Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sportsmanship SO of would you take your child and leave

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM
  • 13 Replies
Reading the post about the mom who took her son from a game made me think of our T-ball situation last year. Jericho was 5 and loving T-ball. He hurt his hand and had to be out a couple games. Even though he could not play I still took him to practice and the games to cheer his teammates on. The other moms thought it was so neat that I had him come even though he couldn't play. I just did it because when you are part of a team you go to every game rather you play or not. I never played team sports as a kid so I don't know for sure...but that feels like the right thing to me. What do you think????

by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 7, 2013 at 5:12 AM

Its a nice thing to do :-)  

But I would not hold it against someone if they chose to stay home.

My son broke his collar bone last year and he stayed home some games and came the other games.  I have three others playing so he tagged along and cheered or he didnt ...it does not bother me.  To be honest if I only had him in sport...I would of stayed home, and Ive played team sports all my life and had all my kids in team sports most of their childhood.

romalove
by Roma on May. 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM

My daughter was an all star cheerleader for seven years.  If a girl was hurt she was expected to attend every practice and every competition, even if she was sitting on the sidelines.  She is part of the team regardless, and expected to be there with her team helping in whatever capacity possible -- even if it means sitting there and cheering on the others.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I agree with you. My kids joined all sorts of activities, and the rule was, they had to stay with it until completion, even if they thought they didn't like it after awhile....the team/group relied on their presense.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I would not hold it against someone. I just did what I thought was right.
Quoting turtle68:

Its a nice thing to do :-)  

But I would not hold it against someone if they chose to stay home.

My son broke his collar bone last year and he stayed home some games and came the other games.  I have three others playing so he tagged along and cheered or he didnt ...it does not bother me.  To be honest if I only had him in sport...I would of stayed home, and Ive played team sports all my life and had all my kids in team sports most of their childhood.

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Just curious was this your rule, the teams rule or both???
Quoting romalove:

My daughter was an all star cheerleader for seven years.  If a girl was hurt she was expected to attend every practice and every competition, even if she was sitting on the sidelines.  She is part of the team regardless, and expected to be there with her team helping in whatever capacity possible -- even if it means sitting there and cheering on the others.

romalove
by Roma on May. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

Just curious was this your rule, the teams rule or both???
Quoting romalove:

It was the gym's rule.  I thought it was a good one.  The girls who are sidelined can still see if they make changes to the routine and are part of the team at all times.

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My daughter sprained her finger at the end of the first game of a double header the other day.  We stayed through the second game, even though she couldn't play it.  If I thought it was broken, we would have left.  But, after a little first aid, she was good.  A few years ago, my son broke his wrist in baseball.  He was out for the remainder of the season.  He still went to some of the games, but I didn't make him go to all of them, because there was no chance of his returning that year and he was still kind of young.  If he was older at the time, I probably would have had him go to all the games.  Usually around here, when a kid is injured, they don't suit up, but they still go to the games. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 11:14 AM

That is absolutely what I do and teach my kids. You are part of a team you show up whether you can play or not if you are injured. Unless you are sick and shouldn't be exposing others to it, or you need to be in bed, you go. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, exactly. My oldest is a competitive cheerleader and this is in their team contract. Even if it wasn't, that's how I do things. 

Quoting romalove:

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on May. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
We do that as well. You're part of a team and we support our teammates on the field or on the sidelines... :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN