Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow Straight Pride?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 174 Replies

This just makes me so sad. While I'm straight I certainly would never disrespect anyone's sexual preference and that's what this sign seems to do. 

When will people be accepted for whatever they are? I suspect never, but it would be nice to see. 

I feel like saying to the friend that posted this on FB, you just don't understand do you? Maybe it's time to remove her from FB. 

by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I have a friend who will most likely post this if she sees it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meriana
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
19 moms liked this
Why does it make you sad? Do Gay Pride signs, logos, etc. also make you sad? This is really no different than those. How about the gay pride parades? I've never gone to them but have seen clips of them on the news and quite frankly the manner in which a lot of the participants dress, or I should say Undress and their behavior strikes me as anything but pride. What I find sad is that sexuality, etc. has become so important that people find or see a need to proclaim it to the world and hold as "haters" anyone who doesn't agree with and support through action of some sort their personal beliefs/ideas.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM

it's like the "do you support 'traditional marriage' crap, as though you don't if you support marriage equality.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
10 moms liked this

Oh for Pete's sake!  Who cares?  I don't get all bent out of shape over gay pride signs...and I think homosexuality is a sin.

It seems like people look for something to offend them.

afwifeandmommy3
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM
5 moms liked this
I see nothing wrong with either being prideful . Shouldn't matter to anyone
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM
8 moms liked this

no one questions YOUR right to live your life as you wish, or your right to be with your SO, that's the difference. no one's calling for your right to marry to be held hostage to the approval of the general public.

but you already know that, and your confusion is disingenuous.

Quoting meriana:

Why does it make you sad? Do Gay Pride signs, logos, etc. also make you sad? This is really no different than those. How about the gay pride parades? I've never gone to them but have seen clips of them on the news and quite frankly the manner in which a lot of the participants dress, or I should say Undress and their behavior strikes me as anything but pride. What I find sad is that sexuality, etc. has become so important that people find or see a need to proclaim it to the world and hold as "haters" anyone who doesn't agree with and support through action of some sort their personal beliefs/ideas.

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

RandRMomma
by Maya on May. 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this
It makes me sad. Why? It seems as if this poster was made to make fun of gay pride. That's not cool.

Quoting meriana:

BellaByrdie
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Thankfully the right to marry my husband was no longer a question by the time I married my husband, a black man.  But We have gotten dirty looks and comments.  I've been told my marriage is a sin the bible warns about and that my marriage is an abomination as are the children we created.  Yes it sucks.  Yes its wrong.  But hearing my marriage being condemed as wrong and immoral only makes my stance for Marriage equality that much stronger. 

I am proud to be staight.  I'm proud to be a woman.  I'm proud to be part of an interracial marriage.  I am proud to be a mother to biracial children.  I am also proud to be considered a straight ally.  

Quoting autodidact:

no one questions YOUR right to live your life as you wish, or your right to be with your SO, that's the difference. no one's calling for your right to marry to be held hostage to the approval of the general public.

Quoting meriana:

Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
5 moms liked this

Here Here !  Straight and proud ! Just becuase Iam straight does  not mean Iama bigot :)  Just like A gay person's has a right to be proud . Does not mean a straight person  can not be proud.

meriana
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting meriana:

Nope, not confused at all. I just don't see the difference. If group A posts signs, logos proclaiming "pride" in something, there's no reason in the world why group B shouldn't also. It doesn't mean group B "hates" group A or vice versa, just that they also take some sort of pride in something. Take all the political issues out of it and for many, the reaction would be the same. There are signs, logos, etc. proclaiming pride, connection to, support of or disagreement with, just about anything one can name and no one bats an eye and anyone still thinks this should or would be any different? Sure one can say that a "straight pride" sign shows a desire to "force" beliefs on everyone else, etc....and the same can be said for "gay pride" signs. The idea of "forcing" beliefs on others can actually be applied to nearly anything one supports and another doesn't or anything one votes for and another doesn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured