Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extended Prayer Session At Georgia High School?

Posted by   + Show Post

Your thoughts? 

Extended prayer at North Georgia school ignites debate

Posted: May 02, 2013 4:59 PM EDTUpdated: May 03, 2013 12:56 AM EDT
LUMPKIN COUNTY, Ga. -

Controversy is brewing in a northern Georgia community after about 50 students prayed together Wednesday morning when school officials said they should have been in class.

The spontaneous prayer at Lumpkin County High School has become the talk of the town. Lumpkin County Schools Superintendent Dewey Moye said that a student started the prayer in a coach's office at 7:30 a.m. and it lasted more than two hours. 

"It was a student-led initiative. The student showed up at the coach's office and the coach did pray with them and it went into the school day, over into the first period of the day," Moye said. 

Moye says the student who initiated the prayer is part of the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. The superintendent said that before the prayer ended, 50 students had joined in. Moye said that the students were within their rights. 

"I believe it's a Constitutional right to pray, yes I do. I believe they can do so at their desk, as long as they do not disrupt the school day," Moye said. 

Moye says he realizes what happened Wednesday cannot happen again. He admits some parents called to complain about the prayer, but he says that going forward, procedures and policies will be followed.

While he said that he will not discipline the coach and students, Moye says from now on, there will be no prayers during school hours.

One student was suspended for three days for being overly aggressive to an administrator who would not let another person join the prayer group.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

People pray in school all the time.

It isn't about that.

It's about using a prayer session as a means to miss class.

It's about the potential that the coach was involved, since that is not legal.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

It is perfectly legal for the coach to pray with them.  He did not initiate the prayer and did not lead it..a student did.  If the coach had initiated it he would have still been okay to do so...this was a meeting of the FCA...Fellowship of Christian Athletes...a school organization that most certainly has a teacher/administrative sponsor.

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion...practiced by willing participants.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

We need to face the fact that there is still a great divide between the North and the South in this country.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

People pray in school all the time.

It isn't about that.

It's about using a prayer session as a means to miss class.

It's about the potential that the coach was involved, since that is not legal.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

It is perfectly legal for the coach to pray with them.  He did not initiate the prayer and did not lead it..a student did.  If the coach had initiated it he would have still been okay to do so...this was a meeting of the FCA...Fellowship of Christian Athletes...a school organization that most certainly has a teacher/administrative sponsor.

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion...practiced by willing participants.

There was a case in NJ (in my town, as a matter of fact) that says what you say here is not true.

The coach was taking a knee with his team at the Friday night football team dinner.  Both players and cheerleaders would attend this weekly pre-game dinner.  Cheerleaders complained to administrators ,and the coach was asked to refrain.  He refused and a lawsuit was filed.  

The coach lost, he was not permitted to take the knee.

I think people who think that the prayer session was more important than class are nuts.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

So by that reckoning, you can go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and miss all classes because of "religious reasons".

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Quoting Koltie6:

We used to pray in schools and i dont remember the shootings back then. Hmmm maybe we should get back to some of that.

Google Bath School Massacre.

Good gravy, the ignorance. Hmm... maybe we should get back to children working in mines. I don't remember that children died from cancer back then.

Hmm.. Maybe we should not allow women to vote. I don't remember women dying during childbirth back then.

Hmm.. Maybe we should stop eating so many vegetables and go back to eating meat and potatoes at every meal. I don't remember people having out-of-wedlock births back then.

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Why does a prayer take two hours? That's more like a service, imo.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no problems with the FCA leading a prayer and people joining in, even if it is during school. However, it should not disrupt them being on time to class. The school can't make exceptions to that policy. They need to follow the rules. I think the admin handled it appropriately for a first time offense. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

So by that reckoning, you can go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and miss all classes because of "religious reasons".

I suppose you could if you could back it up with the doctrine of your faith.  I have taken my kids out for Catholic services.  The day services are easier to get seating for.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I suppose you could if you could back it up with the doctrine of your faith.  I have taken my kids out for Catholic services.  The day services are easier to get seating for.

I find the idea that people think praying is more important than classes insane.

No wonder we are so screwed.

jeweldragons
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jeweldragons:

Isn't GA part of the Bible Belt? Why would they have an issue with this?  I get the whole separation of church and state but I see nothing wrong with kids praying in school as long as they aren't led by teachers and do it of their own free will.

So if your kid decides to go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and skip all their classes that is OK with you?

Missing a full day of classes won't kill anybody.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured