Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Half naked student dressed as the pope hands out condoms at CMU

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 87 Replies

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Students at Carnegie Mellon say it's freedom of expression, but the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh calls it inappropriate and disrespectful.

At an annual art school parade, a female student dressed up as the pope, and was naked from the waist down while she passed out condoms.

Even more, witnesses say the woman had shaved her pubic hair in the shape of a cross.

"I think we all know that when we're growing up we do stupid things but to cross over the line in this instance shouldn't happen with anybody," Bishop David Zubik said.

CMU issued a statement, saying "We are continuing our review of the incident. If our community standards or laws were violated, we will take appropriate action."

Some Carnegie Mellon students we talked with saw no need for discipline.

"It's all in good fun and it's not meant to harm anyone," Ivy Kristov told KDKA's Andy Sheehan.

Bishop Zubik says the incident must be addressed.

"What I do want to have happen is for this person to learn an important lesson," Zubik said.

The University encourages individual thought and artistic expression but the Diocese believes this student not only crossed the line, but trampled all over it.

They are demanding some action.

And a national Catholic organization is now calling for the student's immediate suspension and other sanctions.

She dressed up as the pope from the waist up and paraded naked from the waist down - her public hair shaved in the shape of a cross.

Tuesday morning on NewsRadio 1020 KDKA Bishop David Zubik continued to express outrage.

"Certainly," Zubik said, "because even in terms of the symbol of the cross, it is the most sacred symbol for all Christians."

CMU reiterated its statement that the university is reviewing the incident and will take action if, "our community standards or laws were violated."

But the National Catholic League called for an immediate suspension of the student, noting that CMU recently suspended fraternity members for taking sexual pictures inside the frat and emailing them to other members.

"If CMU tolerates this incident, invoking no sanctions whatsoever, then it is opening a door it may regret," the organization said in a statement.

"What if instead of shaved pubic hair in the shape of a cross, a student chooses to depict a swastika?

CMU's decision not to suspend this female student, who publicly ridiculed Catholics and violated the local ordinance on public nudity, while invoking sanctions against the frat boys for offensive behavior behind closed doors, is legally problematic and morally indefensible."

"I'm an atheist, I thought it was funny to be honest," said student Daniel Kim.

Meanwhile, students KDKA's Andy Sheehan talked to Tuesday continued to brush off the incident as artistic freedom and fun, despite the shocking nature of the display.

What action the university will take is unclear.

What is clear is that the drumbeat for CMU to do something is getting louder.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I adore Bishop Zubik and he is 100 percent right. Had the student done this while wearing a hijab she would have been punished. 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
11 moms liked this
Quoting 12hellokitty:

a national Catholic organization is now calling for the student's immediate suspension and other sanctions.

She dressed up as the pope from the waist up and paraded naked from the waist down - her public hair shaved in the shape of a cross.

violated the local ordinance on public nudity

She violated local ordinances, and should be punished according to the penalty listed for the particular ordinance she violated (public nudity).

If there's no ordinance against making fun of the Pope, then she shouldn't be additionally punished for that aspect.

lga1965
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Ewwww. There are better ways to hand out condoms, birth control. This is stupid.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on May. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I agree.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

a national Catholic organization is now calling for the student's immediate suspension and other sanctions.

violated the local ordinance on public nudity

She violated local ordinances, and should be punished according to the penalty listed for the particular ordinance she violated (public nudity).

If there's no ordinance against making fun of the Pope, then she shouldn't be additionally punished for that aspect.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I adore Bishop Zubik and he is 100 percent right. Had the student done this while wearing a hijab she would have been punished. 

I've seen that sort of assertion a lot.

Why do Christians keep claiming "If you'd done XXX against a Muslim figure rather than a Christian figure, the legal repercussions would have been worse" ?   What's the evidence?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Quoting 12hellokitty:

CMU reiterated its statement that the university is reviewing the incident and will take action if, "our community standards or laws were violated."

But the National Catholic League called for an immediate suspension of the student

This act was highly offensive and, as we have said, the university has been investigating the matter and following our procedures to determine if disciplinary action is warranted.

Some people seem to equate limited communication with no action, believing that the university is doing nothing, and somehow hoping that the issue will just go away. This is not the case, and those who know me and my administration should reject such ideas out of hand.

While our process is still in motion and I cannot comment on or speculate about the resolution of the matter, I can apologize to those who took particular offense. I regret that this occurred, and I apologize to all who were offended by this, for religious or other reasons, and especially to those who witnessed this behavior.

The statement from CMU

(LINK TO THE FULL PICTURE - NOT SAFE FOR WORK/CHILDREN)

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:35 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Why do Christians keep claiming "If you'd done XXX against a Muslim figure rather than a Christian figure, the legal repercussions would have been worse" ?   What's the evidence?

Just several months ago Obama and several members of his administration publicly condemned a youtube trailer as disrespecting Islam. 

A few months before that a judge lectured an Atheist for dressing up as Zombie Muhammad which lead to confusing a Muslim man who thought it was within his right to punch the Atheist for blasphemy. 

Another time was when pieces of bacon were found on a field where Muslims were expected to gather, it was treated as a hate crime only to later be discovered animals had got into some trash. 

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM

It's such a sad, hateful world : (  

This was a public event, I wonder did anyone discourage her actions? Did anyone suggest she cover up or did people just sit back in shock or laughter? 

krysstizzle
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

Just several months ago Obama and several members of his administration publicly condemned a youtube trailer as disrespecting Islam. 

A few months before that a judge lectured an Atheist for dressing up as Zombie Muhammad which lead to confusing a Muslim man who thought it was within his right to punch the Atheist for blasphemy. 

Another time was when pieces of bacon were found on a field where Muslims were expected to gather, it was treated as a hate crime only to later be discovered animals had got into some trash. 

So...what were the legal ramifications, then?

AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I don't even....

How stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)