Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus & Michelle Knight... kidnapped 10+ years ago... FOUND

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/22175803/breaking-woman-claiming-to-missing-woman-amanda-berry-calls-cleveland-police

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

A woman claiming to be Amanda Berry called Cleveland Police Monday afternoon.

• Search for Amanda Berry

Amanda Berry Search

• She also told the 911 dispatcher that Gina DeJesus is with her.  A third woman was also with Berry and DeJesus.

Cleveland Police have arrested a 52 year old man at the house where the three women were found.

19 Action News as several crews headed that way as well.

Check back later for more details.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

BREAKING: Amanda Berry, calls CPD, she and Gina DeJesus are ALIVE; Man arrested

A third missing woman, 32-year old Michelle Knight, was in the home with Berry and DeJesus. It's believed Knight disappeared when she was 20.

At least one of the women has a baby.

One witness says he saw Amanda Berry come running out of the house kicking and screaming "Help me!" She was carrying a baby in her arms.

Cleveland Police have arrested a 52 year old man at the house where the three women were found.

19 Action News is on the scene speaking with family members and witnesses.

More info: 

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

Cleveland Police confirms that three missing girls were located in a house on Seymour Avenue Monday afternoon.

All three women, Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michele Knight, seem to be in good health.

"I can't wait to talk to her, I can't wait to hold her, to see her," said Gale Mitchell, Amanda's aunt.  

According to police a woman claiming to beAmanda Berry called 911 Monday. She said she was kidnapped 10 years ago and said she is currently at a home at 2210 Seymour.

She also told the dispatcher that Gina DeJesus was with her. 

A third missing woman, 32-year old Michelle Knight, was in the home with Berry and DeJesus. It's believed Knight disappeared in 2000.

One witness says he saw Amanda Berry come running out of the house kicking and screaming "Help me!" She was carrying a baby in her arms.

Amanda was one day shy of her 17th birthday when she went missing on her way home to her birthday party. She disappeared on April 21, 2003 after leaving her job at Burger King at West 110th Street and Lorain Avenue.

Amanda's mother, Louwana, died at age 43 in March of 2006 after years of searching for her daughter. Many say Louwana died of a broken heart.

In July 2012, the FBI received a tip that Amanda's body was buried in an area at West 30th between Wade and Seymour -- right around the corner from where they were found Monday. A backhoe was used to dig about six feet down, searching for anything that could be linked to Amanda.

Reporter Ed Gallek learned prison inmate Robert Wolford, who was convicted of murdering a homeless man, wrote letters to law enforcement telling them he knows where Amanda's body is.

Wolford was driven up from Lucasville and showed officers where they could find Amanda's body. He passed a polygraph during the investigation before the search for Amanda's remains began.

Of course, officials didn't find anything, but were glad they checked the tip out. 

Cleveland Police arrested 52-year-old Ariel Castro at the house where the three women were found Monday. He is a Cleveland City Schools bus driver.

Gale Mitchell said she never gave up hope and that she felt Amanda was alive.

"You never give up. You just pray and pray and pray," said Gale. "It's crazy. I always knew that Amanda was a strong-willed person and eventually I knew she would get out of there. I just knew it. I just wondered 'Why not sooner?'"

Nancy Ruiz, Gina DeJesus' mom told 19 Action News reporter Lydia Esparrathat they are going to take a least 24 hours to connect with their daughter. After that they will talk to the media Tuesday.

Gina DeJesus disappeared in 2004 at the age of 14. She was walking home from school when she vanished. At the time of her disappearance family members believed she was taken by human traffickers.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

CLEVELAND - Three brothers were in custody Monday night in connection with the kidnapping of three Cleveland women.

All three are Hispanic males, ages 50, 52 and 54, police said. At this time, officers said a search warrant was being executed at 2210 Seymour Avenue. Charges are expected to be filed within the next 36 hours.

"At this time, suspect information regarding the missing persons investigation will not be released. The Cleveland Division of Police remains committed to the thorough investigation of these cases," police posted online late Monday night.

Cleveland Police Deputy Chief Ed Tomba said that the FBI was at the scene on Seymour Avenue assisting with canvassing and interviews. He said statements were made that led officers to arrest the men.

The house at 2207 Seymour will be an active crime scene for the next couple of days, police said.

The missing women have been interviewed. They are in good health and sound mind. Police said it seemed like they have been at the Seymour location the entire time.

“It's a great day,” Tomba said, talking about the officers who went in to find the girls. "It’s a blessing to the community."

Police will hold a briefing at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the Emergency Operations center on St. Clair Ave.

Amanda Berry told a 911 dispatcher Monday that the man who kidnapped her is Ariel Castro.

Castro, 52, owns the 2207 Seymour Avenue home in Cleveland, where three women were found 10 years after they disappeared.

NewsChannel5 Investigators found that Castro was arrested in Decemeber 1993 for domestic violence. That case was later dismissed.

Castro was also arrested in December 1993 for disorderly conduct. He plead guilty to the charge.

NewsChannel5 Investigators also found Castro was stopped six times by Cleveland Police between 1995 and 2008 for traffic violations.

A representative with the Cleveland Metropolitan School District said that a man named Ariel Castro used to work as a bus driver for the district. However, spokesperson Roseann Canfora could not confirm Castro was the same Castro who was named by Berry.

The district is expected to release a statement and have more information on Castro Tuesday morning.

newsnet5.com will continue to update this story with new developments. Download our app or refresh this page for updates.

UPDATE 5/7/2013

CLEVELAND - Authorities in Cleveland say the nightmare for Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight is over and prayers have been answered. 

At a Tuesday morning news conference, authorities gave more detailed information about the case, their investigation and the women. Still, many more questions remain.

“We’re happy that they have returned to us, but their absence for several years has plagued their families, Cleveland police and so many others," said Mayor Frank Jackson. "We have several unanswered questions: why and how they were taken and why they remained undetected in Cleveland this period of time." 

A source told reporter Paul Kiska that chains and bondage were found in basement of the Seymour Avenue home where Knight, Berry and DeJesus were held captive and that the victims were, at times, tied up with chains and tape. But authorities could not confirm if the women were forced into sex slavery.

The question arose after Berry was seen carrying a young girl, who authorities believe to be her daughter, when rescued from the house of horrors early Monday night by a neighbor. Police said only the women will be able to tell them what has happened inside that house for the past 10 years. They could not confirm how the baby would have been born. 

Castro brothers arrested, named 

Cleveland police also released the names of the three Castro brothers arrested in connection to the abduction as Ariel, Pedro and Oneil. All three are awaiting charges and are in their early 50s. 

According to Cleveland's safety director, there were no building or housing violations at the Seymour Avenue house and EMS was never called to the address. However, records show Cleveland police responded twice to home in 2000 and 2004. 

Cleveland chief deputy Ed Tomba said Ariel Castro was interviewed extensively in 2004 regarding an incident when he was a school bus driver. Tomba said Castro either intentionally or inadvertently left a young boy on his bus. The incident was ruled accidental. 

That spawned the question if Castro used his position as a school bus driver to gain access to the then young girls. Tomba said the answer remains unknown. 

"Every single lead was followed up on, no matter how small. We dug up yards, we canvassed neighborhoods and we participated in vigils. The real hero here is Amanda," Tomba said. 

A neighbor told reporter Kristin Volk that they never saw Ariel Castro come out of the front door of the Seymour Avenue home and that he always used the back door. 

An uncle of DeJesus told our reporter Kristin Byrne that he's "angry" because he knew Ariel Castro. Details of their relationship are not known. 

Police said they will search other properties owned by Castro. 

The nightmare is over 

Cleveland FBI special agent in charge Stephen Anthony said for the women’s families, prayers have been answered. The nightmare is over. 

"These ladies are the ultimate definition of perseverance and hope. Everyone kept the faith believing one day, they’d see their daughters, nieces, sisters alive again." 

Anthony said every resource will be used to investigate the case and bring full justice. 

“In the coming days and weeks, we will track events over the past several years. Much of the effort will focus on (the women): how can we in law enforcement help speed healing and the recovery process and treat them with the dignity and respect they deserve…their families too, with comfort, advice and information to help with this process," said Anthony.

“What these young girls went through, and if you saw them (Monday) night, you’d have nothing but compassion and love in your heart,” Tomba said. 

If you have information about a missing person, you can anonymously call the FBI at (216) 522-1400. 

Timeline of finding abducted women 

Cleveland Public Safety Director Martin Flask said the first call came in from a neighbor at 5:52 p.m. Monday. The next 911 call for help came from Amanda Berry seconds later. Flask said officers were at the Seymour Avenue scene two minutes after the calls for help and in less than five minutes, officers were able to identify DeJesus and Berry. One minute after that, they found Michelle Knight. 

"To find these three girls recovered well, gives us a boost," said police chief Mike McGrath. 

Michelle Knight was the first woman reported missing, last seen Aug. 22, 2002. Amanda Berry went missing months later on April 21, 2003 and Gina DeJesus was taken on April 2, 2004. 

The least is known about Knight's disappearance. As McGrath said, her age, 20 years old when she disappeared, may have been the reason for fewer tips. She was abducted from West 106th Street and Lorain Avenue. A missing person report was made the following day by a family member, authorities said. 

"Due to Amanda’s brave actions, these three women are alive today," said McGrath. 

Now the women and their families can begin to heal.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/Nightmare-over-for-abducted-Cleveland-women-found-alive-Gina-DeJesus-Amanda-Berry-Michelle-Knight#ixzz2ScrEEGji
    by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM
    Edited by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    Replies (81-88):
    TheLadyAmalthea
    by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Take the men out and string them up. They are a waste of space. 

Aislinn
    by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

This is nothing short of amazing. I am so happy for their families and I hope they are able to rejoin society successfully.

Carpy
    by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    The article says their nightmare is over. I don't think it will ever be over.

Quoting lancet98:

The people who do this really mess with these girl's brains.   These girls will need a lot of counseling to get over this.   There's  a lot of shame and guilt and anger, and it's hard to trust again.

They are incredibly bad people.

Quoting NWP:

Wow...Anderson Cooper has this on. Looks like the girls were forced into a sexual slavery position not far from their homes all this time being held hostage.

1Giovanni
    by Becca on May. 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I am so happy they have been found. But I really don't the nightmare is over. Just because they are not living in it anymore does not mean it is over at least in their minds. I sure hope it will be able to cop with life  soon, with love and support from family and friends.

Carpy
    by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    I know my first name is Steven. Steven died in a high speed car wreck.

Quoting LauraKW:

I was wondering that as well. Reminds me of the boys that were rescued from a similar situation several years ago. The older boy said he wanted to spare the younger boy from going through what he did. I'm very much paraphrasing.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

True but I am missing something.  Does anyone have the back story?  If they got out now, how did it happen and why not earlier?

Quoting LauraKW:

Eventually, locking up a prisoner may not be needed.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Does anyone know how he was able to keep them locked up?

lancet98
    by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM
    1 mom liked this

Sometimes the best revenge, is living well.

Quoting Carpy:

The article says their nightmare is over. I don't think it will ever be over.

Quoting lancet98:

The people who do this really mess with these girl's brains.   These girls will need a lot of counseling to get over this.   There's  a lot of shame and guilt and anger, and it's hard to trust again.

They are incredibly bad people.

Quoting NWP:

Wow...Anderson Cooper has this on. Looks like the girls were forced into a sexual slavery position not far from their homes all this time being held hostage.

LauraKW
    by "Dude!" on May. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    I didn't know that. How tragic. Do you remember Shawn Hornbeck, the one they found in Missouri (I think)? I think his family keeps him out of the media.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting LauraKW:

I was wondering that as well. Reminds me of the boys that were rescued from a similar situation several years ago. The older boy said he wanted to spare the younger boy from going through what he did. I'm very much paraphrasing.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

True but I am missing something.  Does anyone have the back story?  If they got out now, how did it happen and why not earlier?

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Carpy
    by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    yep, I do.

Quoting LauraKW:

I didn't know that. How tragic. Do you remember Shawn Hornbeck, the one they found in Missouri (I think)? I think his family keeps him out of the media.

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)