Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Would you be upset if someone taught your kids about sex without your knowledge?

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 33 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be mad if someone taught your kids about sex without your permission?

Options:

YES!

No

Other - Please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 35

View Results

Recently a few of the teachers at my kids' school have discussed bringing in a sex education course and offering it to 7th graders and up at the school. One of the teachers said that she didn't think anyone would be in it except a handful of kids because so many of the parents were uptight about that and that they should instead offer sex education as part of the mandatory Health class everyone has to take. She said offering it under Health would mean they didn't have to ask permission and the kids would get the info they need.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

We had sex ed when I was in school, and it started in fourth grade. It was age-appropriate material that advanced as we got older. It was always taught as part of health class and the school didn't need permission. 

Teaching children about their bodies isn't a bad thing, so long as there is no agenda behind it. 

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Nope

My kids have been in sex ed with me since birth.

This is not a topic of concern for me.

OrangeBalloon
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I will be discussing sex with my dd long before my dd has it taught to her in middle school. So, I'm personally not worried about it. However, sex education has always been taught as part of health classes from my state. Young people do need to understand their bodies and why they work the way they do.

Really and truly schools are damned if they do, and damned if they don't these days. Parents complain that schools are not teaching enough, then another set of parents will turn right around and say that a school is overstepping and teaching too much. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on May. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I think its a good thing, they cover so much more that what many parents even think about, or are too uncomfortable to rationally discuss with their kids. They're going to all find out about all this stuff eventually, if its in the classroom at least it will be age appropriate and truthful information. Plus kids are more likely to ask weird questions when they can write them anonymously and pass them to the teacher.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Yes I most certainly would.I do not care if anyone wanted to describe me as 'uptight' or whatever else.As the parent I have every right to know exactly what my child is being taught.My kids school sends permission slips home before hand because that is what respectful adults do.

SP_Mama
by on May. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM

By 7th grade, they should know about sex from home.  No, I wouldn't be upset if someone taught them about it because they will already know. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I think Sex Ed in school is a great idea and I have no problem with it. My girls and I have many conversations on the topic.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Not at that age, no, I wouldn't be upset.  I think it would be beneficial to the kids whose parents do not discuss subjects like sex with them.  These kids are going to learn about it, whether it's from parents, schools, or their peers.  It would be better if they had the correct information and understanding of pregnancy and the risk of STD's rather than possible misnomers from their peers or media.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
This exactly. My 9 year old knows about sex, I would hope by 7th grade everybody knew and if they don't, then the school will have to step up and do the parents' job.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

Not at that age, no, I wouldn't be upset.  I think it would be beneficial to the kids whose parents do not discuss subjects like sex with them.  These kids are going to learn about it, whether it's from parents, schools, or their peers.  It would be better if they had the correct information and understanding of pregnancy and the risk of STD's whether than possible misnomers from their peers or media.

JCB911
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this

We are homeschoolers - but if our kids went to school I'd want to know, and would want to be given the information regarding what they will be learning this year - in all subjects.  In the next year what will you be covering in math, what social studies topics will be discussed, science etc. 

I know how I was as a kid.  Came home from school, ate supper as a family and parents ask "So what did you do in school today?" and my sister and I reply (as most students) "Nothing", or we tell a story about the playground. 

Why would a school think it wrong that parents want to be informed. Other than the fact that it might take teachers a bit of effort to write up a quick outline of what would be discussed.

Ideally when you register your kids you'd get a sheet, just an outline, of what to expect the next year, and a number to call (or email) if you have any questions about any of the subject.

In regards to this post - the teachers know the parents won't like it and instead of being open and honest (as one should be when dealing witho other peoples' kids) they are trying to hide it so they can do what THEY think is right, as though they are the authority over these kids rather than the parents.

(When I was a kid, we discussed reproduction in 7th grade. parents were informed and were allowed to opt out if they so choose. One family always opted out, all the rest took the class.)

Quoting tnmomofive:

Yes I most certainly would.I do not care if anyone wanted to describe me as 'uptight' or whatever else.As the parent I have every right to know exactly what my child is being taught.My kids school sends permission slips home before hand because that is what respectful adults do.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN