Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should preschools be allowed to ban non-vax'd kids?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 263 Replies

Kids Who Haven't Been Vaccinated May Be Banned From Preschool

by Michele Zipp

vaccinationI'm afraid we've become a society with too much fear -- a crippling fear -- that we alienate those with different beliefs than we have. And this belief I'm talking about specifically is vaccinations. No one wants to get sick (well maybe those who are into lollipop parties are the exception). No one wants nearly eradicated diseases to creep back and hurt anyone. We don't have to get all crazy and start banning children who aren't vaccinated from attending child care centers and preschools, do we? Or should we?

The Sunday Telegraph and Daily Telegraph in Australia are launching their own pro-vax campaign called 'No jab, no play' with a nod from the medical association. The vaccination rates in the suburbs of Sydney and Manly are below 85 percent -- a high rate is considered 95 percent. The goal is to stop no-vax kids from entering child care facilities and preschools, and to punish their "free-riding" parents (their phrase) who refuse or forget to get their kids immunized. 

Dr Steve Hambleton told The Sunday Telegraph:

We need to lift the barriers, we need people to make an active decision to immunise because we have a responsibility to our children to protect them, and a responsibility to the community to contribute to herd immunity.

So what do we do here? Force vaccinations? Herd immunity is reportedly only fully effective if around 95 percent of the population is immunized. Is that even possible? What about the kids who really can't get certain vaccinations?

He goes on to say "The free-riders will actually cause a disease to occur in vaccinated children whose parents did the responsible thing." Isn't that proof that our vaccinations aren't working? 

Last year in my small town one of the kids at a private school contracted measles after a trip overseas. The child was in school, but sent home. The proper precautions were taken and no other child was affected. So should we add that we should never travel outside of our country to the list on how to best protect our kids from contracting anything? Where's the bubble? Do we need to stay indoors?!

My kids are vaccinated. But I'm not afraid to let them play with kids who haven't been fully immunized. Nor am I fearful of letting my kids play with kids who have runny noses either. Germs don't scare me. Some of the chemicals in hand sanitizers do. I don't believe we should keep our kids in Purell bottles.

This is about choice. Parents should be able to choose not to vaccinate their kids. And perhaps that choice should also apply to private schools, specifically preschools and child care centers. Maybe they should have the right to refuse kids who haven't been vaccinated if they so wish. Would all preschools do this? I don't think so. How would this effect communities? I'm not so sure, but I'm sure it would create a divide. Oh your kids attend that preschool ... some moms would say with uncertainly and fear in their voices when meeting families that attend the "conscientious objector" or no-vax school. Some are even calling to change the anti-vax conscientious objector tag with "vaccine refusers." That's certainly to the point. Is this discrimination? In their quest to create herd immunity are they bullying the anti-vax crowd? It seems they are. And the divide gets even bigger.

What do you think? Should preschools be allowed to ban no-vax kids if they wish? Should they not allow any of the loopholes parents use when they don't vaccinate? Do you vax?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
4 moms liked this
During illness outbreaks, yes. Purely for their own safety.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
5 moms liked this

Sigh. No. They shouldn't, and I no longer vax either. I don't consider the health of my child a loophole. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That's is reasonable depending on what illness we are talking about. 

Quoting Sisteract:

During illness outbreaks, yes. Purely for their own safety.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM
3 moms liked this
I think everyone just needs to mind their own business. The thing is this is a parental matter. The parents get to choose. Most of us have sound reasons for not wanting our kids to have vaccines. At any rate; if your kids are vaccinated; they should be fine.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
6 moms liked this
I think many people take an emotional approach to this topic. Non vax'd kids are the ones at greatest risk... Why would their parents want them in school if a measles or pertussis outbreak had occurred in the school?
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

drinking 

meriana
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Around here, if there is an outbreak of, for instance, measles, non-vaccinated kids are not allowed in school until the outbreak is over. That's fine with me since I wouldn't want them in school during an outbreak even if they were vaccinated. The last time there was a measles outbreak around here, the only kids that contracted it were going to school because they'd been vaccinated for it.

I don't believe the Gov. should EVER mandate that every child be vaccinated. It should always remain parental choice. If the Gov. mandates it, it takes away the right of the parent to make a decision on what is basically a medical treatment which would make me wonder what the next thing concerning a parental decision would be removed from parental control.

1Giovanni
by Becca on May. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

After seeing my son almost die from a vax, I believe that is a risk to vax or not vax. It is only the parents to choose what risk they want to take.

Our schools send the non-vax kids home until the outbreak if over. 

prommy
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting chotovec82:

I think everyone just needs to mind their own business. The thing is this is a parental matter. The parents get to choose. Most of us have sound reasons for not wanting our kids to have vaccines. At any rate; if your kids are vaccinated; they should be fine.

When my son was being treated for Leukemia all of his vaccinations/boosters had to stop. Do we get a vote about whether or not he was exposed to kids who could have given him something that could have easliy killed him? His immune system couldn't fight off anything... it actually was my business whether or not the kid sitting next to him at school had been vaccinated.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Then the parent can choose a school that allows it.   These schools should be able to ban your kid for not following their requirements.

Quoting chotovec82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)