Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Must haves...

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 106 Replies

So we are lazily house hunting.  More like neighborhood hunting right now.  A must have for us is either a house with a pool, or a house in a neighborhood that has it's own pool.  We're in Texas.  It gets frigging hot.  Like entire lakes dried up last summer hot.  Someone told me our must have sounds like we just want to show off.  Asshole.  Did I mention there are three seasons here?  Hot, Holy Shit It's Hot, and Maybe I'll Take a Hoodie.  No pool is a deal breaker for us.  What is - or was - a deal breaker for you when you were house hunting?  What is your Must Have?

by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

We're pretty much disparate at this point to get out of the hell hole we are living in right now. I think we'd take anything as long as it isn't a trailer and its in a decent neighborhood.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I lived in AZ for a short while.  If we were still there a pool would absolutly be a must.

We're in WI, and kinda like you we look for houses occasionally.  We currently have a home, just trying to see if there is something bigger/better and a good price.

Want a bigger yard - at least a half acre, preferably a finished basement.  Must - nice neighborhood, quiet street, more space between neighbors, garage, A/C.  And really since we are in WI, NO pool - we only have a few months we could use it and you lose so much yard.  (An indoor pool we'd consider).

kam013
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

In my next house a pool would be a "MUST HAVE" and I don't even live in a hot state.  I live in MA, we have plenty of cold weather, but I LOVE to swim.  It's my favorite form of exercise, so I must want to "show off" too.  LOL

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I lived in Fl for 10 years, I understand! Good luck getting a pool, you deserve it. My next place must have, has more to do with the neighborhood than the house. I will never again live in a place where the houses are so close together and have no yards or outside space. 

cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I said I would only move to TX if we got a house with a basement. Of course, since we've been here, it has hardly even rained, much less stormed. A pool would have definitely been more relevant. I miss water!

Last summer where I live, they were either asking people not to fill their pools or banned them. We could only water our lawns on certain days too.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this

"A" rated schools in my zone.  No major highway bordering the neighborhood. A deed restricted community that was actually enforced. Houses and yards that were all well kept. Not a lot of vacant homes. No HUD Zones. Community side walks. Grocery stores nearby. A pool in the backyard that was enclosed, a privacy fence, a flat driveway not on an incline. Wood floors, or mostly wood floors, very low crime and no predator rates, near a gymnastics center, easy commute route. A neighborhood with families our own age. School within walking distance. Master bedroom on opposite side of the house from the kids, huge tub in my bathroom with a separate area with a door for the toilet, No 2 story homes. Indoor laundry room, walk in closets. Off the top of my head. 

I actually have an excel spreadsheet with things I started keeping track  of every time we moved. If I didn't like something in one house I wrote it down and entered it on my list. It's all organized from most important into least and things I am willing to bend on and then the deal breakers. We moved 12 times in a 5 yr period, so my list is damn long. Lol 

Having a Starbucks, Publix, Walmart, Target, Walgreens, and a Sonic nearby (I love their ice and buy it by the bagful) are also on my list. Lol 

So is being far enough away from my inlaws that they cannot stop in any time, but close enough they will only stay for the day when they do come over. ;/) 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hell-hole-freedom thoughts coming your way.

Quoting momma2b2008:

We're pretty much disparate at this point to get out of the hell hole we are living in right now. I think we'd take anything as long as it isn't a trailer and its in a decent neighborhood.

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Thanks, we really need them! :-)

Quoting LauraKW:

Hell-hole-freedom thoughts coming your way.

Quoting momma2b2008:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quote:

Someone told me our must have sounds like we just want to show off

Sounds like nasty jealousy to me. That was an asshole thing to say. 
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Prayers sent to you and your family for this!! When we were first married we were in a similar situation. It was awful. We didnt have kids at that point, and I am thankful for that. If we did it would have been truly horrifying. 

Quoting momma2b2008:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN