Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Elizabeth Smart speaks about Abstienence Only Education

Posted by   + Show Post

Elizabeth Smart speaks about abstinence education

By ALEX DOMINGUEZ 

The Associated Press

First Published May 06 2013 04:06 pm • Updated 27 minutes ago

BALTIMORE - Rescued kidnapping victim Elizabeth Smart said Wednesday she understands why some human trafficking victims don't run.

Smart said she "felt so dirty and so filthy" after she was raped by her captor, and she understands why someone wouldn't run "because of that alone."

Photos

• (Trent Nelson  |  The Salt Lake Tribune)   Elizabeth Smart spoke in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune)   in Salt Lake City on Wednesday, May 18, 2011.

Smart spoke at a Johns Hopkins human trafficking forum, saying she was raised in a religious household and recalled a school teacher who spoke once about abstinence and compared sex to chewing gum.

"I thought, ‘Oh, my gosh, I'm that chewed up piece of gum, nobody re-chews a piece of gum, you throw it away.' And that's how easy it is to feel like you no longer have worth, you no longer have value," Smart said. "Why would it even be worth screaming out? Why would it even make a difference if you are rescued? Your life still has no value."

The Salt Lake City woman was kidnapped at age 14 from her bedroom. She was freed nine months later when she was found walking with her captor on a suburban street in March 2003. The Associated Press doesn't usually publish the names of accusers or victims in sexual-assault cases unless they agree to be named or identify themselves publicly, as Smart has done.

Since her rescue, Smart has started the Elizabeth Smart Foundation, which works to protect and educate children about violent and sexual crimes.

Smart says children should be educated that "you will always have value and nothing can change that."

Link: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56248622-78/abstinence-smart-elizabeth-trafficking.html.csp 

Edited for weird font issue!

by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Replies (41-45):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Precisely. There is enough factual information to be had without resorting to belittling or lying (the woman who said that if you are on birth control your mother probably hates you comes to mind). We want kids to have all the information necessary to protect themselves, and that is NOT done by lying and saying that there is any such thing as Safe Sex, or by telling them that they are worthless if they decide to buck "the rules."
Quoting soonergirl980:

This is pretty much how I feel. STD's, unwanted pregnancy, etc sex is just not worth the risk. That doesn't mean I believe in "slut shaming".

Quoting kailu1835:

I believe in abstinence only education, while teaching the astronomical risks of STDs that there is 0 prevention for other than abstience. I do not agree with anyone telling another person that they will be "less valuable" because they choose to have sex before marriage. This is unacceptable.

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

blurp
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:15 PM

wow. get a puppy.

chloedee
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't work in preventing teens from having sex or getting pregnant though. States with abstinence only education have higher rates of teen pregnancy than those who don't. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

This is pretty much how I feel. STD's, unwanted pregnancy, etc sex is just not worth the risk. That doesn't mean I believe in "slut shaming".

Quoting kailu1835:

I believe in abstinence only education, while teaching the astronomical risks of STDs that there is 0 prevention for other than abstience. I do not agree with anyone telling another person that they will be "less valuable" because they choose to have sex before marriage. This is unacceptable.

GLWerth
by Gina on May. 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Yes, a comprehensive approach is best. Abstinence is a component of this, but if teens do decide to have sex, better that they should have all the information they need. 

And no shaming, no suggesting that having sex makes one less human or of lesser worth. Some of us never had a choice.  

Quoting chloedee:

It doesn't work in preventing teens from having sex or getting pregnant though. States with abstinence only education have higher rates of teen pregnancy than those who don't. 

Quoting soonergirl980:

Quoting kailu1835:

futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:45 AM

lol

Quoting Liz132:

I don't think anyone understands a thing you posted or it's relevance to the article. Did you even read the OP?

Quoting blurp:

it has nothing at all to do with sex... it has more to do with skipping out on the guilt altogether, nobody is guilty just in a bad place, and time, and it wasn't a wanting the sex thing of course, SMART wasn't wanting to be kidnapped, it was in the perspective of the kidnapper.  Of course, it's over for yrs. now.  OVER.

Now isn't it something else to learn, like getting ahead of some of these old posts...

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting blurp:

Why , because nobody should beat themself up before being nice to anyone, that is reversed.   If you're nice to yourself, than you can be nice to others.  Just ask any disabled person with heart problems, if they cannot take care of themself, they are likely to be abrasive and harsh to others.  THAT is why ''they'' need us to have to help them.

...What...

does this have to do with this thread?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN