Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you take your child and leave?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 63 Replies

So Peanut's last soccer game of the season was today.  They were in first place, and this team was the only one who could knock them out of first.  Well, halfway through the 2nd half the other team got up 2-1 on us.  At that point one of the moms stood up, said "I'll be damned if I end up with a hysterical kid over a game that he only plays for 2 seconds anyway".  She gathered up her stuff, walked over to the team, and left with her son.  Seriously?  My son doesn't play much in games - he won't be winning any soccer scholarships :) - but he has fun and that's all that matters.  He is learning sportsmanships, how to deal with winning and losing, and what it means to be part of a team.  And did I mention he has fun?  Ok, so tell me your thoughts.  Was she trying to protect her son?  I don't understand why she did this.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeanneB267
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Great sportsmanship there.  What a role model!  I bet she'd be the first one screaming bad sportsmanship if someone on the other team did the same thing if her son was on the winning team.  Unfortunately, you can't control the values some people believe should be important.  But you can be sad for them that life is such a shallow place.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM
No brainier she set a bad example. Ugh.
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

She did it because she was one of Those Parents that get way too involved in their kids' lives.  His hysteria would have probably been caused by embarassment over the fit his mom would have pitched if his team lost.

Years later, that boy's wife will be posting on CM about what a total bitch her MIL is.

lga1965
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I really think that Mom has a bad attitude. Early menopause? LOL. No, seriously, she's missing out on some priceless moments in her son's life. Her need to win, her ambition and negative attitude will be a bad influence on her son. She wasn't trying to protect him---she made it all about her.

You are right that kids enjoy playing. They really don't care about winning. My grandson and his teammates played together for years before they had a winning season but it didn't bother them. They loved playing soccer, loved their coaches and the game. Watching their games has been one of the most heart warming and enjoyable experiences that I have had in a very long time!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Shit, I just had a MIL flashback.

Quoting Rhodin:

She did it because she was one of Those Parents that get way too involved in their kids' lives.  His hysteria would have probably been caused by embarassment over the fit his mom would have pitched if his team lost.

Years later, that boy's wife will be posting on CM about what a total bitch her MIL is.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Sounds like mom should have grown up before she decided to have a kid.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I witnessed far too many parents like this one when my youngest played soccer.

It is irrational, irresponsible and teaches their child nothing positive.

She was not trying to protect her son from any thing.  She is a fool.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

You win as a team, you lose as a team.

What she teaching her son?

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 5, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Ok, I thought maybe I was missing something.  The consensus seems to be that what she did was crappy, but why?  Was she selfish?  A bad sport?  A regular dumbass?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on May. 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Quoting LauraKW:

Ok, I thought maybe I was missing something.  The consensus seems to be that what she did was crappy, but why?  Was she selfish?  A bad sport?  A regular dumbass?

That is a question, the 'why?', that only she can answer. 

Some how, though.............I doubt she could.  At least not an answer that makes any sense or is rational.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)