Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seattle's May heat about to shatter all sorts of records

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 35 Replies

Just to rub it in a little.  :)

Seattle's Space Needle with mountains in the distant background on May 5, 2013. (Photo: Scott Wood Photography)

Not since the country of Slovakia adopted the euro as its official form of currency has Seattle been this warm in May, and the continued warmth and sunshine is set to break a number of records that have stood for decades and, in some cases, centuries. 

Seattle hit a balmy high of 84 degrees on Sunday -- the first day over 80 degrees day in May since 2009 (back before most cell phones had 4G!). It was even warmer on the coast as warm easterly winds that got a temperature boost from the Olympic Mountains sent highs into the mid-upper 80s, with Forks hitting 88. 

Yet while the coast was one and done (down in the upper 50s Monday, thanks to marine clouds) Seattle and the Puget Sound area were basking in another day that was expected to reach well into the 80s, courtesy of a thermal trough that will keep the warm east winds going through Monday. Seattle's record high for Monday is 79 degrees, set in 1957 and will likely be broken by the end of lunchtime.

(In fact, Seattle was already at 74 degrees at 11 a.m. Monday, warmer than this impressive list of sun cities:  Orlando, Los Angeles, Houston, San Diego, Las Vegas, Atlanta, and Dallas!)

Never before has the city gone its first 9 days in May with highs at 65 degrees or warmer and zero in the rain gauge. Sure, Monday's only Day 6, but there is nothing to suggest this streak won't hold past the 9th. In fact, it could hold all the way into the 10th-12th. (The record is 8 days for 65+ degree highsto begin May, set in 1945, and three-way tie for 8 days for zero rain set in 1907, 1910, 1935 and 1945.) 

And it's in stark contrast to last year when May began with its first five days at 56 degrees or colder, and in 2011 when it didn't get warmer than 65 until May 14. In fact, in 2011, we didn't get our first 80degree day until July 2, and in 2010, it waited until July 7th! 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on May. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

All I can think when reading this is I am cold.

Peanutx3
by on May. 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM
2 moms liked this

You know us Seattlites need to rub it in when it is hot here and cold everywhere else.  :)  I am loving this weather.  I sat outside for lunch today.

Quoting stormcris:

romalove
by Roma on May. 6, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I am still waiting for real warm.

It's probably 60 here today, and still feels chilly.

I am tired of chilly.

I'm glad you have warm.  :-)

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on May. 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

*peeks head in* It's been in the 80s with lows in the upper 40s to 50s for the past few weeks here.

*runs out cackling*

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This is so backwards...I live in coastal GA, and the average temp this week has been in the 60's...in May! It's supposed to be in the 50's tonight...

Della529
by Matlock on May. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We're supposed to be in the high 40's Thursday morning....YAY!

But then it'll go right back to hot and humid again...BOO!

Enjoy, Peanut!

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Isn't it glorious Peanut? I'm on the patio in my bikini right now soaking in the rays!!!

sun

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I wish it would warm up here. I'm sick of wearing a damn jacket when it's freaking MAY!

Elyssa414
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I know! It's been amazing. I love not holding an umbrella over my toddler at the older boy's soccer games!

Quoting Peanutx3:

You know us Seattlites need to rub it in when it is hot here and cold everywhere else.  :)  I am loving this weather.  I sat outside for lunch today.

Quoting stormcris:

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

And it has been cooler than usual in TX. What a strange year for weather

BabyFruit Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured