Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"I'm The Opposite"

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM
  • 126 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I was thinking....

If you self identify with a particular political group (liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, libertarian, whatever it is that you consider yourself part of), can you find something that is traditionally affiliated with belief in that group that you yourself do not agree with?

For example, if you consider yourself a liberal but want curbs on PA?

Or if you consider yourself a conservative but are pro-choice?

That sort of thing.

I'm curious to see if there are people not in total lockstep with party or ideology.  

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:00 AM
3 moms liked this
This was the first presidential election Imvoted Democrat. So, I get a giggle when I am labeled a radical liberal. In the past, I voted for people for different reasons. In the past 8 years or so, I voted Democrat or anyone who is Pro choice because that is what I am most concerned about. The older I get the more liberal in my thinking. The only area I tend to be more conservative is with PA. I think many people abuse it and it needs an overhaul.
romalove
by Roma on May. 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This was the first presidential election Imvoted Democrat. So, I get a giggle when I am labeled a radical liberal. In the past, I voted for people for different reasons. In the past 8 years or so, I voted Democrat or anyone who is Pro choice because that is what I am most concerned about. The older I get the more liberal in my thinking. The only area I tend to be more conservative is with PA. I think many people abuse it and it needs an overhaul.

Thanks for your response.

I always was a Republican and this last election cycle voted Libertarian for the first time.  I just couldn't vote for either major party candidate.

And I am generally socially liberal but fiscally conservative, which essentially means both sides hate me LOL.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM
6 moms liked this
I also will not vote for anyone who is anti-gay marriage. I have a few issues which are deal
Breakers for me. I am no longer registered Republican because the hypocrisy I see I can no longer justify. Republicans are big the government statig out of our business but only when it comes to their precious taxes. When it comes to my body, whom I marry or anything against their hypocritical agenda, than they are all up in my business.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
3 moms liked this
Lol.. Never though to vote Libertarian or anything besides the major two. Maybe that is something to think about next election.. Lol!

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Thanks for your response.

I always was a Republican and this last election cycle voted Libertarian for the first time.  I just couldn't vote for either major party candidate.

And I am generally socially liberal but fiscally conservative, which essentially means both sides hate me LOL.

candlegal
by Judy on May. 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM
6 moms liked this

I consider myself a very conservative independent.    I am 100% pro life and do not believe in the death penalty.

I am also not aligned with the more conservative party on illegal immigration.    I don't think they should be deported.  I understand that most of them have come here to better themselves and/or to feed their families.  The criminals, send them back.

Roo1234
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM
2 moms liked this
I think there are a large number of people who have s touch point issue that keeps them ( seemingly ) loyal to one political party, but when you break down their a beliefs without the generalities they don't really fall to a single party line.
teri4lance
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM
I'm probably closest to libertarian. But I'm prochoice which isn't always in line with them. I also realize it's too late to get back to the gold standard.
I do think I would find rep party the most desirable if they would step off abortion and gay marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:16 AM
4 moms liked this

What about those of us who are a combination of traits and don't identify with one ideaology? And how about if we change our minds evey year or two? LOL. My beliefs change, they are not set in stone.

punky3175
by Punky on May. 7, 2013 at 7:27 AM
3 moms liked this
This response just caused my respect for you to grow. :-) I always took you for a conservative from things you've posted but now I'll remember you don't classify yourself that way.

Quoting candlegal:

I consider myself a very conservative independent.    I am 100% pro life and do not believe in the death penalty.

I am also not aligned with the more conservative party on illegal immigration.    I don't think they should be deported.  I understand that most of them have come here to better themselves and/or to feed their families.  The criminals, send them back.

Aamy
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I font affiliate with a group.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)