Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Extended Prayer Session At Georgia High School?

Posted by   + Show Post

Your thoughts? 

Extended prayer at North Georgia school ignites debate

Posted: May 02, 2013 4:59 PM EDTUpdated: May 03, 2013 12:56 AM EDT
LUMPKIN COUNTY, Ga. -

Controversy is brewing in a northern Georgia community after about 50 students prayed together Wednesday morning when school officials said they should have been in class.

The spontaneous prayer at Lumpkin County High School has become the talk of the town. Lumpkin County Schools Superintendent Dewey Moye said that a student started the prayer in a coach's office at 7:30 a.m. and it lasted more than two hours. 

"It was a student-led initiative. The student showed up at the coach's office and the coach did pray with them and it went into the school day, over into the first period of the day," Moye said. 

Moye says the student who initiated the prayer is part of the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. The superintendent said that before the prayer ended, 50 students had joined in. Moye said that the students were within their rights. 

"I believe it's a Constitutional right to pray, yes I do. I believe they can do so at their desk, as long as they do not disrupt the school day," Moye said. 

Moye says he realizes what happened Wednesday cannot happen again. He admits some parents called to complain about the prayer, but he says that going forward, procedures and policies will be followed.

While he said that he will not discipline the coach and students, Moye says from now on, there will be no prayers during school hours.

One student was suspended for three days for being overly aggressive to an administrator who would not let another person join the prayer group.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

People pray in school all the time.

It isn't about that.

It's about using a prayer session as a means to miss class.

It's about the potential that the coach was involved, since that is not legal.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Eevn in my Catholic school this would have been considered "cutting" class.

lga1965
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM
And in May of 1986, a teen brought his Dad's gun to school to shoot the rival for his girlfriend's affection, shot and wounded others. My daughter was only about ten feet from it. A school in Fayetteville,NC. This was a religious group, prayers took place in schools and at places where people worked. I don't see prayer as helping. And I also don't see why the teen's dad allowed him to take the gun. Or why they even had a gun in the home. Obviously not an emotionally healthy family.

Quoting -Celestial-:

1980s

(U.S. Population: 226M-248M)

(Total number of schools: 113K) [67]

• March 26, 1980: Big Rapids, Michigan, Robert Brauer, Business Professor, was shot by student Thomas Kakonis, 20, at Ferris State College. Robert Brauer had failed Kakonis on an examination. Kakonis was the son of an associate dean at the college.[146]
  • March 19, 1982: Las Vegas, Nevada, 17-year-old Valley High School student Patrick Lizotte shot and killed his teacher Clarence Pigott and wounded two students.[147]
  • April 7, 1982: Littleton, Colorado, Deer Creek Jr. High School student Jason Rocha, 14, shot and killed Scott Darwin Michael, 13.[148]
  • January 20, 1983: St. Louis County, Missouri, Eighth grade Parkway South Middle School student David F. Lawler entered a study hall classroom and opened fire, killing Randall Koger, 15, and injuring Greg Saffo, 15. Lawler then committed suicide.
  • May 17, 1984: Altoona, Iowa, While students in a French class at Southeast Polk High School were taking a test in the hallway, a 17-year-old male student shot and killed a 16-year-old female student before killing himself.[149][150]
  • January 22, 1985: Goddard, Kansas, James Alan Kearbey, 14, armed with a M1-A semiautomatic rifle and a .357-caliber handgun, killed principal Joseph McGee and wounded two teachers and a student at Goddard Junior High School.[151]
  • September 4, 1985: Richmond, Virginia, A 12-year-old East End Middle School boy shot a girl with his mother's gun.[152][153]
  • October 18, 1985: Detroit, Michigan, During halftime of the homecoming football game between Northwestern High School and Murray-Wright High School, a boy who was in a fight earlier that day pulled out a shotgun and opened fire, injuring six students.[154][155]
  • November 26, 1985: Spanaway, Washington, A 14-year-old girl shot two boys fatally, then killed herself with a .22-caliber rifle at Spanaway Junior High School.[156][157][158]
  • December 10, 1985: Portland, Connecticut At Portland Junior High School, a 13-year-old male student pulled out a 9mm firearm and opened fire, injuring the school secretary and killing a custodian.[159]

According to the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, in the United States, from September 1986 to September 1990:[160]

• At least 71 people (65 students and 6 school employees) had been killed with guns at school.
  • 201 were severely wounded by gun fire.
  • 242 individuals were held hostage at gunpoint.

According to a 1987 survey conducted by the American School Health Association,[161] " 3% of the boys reported having carried a handgun to school at least once during the school year; 1% reported carrying a handgun on a daily basis."

The late 1980s began to see a major increase in school shootings, including:

• February 24, 1986: Slidell, Louisiana, 13-year-old gifted Boyet Junior High School student Matt Cooper shot himself in class with a .45-caliber pistol.[162][163]
  • May 16, 1986: Cokeville Elementary School hostage crisis, In a ransom scheme, David and Doris Young took 150 students and teachers hostage. Their demand for $300 million dollars came to an abrupt end when Doris accidentally set off a bomb, killing herself and injuring 78 students and teachers. David wounded John Miller, a teacher who was trying to flee, then killed himself.
  • December 5, 1986: Lewistown, Montana, A 14-year-old Fergus High School student shot and killed a substitute teacher and wounded a vice principal and two classmates.
  • March 2, 1987: De Kalb, Missouri Honors student Nathan Ferris, 12, killed a classmate and then himself.[164]
  • April 16, 1987: Detroit, Michigan, A ninth-grade Murray Wright High School student killed Chester Jackson, 17, and wounded Damon Matthews, 17, and Tomeka Turner, 18.[165][166]
  • December 16, 1987: Katy, TexasMayde Creek High School student Ramesh D. Tumalad, 15, shot himself to death in his Algebra class as his classmates looked on.[167]
  • May 20, 1988: Winnetka, IllinoisLaurie Dann, 30, shot and killed one elementary school student and wounded five others, then took a family hostage and shot a man before killing herself.
  • September 26, 1988: Greenwood, South Carolina, James William Wilson Jr., 19, entered Oakland Elementary School and opened fire, killing two 8-year-old girls and wounding 6 other students and 2 teachers.
  • December 16, 1988: Virginia Beach, Virginia, Nicholas Elliott, 15, opened fire with a SWD Cobray M-11 semiautomatic pistol at Atlantic Shores Christian School, killing teacher Karen Farley and wounding another.
  • January 17, 1989: Stockton, CaliforniaCleveland School massacre Patrick Edward Purdy, 26, killing five children and wounding 29 other students and a teacher. Purdy then killed himself.[168]

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygirl4326
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Horse and buggy huh? Maybe we should to cut down on pollution.

Quoting SuperChicken:

I've never heard of any shootings in schools before the invention of the automobile.  Perhaps we should go back to the horse and buggy!   

Quoting Koltie6:

We used to pray in schools and i dont remember the shootings back then. Hmmm maybe we should get back to some of that.

Britty1987
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Like I said, we weren't there so we can't say that their intentions were to skip class. Even though the coach was there, we don't know how involved he was. Yes it was public school, and it was student led.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

It isn't about that.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

Britty1987
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I just read that it was student led so I see nothing wrong with the coach's presence

Quoting Britty1987:

Like I said, we weren't there so we can't say that their intentions were to skip class. Even though the coach was there, we don't know how involved he was. Yes it was public school, and it was student led.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

It isn't about that.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting Britty1987:

I just read that it was student led so I see nothing wrong with the coach's presence

Quoting Britty1987:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

It isn't about that.

Were all the kids at your school Christian?  Was it a Christian prayer?

I ask because where I live the answer to the first question would be no, which would mean the second question would also have to be no.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

So by that reckoning, you can go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and miss all classes because of "religious reasons".

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

This is going to look great on their college applications.  If they're planning to apply to Bob Jones or Liberty.  Otherwise, go to class with everybody else.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)