Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Scary Facts?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
  • 80 Replies

SCARY FACT: 3 Out Of 4 Fast Food Workers Have-

-been forced to work while sick AND never gotten a raise. Can you imagine living like that? Learn more from the charts below. Then get angry.

-been forced to work while sick AND never gotten a raise. Can you imagine living like that? Learn more from the charts below. Then get angry.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why people strive for something more... find a way to go to college or a trade school, find a specialty, and work towards a better career that pays more.  Is it an easy task?  Not necessarily, but it can be accomplished.

Of course, the jobs situation in this country is an issue as well and certainly needs to be addressed. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
3 moms liked this

This is why disease spreads so quickly. No one should be working in a business where food is prepared if they are ill. That's just nasty. 

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM
9 moms liked this
The problem I have with this line of thinking is this...should people strive for better? Of course...but there are only so many 'good' jobs out there...not everyone, for a myriad of reasons, is able to get a great job...we will always need people on the bottom of our totem pole...why can't we start focusing on bettering those situations? People just condemn, excuse or ignore these people. They are the backbone of many industries in this country and that's a reality that many choose not to face? Why not? Why are they somehow 'lesser' people who don't deserve better?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

This is why people strive for something more... find a way to go to college or a trade school, find a specialty, and work towards a better career that pays more.  Is it an easy task?  Not necessarily, but it can be accomplished.

Of course, the jobs situation in this country is an issue as well and certainly needs to be addressed. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It's also reality. If you have no sick leave, desperately need that paycheck and have an employer who doesn't care, you go to work.

Quoting cjsbmom:

This is why disease spreads so quickly. No one should be working in a business where food is prepared if they are ill. That's just nasty. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I don't think they are "lesser" people or that they don't deserve better. Of course there is a need for these occupations. If someone takes a job like this, I should hope that they do strive for something better if their need is greater than what that job can provide for them, or for their families if they have one.
Quoting LucyMom08:

The problem I have with this line of thinking is this...should people strive for better? Of course...but there are only so many 'good' jobs out there...not everyone, for a myriad of reasons, is able to get a great job...we will always need people on the bottom of our totem pole...why can't we start focusing on bettering those situations? People just condemn, excuse or ignore these people. They are the backbone of many industries in this country and that's a reality that many choose not to face? Why not? Why are they somehow 'lesser' people who don't deserve better?

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I would hope so too, but the reality is, that for millions of Americans, this *is* the best they can do...for whatever reason...and they are looked down on or ignored...and told things like 'it's their fault' or 'oh well'...all while those elected to help them are shitting on them...and their fellow citizens forget them and begrudge them any little bit if help they may receive...

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I don't think they are "lesser" people or that they don't deserve better. Of course there is a need for these occupations. If someone takes a job like this, I should hope that they do strive for something better if their need is greater than what that job can provide for them, or for their families if they have one.

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't blame the worker, I blame the restaurant. I've also left restaurants when I've seen people working there sick and do not return. And I am sure to tell management why I am no longer going to patronize their establishment. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

It's also reality. If you have no sick leave, desperately need that paycheck and have an employer who doesn't care, you go to work.

Quoting cjsbmom:

coronado25
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

This ain't news to me. 

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Unfortunately in today's 'corporations are people' age, this tends to make it worse for the employees :(

The situation won't change as long as the people in charge don't care, so the workers are the ones who get punished...

Quoting cjsbmom:

I don't blame the worker, I blame the restaurant. I've also left restaurants when I've seen people working there sick and do not return. And I am sure to tell management why I am no longer going to patronize their establishment. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

There are over 250 food born illnesses / deceases due to cross contamination.  It's not just the cold or flue from employees we need to worry about in a food related business.  Owners of these establishments need to hold themselves accountable for requiring an obviously ill employee to remain at work.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)