Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Working gun made with 3D printer

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM
  • 45 Replies

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."

3D printing has been hailed as the future of manufacturing.

The technology works by building up layer upon layer of material - typically plastic - to build complex solid objects.

The idea is that as the printers become cheaper, instead of buying goods from shops, consumers will instead be able to download designs and print out the items at home.

But as with all new technologies, there are risks as well as benefits.

Personal liberties

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

Wouldn't it be more prudent to focus on the anger issues and lack of responsibility that underlie the tragedies? I think we have a better chance at limiting the problems of far more than gun tragedies through helping those issues.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Oh, this is so cool!  This should make regulating interesting.

gammie
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I have seen it, it is cool.

Everytime one door closes another will open with technology.

By the way if a crazy person wants to kill they do not need a gun.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Here that sound?

That's the sound of the last breath of manufacturing in America.

It's been dying a slow death, but 3D printers are the final nail in the coffin.

Seriously, I'm a gun control advocate, but I think this raises far more important issues for gun manufacturers than it does for gun regulaters.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I am dying to have a 3D printer.

Seriously.

It's about $500, and I am going to have one soon, I have to.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

It is simply amazing what is possible with technology nowadays.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting romalove:

Seriously.

What would you like to use it for?

AMBG825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Thinking that everyone who owns/buys a 3D printer is going to do so solely for the creation of guns is pretty naive. I own guns. I've even built a few guns. I love the 2nd amendment. But i want a 3D printer for things other than printing a gun.

I'm thinking model planes and rockets for my boys. 2 of them are HUGE into RC planes. The dinosaurs for my daughter's tea parties that could be made. I could even make replacement parts for all my broken gadgets around the house. The broken attachment to my steamer - the gasket on my washer. The possibilities are exciting and none of them having to do with gunmaking.

You can build a gun now. There isn't a whole lot of people rushing out to build them now. this printer isn't going to change that.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Okay, but making guns available to make online isn't really responsible. IMO.

3D printers are fine and cool. Like anything else, I hope they aren't used for evil.

AMBG825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I just want to add that just because something CAN do something, doesn't mean that it WILL be used that way.

Back when the IPhone 3 was first released, a group of engineers began using their phones to remotely drive their cars. Yes, your phone can be used as a remote steering device for your car. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not seeing a lot of people using their phones to drive their cars.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting romalove:

Seriously.

What would you like to use it for?

I have a line of jewelry all laid out in my head.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)