Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Daughter suspended for praying at lunch - what would you do?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
  • 73 Replies

My friend's daughter was got in trouble yesterday for praying at lunch. She said she did what she always does, bowed her head, folded her hands, and said a silent prayer of thanks for her meal before she ate. The teacher slapped her hand on the tabletop, got up, and grabbed her by the arm, taking her to the office where they then put the girl in ISS - in-school suspension - for the rest of the day.

My friend was called to pick her up that afternoon - she normally rides the bus - and they told her about the ISS and why and my friend said she was too stunned to even react. As far as she knows, there's nothing in the code of conduct that prohibits students from praying, especially silently, in school, and she can't figure out why they suddenly got so upset and punished a straight A student for a silent prayer she does EVERY DAY.

What would you do if this happened to your child?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tag3.0
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Im having a hard time believing this. What school do you go to and why are you not reporting this to yahoo?

SuperChicken
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm extremely suspicious of the veracity of the story your friend told you, but if it did happen to my daughter I'd be down at the school ASAP having a stern discussion.

OrangeSunset
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'm not in school. This is my friend's daughter who was suspended. I'm not reporting it to Yahoo because it's not my child who was suspended and I only know what my friend has told me about the incident.

Quoting Tag3.0:

Im having a hard time believing this. What school do you go to and why are you not reporting this to yahoo?

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
As we are Jewish in texas I would immediately contact either the ACLU or the ADL. If this is a public school, it is unconstitutional.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on May. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd be verifying the story first.  Honestly, I have a very hard time believing it happened as described.  

Tag3.0
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Oh. 

Quoting OrangeSunset:

I'm not in school. This is my friend's daughter who was suspended. I'm not reporting it to Yahoo because it's not my child who was suspended and I only know what my friend has told me about the incident.

Quoting Tag3.0:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM
A teacher slapped her hand? I would be making a police report. They can't stop a child from praying at school.
lga1965
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Isn't that called "saying Grace"? I have a hard time believing this too,particularly the part about the teacher.
I smell a troll...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I would have a lot of questions--from what you typed, I have a hard time believing that there's not more to the story. Students in public schools are well within their rights to pray on their own, as long as they're not coercing anyone else and they're not missing or disrupting class, and I have a very hard time believing that any school would be stupid enough to put a student in ISS for praying silently. As I said, that's what makes me believe there must be more to the story.

Since I wasn't there and it's not my child, I wouldn't do anything.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Funny. I remember this screename from my Florida moms group. If I recall correctly she was a plant by OFA right before the election paid to post controversial topics as a regular member for the benefit of campaign efforts. I am calling bullshit on this story. 

FYI. When I called this out on the forum and the fact that OFA was our group sponsor which was kept secret? The admis removed it stating I violated TOS, even though I didn't. They didn't want the big secret out that they had paid members by the sponsor of the group. 

Their reason in removing the post is that I criticized CM, by calling out the sponsor. Uh huh...

If it is true? I'd be calling the media and school board. Again. This post is highly suspect. 

Quoting SuperChicken:

I'm extremely suspicious of the veracity of the story your friend told you, but if it did happen to my daughter I'd be down at the school ASAP having a stern discussion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)