Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chemotherapy Ineffective 97% of The Time

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 17 Replies

A study published in August 2003 revealed that of adult cancer in the USA and Australia, the use of chemotherapy, when looking at adjuvant and curative use, provided a cure only 2.1% of the time in the USA and 2.3% of the time in Australia.

The study undertook a literature search for randomized clinical trials which saw a 5-year survival rate that was attributed solely to cytotoxic chemotherapy in adult malignancies. The data was taken from the cancer registry in Australia and from the Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results data in the USA for 1998. As stated, the final results show that the overall contribution of curative and adjuvant cytotoxic chemotherapy to 5-year survival in adults was estimated to be 2.3% in Australia and 2.1% in the USA.

In the video below Dr. Peter Glidden cites the study that concludes better than 97% of the time, chemotherapy does not work. Yet it’s one of the main treatments in the battle against cancer. Dr. Glidden explains why that’s still the case.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I didn't watch the video but that's very interesting. My mom had breast cancer. She had a mastectomy on the right side and 8 years later it was found on the left side, so she had another mastectomy. About 2 years after that she was diagnosed with bone cancer. She was on meds and that put it in remission for a while but was told she would build up a tolerance to the meds, have to have them changed and eventually chemo. Since chemo was presented as a last chance, she waited until she was told that was her only option. She died about 3 months later. I'm still not sure if the chemo failed or if it was because she waited too long to start. This article makes me think the chemo was just a waste of time and made her last months miserable. We'll never know for sure.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

How long will it be until we look back at chemo treatment and laugh at how stupid it was, and shake our head in wonder that we'd think something like that would work. 

Now ideally, it'd work and we wouldn't have to shake our head at the idea of chemo. But you hear so much of this.

(Edit - not trying to be crass - since so many have underwent chemo - we wouldn't laugh at them and their efforts at sparing their lives but "laugh" in the way we "laugh at" those who thought blood-letting was a good idea back a couple hundred years ago. )

CafeMom Tickers

OwlNuggets
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Really?
My Oma had a 10% chance of surviving breast cancer in 1977 and became a guinea pig for the CCA trying out new cocktails of drugs and all assortment of new radiation and chemotherapy.
She's alive today thanks to that break-through chemotherapy and radiation.:) 

karamille
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This is stupid.  For 1) its over a decade old.  Do you have any idea how much cancer treatment has changed in that amount of time?  For 2) cure means its 100% gone for ever.  Most of the time cancer is about remission and preventing it from flairing back up.   This is very misleading.  

LeanneB267
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have to disagree.  I know a lot of people who have lived for decades after having chemotherapy.  I find it difficult to believe that they can conclude this purely from epidemiological data when MOST cancers are treated with more than one treatment.  Think about it.  97% of people who die of cancer have probably had chemotherapy, right?  What can you conclude from that?  Nothing.  Most people who opt for chemotherapy generally choose to do so because either other treatments have not worked, or the cancer is already in the lymph nodes and so has progressed beyond a Stage 1 diagnosis.

Even my father, who has been in remission for 25 years following intensive chemotherapy, has not been given an all clear.  They HAVE told him it is a matter of when not if.  So far there is no sign of his cancer returning, so that is great, but there is no such thing as a cure.  When his comes back, does that mean he will fall in the statistic of chemo not working because it didn't cure anything?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Chemo kills all cells- so it brings the patient to the brink of death before other therapies can hopefully build the person back up.

The article is referring to CURE rates-  most cancers are pretty hard to cure.

AussieArcana
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Well thank God that Chemo saved my uncle and my auntie!

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My husband had MOPP and ABVD when he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymohoma 4b. Hes been in remission 16 years.

He was also suppose to be sterile. We have 3 children :)

I have decided for myself, if I get a terminal diagnosis, I will not seek treatment.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Quoting -Celestial-:

My husband had MOPP and ABVD when he was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymohoma 4b. Hes been in remission 16 years.

He was also suppose to be sterile. We have 3 children :)

I have decided for myself, if I get a terminal diagnosis, I will not seek treatment.

I have known so many young people who have had cancer, achieved remission only to have a recurrence resulting in death.

I do not know that I would want to undergo chemo- the side effects can be worse and as deadly as the cancer itself. Such a catch 22.

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Chemo didn't work for my son. They need to find a way to beat cancer. They can control HiV, but cant control cancer in a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)