Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Extended Prayer Session At Georgia High School?

Posted by   + Show Post

Your thoughts? 

Extended prayer at North Georgia school ignites debate

Posted: May 02, 2013 4:59 PM EDTUpdated: May 03, 2013 12:56 AM EDT
LUMPKIN COUNTY, Ga. -

Controversy is brewing in a northern Georgia community after about 50 students prayed together Wednesday morning when school officials said they should have been in class.

The spontaneous prayer at Lumpkin County High School has become the talk of the town. Lumpkin County Schools Superintendent Dewey Moye said that a student started the prayer in a coach's office at 7:30 a.m. and it lasted more than two hours. 

"It was a student-led initiative. The student showed up at the coach's office and the coach did pray with them and it went into the school day, over into the first period of the day," Moye said. 

Moye says the student who initiated the prayer is part of the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. The superintendent said that before the prayer ended, 50 students had joined in. Moye said that the students were within their rights. 

"I believe it's a Constitutional right to pray, yes I do. I believe they can do so at their desk, as long as they do not disrupt the school day," Moye said. 

Moye says he realizes what happened Wednesday cannot happen again. He admits some parents called to complain about the prayer, but he says that going forward, procedures and policies will be followed.

While he said that he will not discipline the coach and students, Moye says from now on, there will be no prayers during school hours.

One student was suspended for three days for being overly aggressive to an administrator who would not let another person join the prayer group.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (121-126):
jllcali
by Jane on May. 7, 2013 at 12:19 AM
2 moms liked this
If it was student led and not coach led, but the coach was there, why didn't he put an end to it when it cut into class time? That is wrong. If the coach doesn't respect the rules, how does anyone expect the students to?

Quoting Britty1987:

Like I said, we weren't there so we can't say that their intentions were to skip class. Even though the coach was there, we don't know how involved he was. Yes it was public school, and it was student led.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

People pray in school all the time.

It isn't about that.

It's about using a prayer session as a means to miss class.

It's about the potential that the coach was involved, since that is not legal.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I think that any extra curricular activity should have to abide by the school schedule, obviously.  That is all I have to say on it.

jllcali
by Jane on May. 7, 2013 at 12:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Sex ed does not indoctrinate.anyone to be sexually promiscuous. jeepers.

Ironically, every girl in high school (when I went) that got pregnant, were girls whose parents kept them out of sex ed "for religious reasons". Also ironically, the only kid in high school to have an STD (by her own admission in an overheard conversation) was also kept out of sex ed "for religious.reasons". I do know of several Christians who attended sex ed and did not become sexually active.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Better than sitting in sex ed where they indcotrinate you to be sexually promiscuous. ANd to think gender is a choice. If they count that as edumicational then I'd say this is much more so. :) giant eyeroll

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Student-led prayer is perfectly acceptable and within their Constitutional rights.  However, it should not go into school hours.

That said, there might have been something important happening.  If we weren't there, we don't know.  It went into the first period....once.  So what?  They skip classes for much less valuable things all the time. 

jllcali
by Jane on May. 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Actually, when I took sex ed, it covered the human reproductive system from an anatomy and physiology point of view and it covered birth control. It also heavily stressed "abstinence is the only 100% effective form of birth control and preventing STDs. It also stressed having more than one partner increases the chance of getting/spreading an STD. It didn't get into morality, because that is the responsibility of the parents.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Because I'm sure your children have given you a detailed account of their sexual history. *eyeroll*

Teaching children that you can have all the sex you want, as long as you wear a condom so you don't get pregnant or stds sounds like promiscuity to me. I truly doubt any sex ed talks about the importance of not having multiple partners. Wouldn't want to restrict those 16year olds 'sexual identity'

Maybe you should be more closed minded and try parenting your own kids, but apparently to you that's just being a 'panicky, misinformed mental midget'

Quoting lga1965:

That is ridiculous..they don't teach anyone to be "promiscuous",,etc. But if you want to believe that and continue to sound like a delusional ,panicky,misinformed mental midget, go for it. All my kids went to public school and none of them were promiscuous. They got married and have been faithful. Probably because they are very intelligent. You need to open your mind and get more education and real life experiences.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Better than sitting in sex ed where they indcotrinate you to be sexually promiscuous. ANd to think gender is a choice. If they count that as edumicational then I'd say this is much more so. :) giant eyeroll

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Agreed.

TWO hour prayer. Good lord.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Nothing wrong with prayer in school like this, but its hard to demand respect for it when you're blatantly disrespecting the school schedule.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)