Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Extended Prayer Session At Georgia High School?

Posted by   + Show Post

Your thoughts? 

Extended prayer at North Georgia school ignites debate

Posted: May 02, 2013 4:59 PM EDTUpdated: May 03, 2013 12:56 AM EDT
LUMPKIN COUNTY, Ga. -

Controversy is brewing in a northern Georgia community after about 50 students prayed together Wednesday morning when school officials said they should have been in class.

The spontaneous prayer at Lumpkin County High School has become the talk of the town. Lumpkin County Schools Superintendent Dewey Moye said that a student started the prayer in a coach's office at 7:30 a.m. and it lasted more than two hours. 

"It was a student-led initiative. The student showed up at the coach's office and the coach did pray with them and it went into the school day, over into the first period of the day," Moye said. 

Moye says the student who initiated the prayer is part of the school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter. The superintendent said that before the prayer ended, 50 students had joined in. Moye said that the students were within their rights. 

"I believe it's a Constitutional right to pray, yes I do. I believe they can do so at their desk, as long as they do not disrupt the school day," Moye said. 

Moye says he realizes what happened Wednesday cannot happen again. He admits some parents called to complain about the prayer, but he says that going forward, procedures and policies will be followed.

While he said that he will not discipline the coach and students, Moye says from now on, there will be no prayers during school hours.

One student was suspended for three days for being overly aggressive to an administrator who would not let another person join the prayer group.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jeweldragons:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jeweldragons:

Isn't GA part of the Bible Belt? Why would they have an issue with this?  I get the whole separation of church and state but I see nothing wrong with kids praying in school as long as they aren't led by teachers and do it of their own free will.

So if your kid decides to go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and skip all their classes that is OK with you?

Missing a full day of classes won't kill anybody.

Totally repugnant opinion IMO.

Speechless over the people who think that praying is more important than schooling.

We are so screwed.

Britty1987
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Just curious, but why would it matter? The majority in the school are of a Christian faith, but not all. Each student had a chance to pray out loud in their own way if they desired.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I just read that it was student led so I see nothing wrong with the coach's presence

Quoting Britty1987:

Like I said, we weren't there so we can't say that their intentions were to skip class. Even though the coach was there, we don't know how involved he was. Yes it was public school, and it was student led.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

People pray in school all the time.

It isn't about that.

It's about using a prayer session as a means to miss class.

It's about the potential that the coach was involved, since that is not legal.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

Were all the kids at your school Christian?  Was it a Christian prayer?

I ask because where I live the answer to the first question would be no, which would mean the second question would also have to be no.

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Quoting Britty1987:

Just curious, but why would it matter? The majority in the school are of a Christian faith, but not all. Each student had a chance to pray out loud in their own way if they desired.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I just read that it was student led so I see nothing wrong with the coach's presence

Quoting Britty1987:

Like I said, we weren't there so we can't say that their intentions were to skip class. Even though the coach was there, we don't know how involved he was. Yes it was public school, and it was student led.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

I wasn't there so I can't say whether they intended to skip class or intentions were sincere. Sometimes when the Spirit moves you just can't put a time frame on things. We prayed during school on 9/11 so I see nothing wrong with it under certain circumstances.

It isn't about that.

When you say you prayed in school on 9/11, was that teacher or administrator led and was it in a public school?

If so, it was wrong, even if it made you all feel better at the time.  There is never a good reason for teacher or administrator led prayer in public school, especially when you can do it without being led as such.

Were all the kids at your school Christian?  Was it a Christian prayer?

I ask because where I live the answer to the first question would be no, which would mean the second question would also have to be no.

It matters because non-Christians shouldn't be subject to Christian prayers in a public school.

Same as Christians shouldn't be subject to pagan stuff, or Muslim prayers etc.

Religion mixing with public school is abhorrent.  

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

People miss class for a lot of reasons. Religous holidays, family vacations, sporting activities, extra curricular clubs, just taking a day off etc. As long as they are performing in class there is no issue. It's not a bad thing to miss school every so often. If my girls haven't missed days for being sick or what have you I always allow them a skip day to do something fun. It hasn't had a negative affect on them at all. In fact, just the opposite. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

So by that reckoning, you can go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and miss all classes because of "religious reasons".

I suppose you could if you could back it up with the doctrine of your faith.  I have taken my kids out for Catholic services.  The day services are easier to get seating for.

I find the idea that people think praying is more important than classes insane.

No wonder we are so screwed.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Britty1987:

It isn't about that.

It is perfectly legal for the coach to pray with them.  He did not initiate the prayer and did not lead it..a student did.  If the coach had initiated it he would have still been okay to do so...this was a meeting of the FCA...Fellowship of Christian Athletes...a school organization that most certainly has a teacher/administrative sponsor.

Freedom of speech and freedom of religion...practiced by willing participants.

There was a case in NJ (in my town, as a matter of fact) that says what you say here is not true.

The coach was taking a knee with his team at the Friday night football team dinner.  Both players and cheerleaders would attend this weekly pre-game dinner.  Cheerleaders complained to administrators ,and the coach was asked to refrain.  He refused and a lawsuit was filed.  

The coach lost, he was not permitted to take the knee.

I think people who think that the prayer session was more important than class are nuts.

So New Jersey makes the rules for everyone?  I guess you missed the case in Texas where the cheerleaders are allowed put Bible verses on their banners.

My kids coaches pray with them before games.  My younger son's principal opens every assembly with a prayer and the pledge....ditto for the junior high and high school band directors.

Oh and the coach should appeal...his freedom of speech was violated.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids got school holidays for Mardi Gras.
romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

People miss class for a lot of reasons. Religous holidays, family vacations, sporting activities, extra curricular clubs, just taking a day off etc. As long as they are performing in class there is no issue. It's not a bad thing to miss school every so often. If my girls haven't missed days for being sick or what have you I always allow them a skip day to do something fun. It hasn't had a negative affect on them at all. In fact, just the opposite. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

The only problem I have is with them missing class because of it.  But, that may not even be an issue.  In all of the states we have lived in absences and tardies are excused when they were because of religious reasons.

So by that reckoning, you can go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and miss all classes because of "religious reasons".

I suppose you could if you could back it up with the doctrine of your faith.  I have taken my kids out for Catholic services.  The day services are easier to get seating for.

I find the idea that people think praying is more important than classes insane.

I stand by my statement.

AlekD
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM

They only missed part of one class. I was late to classes occasionally in school and it never made national headlines, and yeah I still got good grades. They didn't "skip" class. They went a little late and missed the first few minutes of class. Obviously the issue for you isn't that they missed a few minutes of class, it's that they were praying. the only possible way I could see a problem with this is if the coach orchestrated it and people who didn't want to pray were expected to. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jeweldragons:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jeweldragons:

Isn't GA part of the Bible Belt? Why would they have an issue with this?  I get the whole separation of church and state but I see nothing wrong with kids praying in school as long as they aren't led by teachers and do it of their own free will.

So if your kid decides to go to school and sit in a room and pray all day and skip all their classes that is OK with you?

Missing a full day of classes won't kill anybody.

Totally repugnant opinion IMO.

Speechless over the people who think that praying is more important than schooling.

We are so screwed.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So you think our high school shouldn't have a place where a handful of Islamic students go to pray everyday?

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Yeah, actually you can put a timeframe on it.  My high school science teacher was a pastor's wife of a large church that a lot of students attended.  She opened her classroom early every morning so students could pray before school.  On occasion, they would keep going after the bell and the students who had class in there would complain.  But 98% of the time, they wrapped it up when the first bell rang.

Quoting Britty1987:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN