Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

WalMart: What is wrong with this picture (let me count the ways)?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 162 Replies
8 moms liked this

I was talking to a woman the other day who told me her adult daughter and her son-in-law both work at WalMart full-time. Her SIL works the night shift.

"They were doing ok until they had the baby, then they qualified for Medicaid."

First, I thought (and still do):  If you cannot afford a baby, why have one?

Then, I thought: WTF is wrong with effing WalMart that they can't pay living wages or provide decent health care coverage to their f/t employees?

So, think of this: You and I, the tax payers, are basically paying for health care for WalMart workers! WTF is wrong here?!?

Something is really a mess when two adults work full-time and can't afford to have a kid because their wages are so freaking low and they can't get (enough) health care coverage.

Meanwhile, the Walton family is near the top of the Forbes "richest" list year after year as they peddle their crap so cheaply made in other countries where workers have no rights and where few, if any, safety regulations are in place (think India).

I hate WalMart.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on May. 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM
4 moms liked this
let us know when you are done counting
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:28 AM
4 moms liked this
Yes that is one of my biggest problems with Walmart. The ggovernment subsidies their workforce qith monwy for good stamps, medical, daycare assistance etc.
Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I don't shop there if I don't have to.  It really is a breeding ground for everything that could go wrong.

punky3175
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this
I didn't go to Wal-mart for a very long time then started going in because stuff was cheap. I've found better places to go and I'll pay a little more for stuff.
MamaBear1978
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

You're right, there is definitely something wrong with this picture. On the other hand, if they are working then they too, are tax payers and are paying into the system that they are using. BTW, I really strongly dislike Walmart as well.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I agree.  There are lots of people getting some kind of assistance when working full-time, because you basically have to make at least 2-3x the minimum wage to be able to support yourself, given the high costs of necessities like food, housing, utilities, and healthcare.  It sucks.   

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM
5 moms liked this

That horrible store costs this nations billions of dollars a year because they refuse to pay their workers enough to live on. They could pay them more. Sure, they'd get a billion less in personal profits, but who gives a shit about that? Oh those poor billionaires. However will they live on a few less billions. 

Hafsa1
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
10 moms liked this
I don't get it. Don't they pay the employees at least minimum wage? Why don't I ever see any complaining about all the other companies that do the same...fast food restaurants, retail stores, etc. Walmart isn't really any different, but maybe I'm missing something? IMO, these aren't "career" jobs, and aren't really meant to be unless you're trying to go into management, but is usually a temp option until you can find better options. But many times people seem to just get used to it and get stuck where they are and feel they have no place else to go. Then people complain that they don't get paid enough, but they are the ones who made the decision to work there and keep working there.

I worked for burger king all throughout highschool, but never once thought that I'd make a career of it. It was just something temporary for some pocket change. I saw so many co workers who worked for the company for years and didn't have anything to show for it, they struggle, and understandably so. The raises I received while there were about 15¢/hr each year! No vacation, medical, etc unless I had gone into management which they were setting me up for but I declined and moved on to a better job.

My friend, who I had known since 3rd grade, also worked at burger king, and still does at the age of 31. Her husband does also. She constantly complains that she doesn't make enough and wants to find something else but doesn't. She's one of those people who are "stuck". She's been doing it for so long that she doesn't feel she can get a job anywhere else because she has no job experience other than fast food.

I'm not bashing people who choose to stay with jobs like these, at least they are trying to support themselves, but walmart is not the only company that pays low wages, and really isn't meant as a career.
xixCandyxix
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM

BUMP!

Della529
by Matlock on May. 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

The subsidies, by Federal, State AND Local governments, are ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN