Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Young Americans, Work and Social Security

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
  • 37 Replies

This is my first post in a long time and prob only the second or third post I have ever created in this group.

My dad and I were discussing politics briefly one morning.  He said that it was mentioned on the news that "not enough young Americans were working and contributing to social security while too many were not working and taking from it" in the form of disability, SSI, etc.  Young men and women who most likely could work, but chose not to.  Not FS, TANF or medicaid, but just social security/SSI/disability.

I guess I never really noticed one way or another.  I worked to get where I'm at now.  I know a few people who prob fit into the above category, but not at the level he was making it out to be.

Of course, I never actually read or heard any such thing from the news, so I honestly couldn't be sure if he had taken something out of context. 

Do you believe it to be true?  Not enough contributing and too many taking?

by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We have too few self sustaining jobs in this country VS # of people in need.

Many older folks (still employed), have not saved sufficient amts for their own retirement...these folks are staying in the workplace longer, further decreasing the number of available jobs.

Add in the job losses d/t technology, outsourcing and downsizing and you have the perfect storm.

Our economy needs to be re- calibrated-

Too few self -sustaining jobs is the main problem.

gludwig2000
by Gina on May. 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM
5 moms liked this

Its a real possibility. I remember when my daughter got an IEP, and so many people started to tell me that meant I could get her on SS1 and get a check for her. When I told them that she didn't have anything wrong with her, just that she learned a little different and that she didn't need a check coming every month saying that there was something wrong with her, they looked at me like I was crazy. I heard countless times "but you are a single mom, you know you can use the extra money" but I don't think that way. Some people need it, and that is who its there for, but just because you may qualify for it, that doesn't mean that you need it. In my case, I did not want her to believe that she had a disability and needs to be taken care of. Instead, she learned how to adjust her learning, and is doing just fine. I didn't enable her, I empowered her.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Bottom line, people need to put in, in order for others to take out- it's a pyramid scheme- The base is fragile because with fewer self sustaining jobs, less dollars are being put in-

It's ok though, dad can work until he's 75 and Jr will still be living in the basement at 55- When dad checks out at 75 1/12, there might be a job opening, if the position has not been eliminated, downsized or outsourced-

stormcris
by Christy on May. 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is bull hockey.

Billions in social security is invested in government bonds. I would think the state of the US finances should be more of a concern than who is receiving these programs but such programs fail to bring up that subject. These same people seem to be lobbying for more social security tax and I feel it is so more money will go to other programs than to stay in the one it was originally meant to contribute toward.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

The raping of 1 program to pay for others is just bad news.

Quoting stormcris:

I think it is bull hockey.

Billions in social security is invested in government bonds. I would think the state of the US finances should be more of a concern than who is receiving these programs but such programs fail to bring up that subject. These same people seem to be lobbying for more social security tax and I feel it is so more money will go to other programs than to stay in the one it was originally meant to contribute toward.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I suspect that is hyperbole. It has always been politically expedient to attempt the gloom and doom route.

ESPECIALLY when there is someone to blame.

That does not mean that there aren't problems, it just means (to me) that instead of attempting to fix them we are just voting in people who want to be voted in.

jblueeyes228
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I don't think it is true. Getting SSD or SSI is Not easy to get. I have Lupus and a few other illness's and it took a few years to finally get accepted for Disability.And, I was/am extremly sick! Faking it just wouldn't work for young people,many Doctors have to sign paperwork and explain in detail, just how sick u are.Believe me, the money I get isn't much. I would love to work if i could just to make more money. I couldn't live alone on what I make. I live with my daughter.It's a very good question though..

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I see this posted alot on here. I don't know if it's true or not, as I've never really studied it. Both my kids have their retirement accounts going strong, so I think they aren't assume SS will be there for them.

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I do think it's true.  In June 2012, more people were added to the disability rolls than jobs created.  

Quote:

While the economy has created 2.6 million jobs since June 2009, fully 3.1 million workers signed up for disability benefits.  In other words, the number of new disability enrollees has climbed 19% faster than the number of new jobs created during the sluggish recovery.”

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/07/06/more-people-going-on-disability-than-getting-jobs-under-obama/

In January 2013, Social Security ran a deficit by $49billion!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/06/opinion/sunday/social-security-its-worse-than-you-think.html

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:22 PM
But to me, it seems that a lot of people are being approved for SSI or SSD when they are younger, without even paying into the system long enough. I guess I just don't get that. In your case & others that truly have a disability is one thing, but it just seems that there's a lot of people imo, that shouldn't be receiving SSI or SSD. But, I will take your word for it that it's hard to get. From what I read Social Security that was design to help Seniors in their retiring yrs. is one program. Paying into it & qualifying to collect it. SSI or SSD is a separate program. From what I read, SSI/SSD program is runnng out of funds faster than Soc. Sec. I wonder what is being done about this. Because, it seems that a lot of people last yr. that ran out of their unemployment, went straight to applying to get SSI/SSD. As more & more people go on these programs, I wonder how we are to pay for this program. When so many people are not working. I read some pretty high numbers, more than ever before, was approved for SSD/SSI last yr. I wonder WHY so many were approved, comparison to previous yrs. From what I read, certain people that are Bipolar can get on SSD, then they also qualify for Medicare. I believe certain back issues & people with ADD can also get SSD. My husband has had serious back problems for a long, long time. He qualified a long time ago to collect SSD. But, he said he didn't want to. He said it would make him feel like a loser & take away his self worth. Thing is he would of been able to go on disability & collect much more than what he would collect on regular Soc. Sec. Plus, not to mention going on Medicare, that would also save us a lot.
Quoting jblueeyes228:

I don't think it is true. Getting SSD or SSI is Not easy to get. I have Lupus and a few other illness's and it took a few years to finally get accepted for Disability.And, I was/am extremly sick! Faking it just wouldn't work for young people,many Doctors have to sign paperwork and explain in detail, just how sick u are.Believe me, the money I get isn't much. I would love to work if i could just to make more money. I couldn't live alone on what I make. I live with my daughter.It's a very good question though..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN