make a bashing post...just read your title.

Yup.  Not cool, Ash. 

I love how another Mom told me this post was NOT about bashing and only 1 other Mom had bashed!  LOL  That was the SOLE INTENT of the post.

LOL!  Sure!

Let's look at your post...

The title...  Hi, and welcome to the Bible belt

The contents...  a picture of your paper with an article we cannot read.

Your response to the picture...  This was in my paper this morning.  *sigh*

Your entire post was meant ot be a bash.  If you had been interested in the CONTENT of the article you would have posted the title of the article and the article for us to read and discuss. 

If you did not intend to bash..then I suggest you make a couple of edits.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ashellbell:

You're wrong. I've not bashed at all. The MAJORITY of the people in here haven't. You're the one trying to make it that. Just stop and come join us in the actual conversation.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, your local paper is not allowed to discuss religion?  Or just not allowed to discuss anything Christian?

Our paper has a Religion Section and they print stuff from lots of different faiths.  I didn't feel the need to make a bashing post about the one on Halal meat processing.  I thought it was gross..it is meat processing, how can it not be gross...but it was interesting.

Yup.  Not cool, Ash. 

I love how another Mom told me this post was NOT about bashing and only 1 other Mom had bashed!  LOL  That was the SOLE INTENT of the post.

Ash, you're pretty good---you're not typically a basher, I'm not pointing fingers, but these posts bring out the bashers. There are some on here that will post every little thing they can find out there that will make someone laugh at the stupid Christians.

All these posts ever do is make people scoff, laugh, mock and criticize Christians. I just wonder why so many feel the need to do it.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting coronado25:

I am atheist. I have no therapist. Worship is a repungent activity and should be expunged from humanity.

What do you suggest be done about it?  Fire up some gas chambers for Christians to be sent into?  Maybe hanging or a guillotine?

Wow. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Any topic is going to bring out bashers. We could start a post about rainbows and someone will come in and just dump all over it. That's what happens when anonymity and the internet meet, that doesn't mean we should just stop discussing things all together. It's easy to ignore or to just walk away like I did with special kid. I found this newspaper particularly bothersome and intriguing. One that could have a good discussion. Most people have been respectful.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting ashellbell:

You're wrong. I've not bashed at all. The MAJORITY of the people in here haven't. You're the one trying to make it that. Just stop and come join us in the actual conversation.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yup.  Not cool, Ash. 

Ash, you're pretty good---you're not typically a basher, I'm not pointing fingers, but these posts bring out the bashers. There are some on here that will post every little thing they can find out there that will make someone laugh at the stupid Christians.

All these posts ever do is make people scoff, laugh, mock and criticize Christians. I just wonder why so many feel the need to do it.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Quoting ashellbell:

Any topic is going to bring out bashers. We could start a post about rainbows and someone will come in and just dump all over it. That's what happens when anonymity and the internet meet, that doesn't mean we should just stop discussing things all together. It's easy to ignore or to just walk away like I did with special kid. I found this newspaper particularly bothersome and intriguing. One that could have a good discussion. Most people have been respectful.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yup.  Not cool, Ash. 

Honey, I like you so I'm going to say this lovingly---you didn't post anything here as a discussion.  You posted something that caused many nasty women to begin mocking Christians again. 

It wasn't cool, Ash...sorry you don't agree.  Try walking in our shoes though---or a Muslim's shoes, or anyone not in the mainstream secular world. 

I think you've been around here long enough to know this topic DOES bring out the bashers.  I'm surprised you posted it cuz it's NOT like you. 

I think these people need to learn tollerence for A Christian's beliefs too.  Can't we have our beliefs without being called crazy or in need of therapy?  Have you read some of the comments within this post?  It's just meanness. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on May. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not here to play the whose shoes are harder route. I'm an atheist in southern baptist world, I imagine we both have stories we can share. I posted this because of the challenge to atheist post. I said I didn't understand the rift between religion and science, then I see this. It's interesting to say the least. Oh, and I've seen the ugliness in this thread from BOTH sides. I wonder why I see both sides doing it and you only see one, and instead of focusing on the discussion, you're choosing to continue the fight when there just shouldn't be one.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Yup.  Not cool, Ash. 

Honey, I like you so I'm going to say this lovingly---you didn't post anything here as a discussion.  You posted something that caused many nasty women to begin mocking Christians again. 

It wasn't cool, Ash...sorry you don't agree.  Try walking in our shoes though---or a Muslim's shoes, or anyone not in the mainstream secular world. 

I think you've been around here long enough to know this topic DOES bring out the bashers.  I'm surprised you posted it cuz it's NOT like you. 

I think these people need to learn tollerence for A Christian's beliefs too.  Can't we have our beliefs without being called crazy or in need of therapy?  Have you read some of the comments within this post?  It's just meanness. 

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Not at all. I love all people including those that believe in such things as god/s and supernatural beings, I only detest the belief. Worship is one of the most vulgar practices indulged in by those who believe in the existence of supernatural entities. The people, are wonderful and I would never wish anyone harm. The belief in god/s and such is what disgusts me.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting coronado25:

I am atheist. I have no therapist. Worship is a repungent activity and should be expunged from humanity.

What do you suggest be done about it?  Fire up some gas chambers for Christians to be sent into?  Maybe hanging or a guillotine?

Wow. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GrannyM.
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

The majority of news papers have a "religion" section...especially in the south. I enjoy reading it but of course no one is forced to read any of it...   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured