Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Half naked student dressed as the pope hands out condoms at CMU

Posted by   + Show Post

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Students at Carnegie Mellon say it's freedom of expression, but the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh calls it inappropriate and disrespectful.

At an annual art school parade, a female student dressed up as the pope, and was naked from the waist down while she passed out condoms.

Even more, witnesses say the woman had shaved her pubic hair in the shape of a cross.

"I think we all know that when we're growing up we do stupid things but to cross over the line in this instance shouldn't happen with anybody," Bishop David Zubik said.

CMU issued a statement, saying "We are continuing our review of the incident. If our community standards or laws were violated, we will take appropriate action."

Some Carnegie Mellon students we talked with saw no need for discipline.

"It's all in good fun and it's not meant to harm anyone," Ivy Kristov told KDKA's Andy Sheehan.

Bishop Zubik says the incident must be addressed.

"What I do want to have happen is for this person to learn an important lesson," Zubik said.

The University encourages individual thought and artistic expression but the Diocese believes this student not only crossed the line, but trampled all over it.

They are demanding some action.

And a national Catholic organization is now calling for the student's immediate suspension and other sanctions.

She dressed up as the pope from the waist up and paraded naked from the waist down - her public hair shaved in the shape of a cross.

Tuesday morning on NewsRadio 1020 KDKA Bishop David Zubik continued to express outrage.

"Certainly," Zubik said, "because even in terms of the symbol of the cross, it is the most sacred symbol for all Christians."

CMU reiterated its statement that the university is reviewing the incident and will take action if, "our community standards or laws were violated."

But the National Catholic League called for an immediate suspension of the student, noting that CMU recently suspended fraternity members for taking sexual pictures inside the frat and emailing them to other members.

"If CMU tolerates this incident, invoking no sanctions whatsoever, then it is opening a door it may regret," the organization said in a statement.

"What if instead of shaved pubic hair in the shape of a cross, a student chooses to depict a swastika?

CMU's decision not to suspend this female student, who publicly ridiculed Catholics and violated the local ordinance on public nudity, while invoking sanctions against the frat boys for offensive behavior behind closed doors, is legally problematic and morally indefensible."

"I'm an atheist, I thought it was funny to be honest," said student Daniel Kim.

Meanwhile, students KDKA's Andy Sheehan talked to Tuesday continued to brush off the incident as artistic freedom and fun, despite the shocking nature of the display.

What action the university will take is unclear.

What is clear is that the drumbeat for CMU to do something is getting louder.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Replies (51-60):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Cardinal Zubik has this air of self importance about him. He seems to think he can snap his fingers here and everyone will do what he says. I have never liked the man and I think he's making an ass of himself over this. Until he alerted the media about this, no one knew. So in a way, he drew attention to this so-called despicable act, which was probably not his intention. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Ah.  Well then unless the school has a rule about it then likely she hasn't even broken any ordinance.

Quoting cjsbmom:

No, Carnegie Mellon is not a Catholic college. 

There is some concern that she didn't really violate a public nudity ordinance because this happened on private property. She wasn't marching in a parade. She was on private property participating in an arts event. 

Quoting jllcali:

Is CMU a catholic college? If it's not, then the catholic church has no say in how the university handles this. CMU stated they are investigating.

I think the stunt was stupid and tacky, but the westboro baptist church is more detrimental to christianity in general than a kid's stupid and tacky stunt. Get those fuckers to STFU, then go after stupid college kids.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:09 AM

If she broke the laws regarding naughty bits being exposed, then she should pay the fine/do the time, whatever.  I'm sure she'll document that as part of the project.  It would be interesting to know what grade she got.  I am always curious about how performance artists are evaluated by their professors. 

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM

The first sentence of the OP is right.

It is freedom of expression and it is inappropriate and disrespectful.

As much as people don't like it, the First Amendment is there not to protect fuzzy happy lovely speech but that which some might find repugnant and inappropriate and disrespectful.

Now, the nudity part and local ordinances, if she offended those laws, she should be punished as others would in similar circumstance.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I did get a chuckle.. A lot to do about nothing.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Well that's creative lol.

Seems as if I'm the only one who finds this funny.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
blondekosmic15
I love the Fall. Chill in the air decorated w/ bronze leaves & holidays approaching~
Tuesday at 9:49 PM
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Probably not as funny, and here is why...

I don't see islamists lobbying for or against issues in our government, like the birth control issue, nearly on the same level as the Catholic church. The Catholic church is hugely political and highly influential in our country. That's why this young lady is funny.

You conveniently are silent about the many { not all } Muslims who want sharia law here in America. The Catholic Church is consistent in terms of BC & moral doctrine. If the Church is silent than she would be a hypocrite. To claim the Church is political is a complete failure to understand the words of Jesus who commanded his Apostles & those who love God to teach morality & respect for the sanctity of human life. Jesus was not silent about sin & immorality to pls the gov't. The mere fact you say this is humorous reveals your disrespect for Christianity & freedom of religion. Your secular opinion demonstrates a lack of knowledge concerning the mission of the Catholic Church~

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Well that's creative lol.

Seems as if I'm the only one who finds this funny.

Would you consider this humorous if someone mocked Mohammed or Buddha!?

TerriAnne2606
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I'm Jewish and I have a huge problem with this.  Regardless of what your meaning was supposed to be, respect the position even if you don't like it.  That's just wrong.  (PS - I was baptized as a Presbyterian so before anyone starts down the -you weren't a christian path....).

OneToughMami
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:26 AM

-_- She needs to cover up her hairy little vagina. There are ordinances against penises in public. I want the same protection against vaginas!

katy_kay08
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM

It's a private university not affliated with any church.

Quoting jllcali:

Is CMU a catholic college? If it's not, then the catholic church has no say in how the university handles this. CMU stated they are investigating.

I think the stunt was stupid and tacky, but the westboro baptist church is more detrimental to christianity in general than a kid's stupid and tacky stunt. Get those fuckers to STFU, then go after stupid college kids.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
So legally nothing to be done. Haha.

She was the art; offensive art is still art.

Quoting cjsbmom:

No, Carnegie Mellon is not a Catholic college. 

There is some concern that she didn't really violate a public nudity ordinance because this happened on private property. She wasn't marching in a parade. She was on private property participating in an arts event. 

Quoting jllcali:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I just hope this piece wasn't for sale, LOL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)