Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Plastic bag ban? ot.

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 114 Replies

In the beginning of this month where I live plastic bags were no longer available to customers. People either have to bring in their own reusable bags or pay a nickel for paper bags. Is this happening where you live?>

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it's a great idea to get rid of plastic bags. I haven't seen it yet but the market in which I shop takes 5 cents off for every reusable bag you use. It doesn't seem like much, but I typically walk away with 10-12 bags, and the change I do save for the bags goes into a jar.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

we have 1 store here that charges for plastic bags.  We have a ton of plastic bags around the house.  We reuse them for trash and things.  I try to take reuseable bags with me when I go grocery shopping otherwise we use paper.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I admit at first I wasn't too sure about it, but now I like it.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I think it's a great idea to get rid of plastic bags. I haven't seen it yet but the market in which I shop takes 5 cents off for every reusable bag you use. It doesn't seem like much, but I typically walk away with 10-12 bags, and the change I do save for the bags goes into a jar.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

No.  It isn't happening.  But, certain stores give a 5 cent credit for every recycle bag you bring in.  My son wrote to our mayor about having a similar program 2 years ago and never got a response.

cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM
2 moms liked this
No, and I hope it doesn't happen. I tried the "Bring your own bag" thing. I kept forgetting my bags and then got tired of them taking up room in my home.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I've been using reusable bags for years and we have that law as of this year.  i  don't agree with it.   

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on May. 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

good Lord... How much do you buy to fill that many bags!  i typically have 3-4 bags for my weeks worth of groceries.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
1Giovanni
by Becca on May. 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Yep it has been like that since January here in Corvallis. It sucks! 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

good Lord... How much do you buy to fill that many bags!  i typically have 3-4 bags for my weeks worth of groceries.

I buy enough for a weeks worth of food for 4 people.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
It is in the county I work in. I bring a bag with me to run errands during lunch. They charge 10 cents if you want a paper bag from them. The county I live in isn't doing this.

I find it annoying. It's one more thing sitting in my car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN