Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
I have noticed a theme or common occurrence on here that I cannot wrap my mind around.

How do you separate your beliefs from a person? I was thinking reading Poodles memes and responses to them which are always volatile.

One side... How do you separate what the memes respresent from the person posting them? How can you separate the hate in any post from the person posting it? For example, to say I am against homosexuality but I do not hate homosexuals in my opinion is bullshit. This is not an attack! Please do not turn it into one.

The other side.. How do you condemn what people post and preach freedom of speech in another thread? I have seen people bash nasty things about Bush and it is acceptable but if anyone posts something bad about Obama they are called names?

I have been guilty of this so I am not condemning anyone. Just something I noticed.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Replies (91-91):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head with personas. I think there are some moms who come across one way here behind a persona that is not them in real life. Maybe the anonimity of CM let's them be who they wish they could be in real life, I don't know. Some moms spew such hatred and nastiness that I can't even imagine what life has done to them to make them that way. Even someone who is passionate about certain topics can still be respectful to others.

And over time when you see certain names, you know what'll be in the post before you even open it because some moms are like the Energizer Bunny...they take a topic and just keep going and going and going...

Quoting momtoscott:

I think most posters are pretty consistent in their personas, over time.  I have no idea what any are like in real life.  The online persona, words, images, and articles posted, is the only one available for judging, liking, and disliking.  Some posters support things I don't in a way that leaves room for a fruitful conversation.  Some people support things that I do in a way that turns me off.   I try not to judge someone on one post or a few replies.  

Over time, I feel I have enough reason to judge whether someone who is posting hateful articles or ugly memes is doing it more out of zeal for a cause or to express a spiteful personality.  However, that's still my own judgment and a personal opinion.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)