Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So I was thinking....

If you self identify with a particular political group (liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, libertarian, whatever it is that you consider yourself part of), can you find something that is traditionally affiliated with belief in that group that you yourself do not agree with?

For example, if you consider yourself a liberal but want curbs on PA?

Or if you consider yourself a conservative but are pro-choice?

That sort of thing.

I'm curious to see if there are people not in total lockstep with party or ideology.  

by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Replies (121-126):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on May. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Here, there is a great deal of overlap among them... very centrist country, Canada is :D

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LindaClement:

We have three parties in Canada, so there is no 'opposite' to any of them.

I didn't mean it that way, though.

I meant identifying with a party but having a position or two that is in opposition with that party, even though you mostly do identify with the party.

happinessforyou
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I am a registered Democrat- but always vote for the best candidate for the job. This last election I also voted Libertarian.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Have you found that since becoming a parent, your ideals have changed over the years?  I ask because mine most certainly have.  As a teen and young adult, I was very, very liberal; yet as motherhood `set in' I began to view a bigger picture of society and the way it operated. I smoked copious amounts of weed, had a distain for college, `Yuppies',  Republicans,  the credit nation we were becoming, the military, war in general terms and did not care how much money I made year at dead end jobs.  Then I grew up.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This was the first presidential election Imvoted Democrat. So, I get a giggle when I am labeled a radical liberal. In the past, I voted for people for different reasons. In the past 8 years or so, I voted Democrat or anyone who is Pro choice because that is what I am most concerned about. The older I get the more liberal in my thinking. The only area I tend to be more conservative is with PA. I think many people abuse it and it needs an overhaul.

Thanks for your response.

I always was a Republican and this last election cycle voted Libertarian for the first time.  I just couldn't vote for either major party candidate.

And I am generally socially liberal but fiscally conservative, which essentially means both sides hate me LOL.

romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Have you found that since becoming a parent, your ideals have changed over the years?  I ask because mine most certainly have.  As a teen and young adult, I was very, very liberal; yet as motherhood `set in' I began to view a bigger picture of society and the way it operated. I smoked copious amounts of weed, had a distain for college, `Yuppies',  Republicans,  the credit nation we were becoming, the military, war in general terms and did not care how much money I made year at dead end jobs.  Then I grew up.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This was the first presidential election Imvoted Democrat. So, I get a giggle when I am labeled a radical liberal. In the past, I voted for people for different reasons. In the past 8 years or so, I voted Democrat or anyone who is Pro choice because that is what I am most concerned about. The older I get the more liberal in my thinking. The only area I tend to be more conservative is with PA. I think many people abuse it and it needs an overhaul.

I always was a Republican and this last election cycle voted Libertarian for the first time.  I just couldn't vote for either major party candidate.

And I am generally socially liberal but fiscally conservative, which essentially means both sides hate me LOL.

Well....not really.

I was raised by liberal Democrats who had some sort of awakening during the Carter years and became Republicans.  I turned 18 a few days before Ronald Reagan's first election, and he was my very first vote.

I owned a radio set that got stations from all over Europe and would listen to political criticism overseas of Carter; it was brutal, and we were very much a laughingstock at that time.

I think my ideals have mostly been the same over the years, other than I have become more of an advocate for abortion choice than I was when I was younger.  I think the Republican party moved to the conservative and the religious and the right, leaving me in place.

I find myself more libertarian now.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Interesting.  My parents emigrated from Sicily in 1961, become citizens quite quickly and always voted Democratic.  Looking back, I do not think they ever  understood -- perhaps even agreed with the idea of church and state being separate.  They were Catholic and morally minded people with a disdain for  premarital sex,  unemployed, and the manner in which the poorest citizens were treated here in the US..  Their  vision of the church  was quite different, too..  They believed in supporting all people because God/Jesus would not shun anyone in their view.. The collection plate was optional based on what you could afford to give and should never be used as a monitor of `how'  Catholic you were..  Coming from a small village themselves, they remained connected, humble and vilified big government for the woes of the everyman/woman. They believed society better serves all when its people live more equally to one another.  Distribution of wealth...you might say.   They understood that Republicans were more fiscally minded and they respected that very much; however, they could not be swayed to their side because of their humanitarian faults. 

That's awesome that you were able to listen to forigien  news!   Are you fluent in many languages?    As close as I got to foreign news  was a newspaper store that sold papers from around the world.  I spend a lot of time reading there as a teen, but was stymied by my lack for understanding of many languages.  I'm only fluent in English and Italian.  Currently I am researching  language learning software.  I want to learn Greek because our  DIL is Greek.  Rosetta Stone is the front runner right now...

I still believe that Jimmy Carter was not a bad president.  In my dusty view of events, he  lost his reelection bid because of the way he handled the hostage crisis and his signing over of the Panama Canal. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Well....not really.

I was raised by liberal Democrats who had some sort of awakening during the Carter years and became Republicans.  I turned 18 a few days before Ronald Reagan's first election, and he was my very first vote.

I owned a radio set that got stations from all over Europe and would listen to political criticism overseas of Carter; it was brutal, and we were very much a laughingstock at that time.

I think my ideals have mostly been the same over the years, other than I have become more of an advocate for abortion choice than I was when I was younger.  I think the Republican party moved to the conservative and the religious and the right, leaving me in place.

romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Interesting.  My parents emigrated from Sicily in 1961, become citizens quite quickly and always voted Democratic.  Looking back, I do not think they ever  understood -- perhaps even agreed with the idea of church and state being separate.  They were Catholic and morally minded people with a disdain for  premarital sex,  unemployed, and the manner in which the poorest citizens were treated here in the US..  Their  vision of the church  was quite different, too..  They believed in supporting all people because God/Jesus would not shun anyone in their view.. The collection plate was optional based on what you could afford to give and should never be used as a monitor of `how'  Catholic you were..  Coming from a small village themselves, they remained connected, humble and vilified big government for the woes of the everyman/woman. They believed society better serves all when its people live more equally to one another.  Distribution of wealth...you might say.   They understood that Republicans were more fiscally minded and they respected that very much; however, they could not be swayed to their side because of their humanitarian faults. 

That's awesome that you were able to listen to forigien  news!   Are you fluent in many languages?    As close as I got to foreign news  was a newspaper store that sold papers from around the world.  I spend a lot of time reading there as a teen, but was stymied by my lack for understanding of many languages.  I'm only fluent in English and Italian.  Currently I am researching  language learning software.  I want to learn Greek because our  DIL is Greek.  Rosetta Stone is the front runner right now...

I still believe that Jimmy Carter was not a bad president.  In my dusty view of events, he  lost his reelection bid because of the way he handled the hostage crisis and his signing over of the Panama Canal. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Well....not really.

The news was in English, much of it heavily accented.  I had an old Danish modern cabinet with some sort of buttons you would press to get different bandwidths, including overseas.

Jimmy Carter was an over his head president.  I graduated high school in 1980, which means the hostage crisis was going on while I was in school.  I remember the fear of my boy friends (I had a bunch of boys I was close to and would hang out with) that we were going to war.  I remember especially when there was the failed helicopter rescue, that fear being spoken of.

Panama Canal was a part of it but the least part of it.  The most part was that the hostages were being held until the day Reagan took over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)