Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

brEaKiNg NEws Police: Escaped California mental patient obsessed with Sandy Hook

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 18 Replies

hour
ago

Police: Escaped California mental patient obsessed with Sandy Hook

By Melissa Pamer and Lolita Lopez, NBCLosAngeles.com

A man who has threatened young children and is obsessed by the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary School escaped from a mental health facility in Orange County, Calif. on Friday, and police were warning the public to be on the lookout for him.

Garden Grove police said Norris Phuoc Nguyen, 23, poses a danger to the community.

Garden Grove Police Chief Kevin Raney said Nguyen walked away at 4:45 p.m. from Royale Health Care Center at Bristol Street and Warner Avenue in Santa Ana, Calif., where he had been detained since December 2012.

Authorities became familiar with Nguyen, who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and repeatedly detained and institutionalized, in August 2011. At that time, he walked into the Westminster Police Department dressed in camouflage and holding an assault rifle, saying he wanted to "die by cop," Raney said.

The weapon was not loaded, the chief said, adding that Nguyen did not have a permit for the firearm.

Nguyen was questioned, and police found he was fixated on a teacher at a Garden Grove elementary school that he had attended, Raney said, declining to name the school.

"We have statements and we have the firm belief that he is committed, unfortunately, to harming children at this specific school," Raney said.

Nguyen had been detained periodically since then, Raney said, until it became apparent in interviews with him in December that he was obsessed by the massacre that left 26 dead at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school on Dec. 14, 2012.

Nguyen has spoken repeatedly both about protecting children and endangering them, Raney said.

"He has written manifestos and other writings that are extremely extensive, extremely descriptive," Raney said. "The thoughts that he is having are real to him and there is, unfortunately, a very strong potential that he will act upon those thoughts."

Ten days ago, Nguyen's mother, who lives in Huntington Beach, tried to gain custody of her son at a court hearing, but the judge refused to have him release, Raney said.

Nguyen is described at 5-foot-8-inches tall, 150 pounds and with black hair and brown eyes. Nguyen is of Vietnamese descent.

He was last seen wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, a white T-shirt, gray pants and white shoes.

Authorities across Orange County and some state law enforcement were actively searching for Nguyen.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Hope they find him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
finnbar
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Oh my. That facility needs to lose it's licence
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 4, 2013 at 12:35 PM

He "walked away" from the facility? Someone with violent tendencies should not be free to walk away. Why wasn't he in a locked down facility?

Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL still not as scary as my  goverment :)

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Fuck that is my area.  I live in the town his mom is in.  Should I go get my kid out of school?

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Funny to youhuh?  Try having it be your town he is escaped in and having your little one in school.  Not so funny for me.

Quoting Cutenessmom:

LOL still not as scary as my  goverment :)

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this
He can't legally own a gun so we're all safe.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless he buys it at a trade show.....or through a private seller.....

Quoting Carpy:

He can't legally own a gun so we're all safe.

MissTacoBell
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
May 9th I'm heading to Huntington Beach for my mommy vacation....dammit.

I hope that school is on lockdown...
lancet98
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Probably at his mom's house.   She wanted him released, and may have helped him get out.

Parents often believe they can take care of the person better than anyone else, or they're embarrassed that the person is hospitalized and want to cut it as short as possible.

In some countries, some people believe that mental illness is caused by demons or trauma.   They may believe they know better how to treat the mental illness than a staff of experts.

Especially if someone is obsessed with harming someone, the parents may be in denial and may not really believe the person might harm someone.

As far as the place losing its license, that's a tough call.   

The 'lock downs' you imagine really don't exist.

Public hospitals, where most mentally ill people wind up, simply don't have adequate facilities to keep them from escaping.   They just don't have the physical facilities to do this.

I've been sitting in the lobby and watched other dangerous mentally ill people just walk out of very well run hospitals.   

Remember that at most hospitals no one can require a person to take medication against their will, so you're not just dealing with a person, you're dealing with an untreated person.  It can be pretty unnerving to walk in to a ward and find the nurses all cowering behind the front desk because the patients are all unmedicated.

If a person is very delusional they can be extremely clever about slipping out.

But there's more.   Doctors often can't get someone to go INTO the hospital unless they do so voluntarily, and if they go voluntarily, they also can leave at any time.   Even if this guy made threats he may have still been in there voluntarily.

So...need more information before insisting the facility is at fault.

My best advice is to call the police if you see the person, and give him a wide berth - don't be a hero and don't try to corner him.  Leave him alone, watch what direction he's headed in and call the police.

Sadly, the police are probably going to wind up shooting him.  THey'll give him 'a direct order' and then shoot when he doesn't 'comply'.   Hopefully they get some CITA people in who can bring this guy back without anyone getting hurt.

Another product of allowing the severely ill psychotic person to refuse treatment.   We've made this bed and now we are DEFINITELY layin' in it and very much suffering the consequences.

As Jeff Goldblum said, 'When the Pirates of the Caribbean ride breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists'.   Which is to say a mildly ill person can pick and choose his treatment without jeophardizing himself or others.   A severely il psychotic person may not choose an appropriate treatment for himself.

Question is, when will we agree to do something about it?

By all indications on this forum, we'd rather argue about gun control than help the severely mentally ill to be safe again.  

This is probably a very nice guy when he's getting appropriate treatment.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)