Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Working gun made with 3D printer

Posted by   + Show Post

The world's first gun made with 3D printer technology has been successfully fired in the US.

The controversial group which created the firearm, Defense Distributed, plans to make the blueprints available online.

The group has spent a year trying to create the firearm, which was successfully tested on Saturday at a firing range south of Austin, Texas.

Anti-gun campaigners have criticised the project.

Europe's law enforcement agency said it was monitoring developments.

Victoria Baines, from Europol's cybercrime centre, said that at present criminals were more likely to pursue traditional routes to obtain firearms.

She added, however: "But as time goes on and as this technology becomes more user friendly and more cost effective, it is possible that some of these risks will emerge."

Defense Distributed is headed by Cody Wilson, a 25-year-old law student at the University of Texas.

Mr Wilson said: "I think a lot of people weren't expecting that this could be done."

3D printing has been hailed as the future of manufacturing.

The technology works by building up layer upon layer of material - typically plastic - to build complex solid objects.

The idea is that as the printers become cheaper, instead of buying goods from shops, consumers will instead be able to download designs and print out the items at home.

But as with all new technologies, there are risks as well as benefits.

Personal liberties

The gun was made on a 3D printer that cost $8,000 (£5,140) from the online auction site eBay.

It was assembled from separate printed components made from ABS plastic - only the firing pin was made from metal.

Mr Wilson, who describes himself as a crypto-anarchist, said his plans to make the design available were "about liberty".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22421185

Wouldn't it be more prudent to focus on the anger issues and lack of responsibility that underlie the tragedies? I think we have a better chance at limiting the problems of far more than gun tragedies through helping those issues.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Replies (41-45):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Cool.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:45 PM

LMAO

Editing to say, I can't stop reading that out load to my husband and son and we are all laughing our asses off.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Thing is, they are leaving out all the other things one can build with the printer.

As for guns? Hell, can make a working one out of wood.  People have taken blocks of metal and drilled, filed and honed it into a workable shape.  They've been doing that for years.  Well fuck, people have even taken a poptart and chomped on it some and made a gun out of that and according to some, that is some scary ass shit.  One minute Popping Tarts, next Popping Caps.

AMBG825
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The first time this capability came to light - when they were printing receivers for guns with 3D printers - there was some hysteria and a call that these printers be banned. If I made a wrong assumption that this was yet another push to restrict this technology then I apologize. I do think these printers are capable of other, much cooler things, than building guns.

Would I restrict it? No more than I would your phone, or nail polish remover or bleach or even the rusty nails or styrofoam people have in their homes. All of those items are CAPABLE of causing destruction if used improperly. So really, restricting things because they are capable of being used improperly is rather asinine because we'd be restricting just about everything in our homes.

Quoting stormcris:

How would you restrict it? They reported it because it is interesting and got people to read their articles.

Quoting AMBG825:

Then what is the point of the article? If they aren't going to use this information to put restrictions in place then why bother bringing it up at all? Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it will. Just because you can use your phone to drive your car from the back seat doesn't mean it will be all the rage.

Quoting stormcris:

Who said that?

Quoting AMBG825:

Thinking that everyone who owns/buys a 3D printer is going to do so solely for the creation of guns is pretty naive. I own guns. I've even built a few guns. I love the 2nd amendment. But i want a 3D printer for things other than printing a gun.

I'm thinking model planes and rockets for my boys. 2 of them are HUGE into RC planes. The dinosaurs for my daughter's tea parties that could be made. I could even make replacement parts for all my broken gadgets around the house. The broken attachment to my steamer - the gasket on my washer. The possibilities are exciting and none of them having to do with gunmaking.

You can build a gun now. There isn't a whole lot of people rushing out to build them now. this printer isn't going to change that.

stormcris
by Christy on May. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

They do have some awesome capabilities and I may yet end up getting one :)

Quoting AMBG825:

The first time this capability came to light - when they were printing receivers for guns with 3D printers - there was some hysteria and a call that these printers be banned. If I made a wrong assumption that this was yet another push to restrict this technology then I apologize. I do think these printers are capable of other, much cooler things, than building guns.

Would I restrict it? No more than I would your phone, or nail polish remover or bleach or even the rusty nails or styrofoam people have in their homes. All of those items are CAPABLE of causing destruction if used improperly. So really, restricting things because they are capable of being used improperly is rather asinine because we'd be restricting just about everything in our homes.

Quoting stormcris:

How would you restrict it? They reported it because it is interesting and got people to read their articles.

Quoting AMBG825:

Then what is the point of the article? If they aren't going to use this information to put restrictions in place then why bother bringing it up at all? Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean that it will. Just because you can use your phone to drive your car from the back seat doesn't mean it will be all the rage.

Quoting stormcris:

Who said that?

Quoting AMBG825:

Thinking that everyone who owns/buys a 3D printer is going to do so solely for the creation of guns is pretty naive. I own guns. I've even built a few guns. I love the 2nd amendment. But i want a 3D printer for things other than printing a gun.

I'm thinking model planes and rockets for my boys. 2 of them are HUGE into RC planes. The dinosaurs for my daughter's tea parties that could be made. I could even make replacement parts for all my broken gadgets around the house. The broken attachment to my steamer - the gasket on my washer. The possibilities are exciting and none of them having to do with gunmaking.

You can build a gun now. There isn't a whole lot of people rushing out to build them now. this printer isn't going to change that.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the perspective.

Quoting stormcris:

I doubt it is because they cannot do what a mil or lathe can do and they can only do it in plastic. They can at best create reduced scale prototypes for industry. They said mass manufacturing was going to shut out hand made all together but it still hasn't. CNC mils and lathes have been doing this sort of thing for a really long time and it is part of manufacturing in America.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Here that sound?

That's the sound of the last breath of manufacturing in America.

It's been dying a slow death, but 3D printers are the final nail in the coffin.

Seriously, I'm a gun control advocate, but I think this raises far more important issues for gun manufacturers than it does for gun regulaters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)