Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why Am I The Weird One?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM
  • 39 Replies
I had an interesting conversation with a coworker the other day...she used to be a postulant, so we have had many great discussions about religion.

Anyway, she found out I wear a Pentagram pendant...I'm pagan, so she asked why I wear it like I do...I wear it in front of my solar plexus...I wear it there for personal reasons relating to manipura and prana...she thinks that is strange...

Well, I pointed out her cross necklace and asked her why she wears it over her heart...she said for reasons of protection and guidance. I asked how that was any different than me, and she said I was still weird...

I understand my beliefs aren't the norm, but why am I the weird one for essentially doing the exact same thing as her?

Have you ever noticed this dichotomy? Why do you think it's there? Is it because people generally have a hard time stepping outside of their 'boxes'?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
5 moms liked this

You're not weird, and wearing a pentagram isn't any stranger or more superstitious/less rational than wearing a cross. It's just that society has (rather arbitrarily) chosen to sanction and condone one but not the other.

It doesn't make any sense, but that's how it is.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

It's so much easier to call someone "weird" and then dismiss them than to educate themselves about what they do not know or understand. Now she has given herself permission that she is "okay" and you are 'weird" and she never has to re-visit that topic again.

Meh- don;t sweat the small stuff. Sometimes ignorance is just ignorance.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

People are afraid of difference.

I got married last year and had a handfasting as part of our ceremony. You can imagine.....

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I got married in the back of a limo driving down the Vegas strip.

That didn't go over well haha

Quoting EireLass:

I got married last year and had a handfasting as part of our ceremony. You can imagine.....

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 5, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
What is handfasting?

Quoting EireLass:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I've accepted that some people aren't comfortable with people who make decisions differently than 'they' do. If tht makes me weird to those kinds of people, so be it.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on May. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM
What is manipura and prana?
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The cross itself doesn't protect you anyway.  It is just an inanimate object.  That whole "holding up a cross thing" became popular after the Exorcist.

The Word of God is the weapon, sharper than any two-edged sword.  If you don't have that, as well as the "armor" (helmet of salvation, breastplate of righteousness, belt of truth, shoes of the gospel of peace, shield of faith and - the only offensive weapon - the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God....you've got nothing but jewelry.   

HunnyBabie
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I don't care about any of this; I wear neither pentagram nor cross.  The reason you're the "weird one" is b/c the settlers and founders of the US were Christians; therefore, Christianity seems "normal" and pagan-ism (??? sorry if I've said that wrong) is new-ish.

Yes, I've noticed dichotomy such as this, but it's within "the church".  Some ppl say they're Christians, but disregard parts of the Bible, which they claim to live by; others go out of their way to live by every single word of the Bible but do it very legalistically.

I don't know if the 'box' thing is the reason, but ppl do have a hard time getting out of their own boxes.

PS: what is your solr plexus?  I know it's a muscle (or something), but which one (or group)?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM
8 moms liked this

It's a very old Celtic tradition. We did not follow it exactly. It's usually done, and then 1 year later you decide if you want to be married, and then you have your wedding ceremony. We didn't do that. We'd already been together 5 years. It uses up to 13 different colored cords - each color has a meaning. I used 4 colors. I did a 4-way braid and adorned it with trinkets that had symbolic meaning. Part way through the ceremony, my father-in-law tied us in a handshake. We are making a commitment. You don't untie it, you slip your hands out of it, and it becomes a decoration in your home. Ours is in a 'shadowbox' on our family wall.

Quoting jllcali:

What is handfasting?
Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured