Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Female Egyptian TV Host Riham Said Denounces Cleric During On-Air Interview

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 22 Replies

Female Egyptian TV Host Riham Said Denounces Cleric During On-Air Interview  

article image
By Oliver Jenkins, Tue, May 07, 2013

A fiery exchange between an Egyptian cleric and a female TV host culminated in an on-air shouting match between the two over a number of controversial issues.

In April, cleric Yousuf Badri joined host Riham Said for an interview on the Egyptian channel Al-Nahar. The clip, which runs just over three minutes in length, initially begins with an informal conversation between the two before the actual interview takes place.

Specifically, the two discuss how Said, a woman, will have to cover her head in order to interview Badri.

"Outside this studio in your daily life you deal all the time with Muslim women who do not wear the veil," objects Said. "Do I have to put this on just to have an interview with you?" she asks as she begins to cover her head.

"You have no problem talking to me without the hijab, and then, when the viewers can see, you make we wear it?"

"Let's just start the show," Badri says in response.

However, the testy mood carried over into the actual interview after Said introduced the topic of sexual harassment by clerics - a subject Badri had absolutely no interest in discussing.

"This is a provocation," he says in a harsh tone. "Change the subject. Talk about things that interest people, about public affairs."

But Said offers a different perspective.

"From the moment you sat down, you've been shouting at me and mocking me, even though we paid you 1,000 Egyptian pounds to come here," she shouts back, removing her headscarf. "You didn't come to answer questions. You came to pick a fight...What kind of cleric demands 1,000 pounds?"

"Change the subject and put on that hijab," Badri states. "Or I will shut your channel down!"

Said, however, concludes the interview on her own terms, publicly denouncing both Badri's stance and position of power.

"This is the kind of person who sues TV channels, attacks the media, and puts on a show for the viewers," she states. "It is very unfortunate that people like this peddle our religion. I'm the one leaving, not you."

by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

LUV HER!!!!

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

She is very brave. 

SuperChicken
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I wish I wasn't, but I'm afraid for her.   That guy sounds crazy to me.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Wow, good for her!  These topics need to be addressed for the benefit of Egyptian women.  I'm glad she was able to show this guy for what he is.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Amazingly brave smart woman!
I pray for her to stay safe!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marmie41
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome young woman. More than likely she knows the possible back lash this could cause her. But she put her fellow women and their rights above her own personal safety. Wow now that is a real role model IMHO.
muslimah
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I don't see what the reasoning for the concern of her safety is  as expressed in all of the above replies. She said what she had to say and did what she had to do and I don't see that it puts her in any danger.

Her being an Egyptian on Egyptian TV facing off with one considered a cleric is really nothing to be concerned about. I guess it must be that many are not familiar with Egypt and how Egyptian way of life works. It's very quite liberal and modernized.

This women is in no danger.

SuperChicken
by on May. 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Because crazy people are dangerous, and that man looks crazy.    It doesn't matter how liberal society is.

Quoting muslimah:

I don't see what the reasoning for the concern of her safety is  as expressed in all of the above replies. She said what she had to say and did what she had to do and I don't see that it puts her in any danger.

Her being an Egyptian on Egyptian TV facing off with one considered a cleric is really nothing to be concerned about. I guess it must be that many are not familiar with Egypt and how Egyptian way of life works. It's very quite liberal and modernized.

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

GOOOOOOD GIRLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talee
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Quoting muslimah:

I came acrossed a few articles where women are in some kind of uprising about sexual harrassment etc out there...they have an FB page. I kind of figured they might be putting their lives on the line but to be honest...their dress is very modern, so I figured the girls doing it were probably in no danger as well. I suppose its where you live that matters.

Jen #1238904688930684906

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN