Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Health officials forced to get tough as once-dormant diseases returning

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Canada

VANCOUVER — Late last month, public health officials issued a final ultimatum to the parents of school students in the Ottawa area: Vaccinate your kids, or we will suspend them from school.

On Wednesday, Ottawa Public Health made good on the threat. As of Thursday night, 603 Ottawa students had been sent home by suspension orders.

Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images
Peter Macdiarmid/Getty ImagesMany parents have rejected inoculations for their children due to autism fears.

The idea is not to suspend students arbitrarily, say officials, but to drive home the point that they are no longer messing around when it comes to parents who forget to vaccinate their children — or who refuse the shots outright due to pseudoscientific claims.

Eric Leclair, spokesman for the agency, says there are “a lot of mistruths out there.”

“We have to fight that reality and try to show that vaccination, next to clean water and sanitation, is the most powerful public health tool that exists on the planet.”

Fifteen years ago, in an act of scientific fraud that has since gone down as one of the biggest lies in modern medical history, a onetime University of Toronto researcher named Andrew Wakefield published a study claiming a link between autism and the vaccines that prevent measles, mumps and rubella.

The findings have been debunked, the study has been retracted, and Mr. Wakefield has been stripped of his medical licence and accused of collecting more than half a million dollars from lawyers drawing up litigation based on his bogus claims.

Regardless, Mr. Wakefield’s unholy creation, the idea that vaccines are a threat to public health, lives on in a worldwide scourge of plummeting vaccination rates — and a troubling resurgence of once-dormant diseases.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/03/na0504-th-vaccines/

by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on May. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Uh huh

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
5 moms liked this

Guess a lot more kids will be home-schooled then.  It's weird to me that they always point to Dr. Wakefield as the one and only reason parents refuse vaccinations. There are lots of reasons they refuse. As far as the parents I know who haven't or don't allow vaccinations, Dr. Wakefield had absolutly NOTHING to do with their decision.  Just one more thing that certain people would prefer parents not be allowed to decide for themselves. As for the  pseudoscientific claims, how about the claim that EVERYvaccination is PERFECTLY SAFE for EVERYONE on the planet.  That's like saying peanuts are perfectly safe for everyone on the planet to ingest. 

jllcali
by Jane on May. 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I hope polio doesn't make a comeback
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I really hope this isn't the beginning of something bad.
muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
5 moms liked this

This is what happens when you dont vax, diseases start coming back again. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not aware of any official or scientific claim that vaccinations are 100% safe.

Quoting meriana:

Guess a lot more kids will be home-schooled then.  It's weird to me that they always point to Dr. Wakefield as the one and only reason parents refuse vaccinations. There are lots of reasons they refuse. As far as the parents I know who haven't or don't allow vaccinations, Dr. Wakefield had absolutly NOTHING to do with their decision.  Just one more thing that certain people would prefer parents not be allowed to decide for themselves. As for the  pseudoscientific claims, how about the claim that EVERYvaccination is PERFECTLY SAFE for EVERYONE on the planet.  That's like saying peanuts are perfectly safe for everyone on the planet to ingest. 

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Wtf?

I don't vax and it has nothing to do with autism.
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Neither am I.  In fact, more evidence points to the contrary for me.  And if they are so safe then why do parents need to sign waiver after waiver discharging the doctor, nurse, office of any and all liability if the child becomes ill, suffers serious side effects or dies?  Um, no...just no.

Quoting Momniscient:

I'm not aware of any official or scientific claim that vaccinations are 100% safe.

Quoting meriana:

katinahat
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
4 moms liked this

Straw man argument. You're intentionally misrepresenting the opponent's argument as something easier to combat and disprove. I have never heard a doctor or pharmaceutical company claim that "EVERY vaccination is PERFECTLY SAFE for EVERYONE on the planet". You're creating a "side" that doesn't exist.

Vaccination eliminates the spread and existence of deadly and dangerous diseases and illnesses. For a small portion of people, vaccinations result in minor side effects such as swelling and low-grade fever. For an even smaller portion of people, vaccinations can result in life-threatening side effects such as anaphylaxis.

If you can provide a single scientific (NOTE: peer-reviewed and published study, NOT a pseudoscientific claim) study supporting that vaccinations are the cause of developmental regression in children, then I will be beyond surprised. That's the primary argument/worry that I hear from parents-- developmental regression. Obviously, if the child is allergic to an ingredient in the vaccine (such as eggs in the flu vaccine), they will likely have a negative side effect. Are there any other side effects that you are referring to?

I firmly believe that the minute risk of serious side effects from vaccinations is worth the benefit of eliminating so many dangerous illnesses.

Quoting meriana:

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, homeschooling, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

http://merrrfamily.blogspot.com/

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Probably because of tort law.

Do you refuse all medical interventions you have to sign waivers for?

Regardless... The medical community doesn't say anything is 100%. And the more parents who don't vaccinate the more we'll see things like this.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Neither am I.  In fact, more evidence points to the contrary for me.  And if they are so safe then why do parents need to sign waiver after waiver discharging the doctor, nurse, office of any and all liability if the child becomes ill, suffers serious side effects or dies?  Um, no...just no.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting meriana:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)