Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Middlesex?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 27 Replies
My oldest is a freshman in high school. They are assigned to read the book Middlesex. I haven't read it but their English teachers sent a long email letting the parents know what the book was about and if we had questions or concerns to call her.

I didn't give it a second thought. Well, apparently quite a few parents complained. I was shocked. First, it's an arts high school do you should expect it to be more progressive. Second, at what point do you stop sheltering your children and let them explore life?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuperChicken
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I tried to read it once and I think it was one of Orpah's book club books, but honestly, I just couldn't get into it.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and this is one of the very few books I've ever just given up on.    I hope your daughter has better luck.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Lol.. So do I. It is a major assignment. We got it yesterday and she read the first couple of chapters last night an liked it do far but we will see

Quoting SuperChicken:

I tried to read it once and I think it was one of Orpah's book club books, but honestly, I just couldn't get into it.  I read 3 or 4 books a week and this is one of the very few books I've ever just given up on.    I hope your daughter has better luck.

jllcali
by Jane on May. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
What is it about? Sounds like it could be the name of a town in england.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM
It is about a hermaphrodite and how this person is raised female but feels like a male (i could be wrong but that is the general idea) and there is some incestual relationship in the book but not sure who it is between.

Her reasoning for the book was to give a better understanding of what some In the LGBT go through

Quoting jllcali:

What is it about? Sounds like it could be the name of a town in england.
stormcris
by Christy on May. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My daughter read a book this year about a person forced to be terrorist. Nothing was sent home but I also have no issues with the book and have not heard of anyone having them. I think at times too much protection is causing a downfall in younger generations. It amazes me that older generations (those of my grandparents generation) were not as anal about many things parents are today and seeing the difference in the generation they raised and the current trends ...I am left wondering if this sort of action is a very bad idea. Actually, I am not left wondering I am of the mindset it is.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Good questions. I would personally let my kids read it at that age.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on May. 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I remember that segment on Oprah years ago discussing the book. It's about people that are both sexes and how difficult their lives are when they are forced to live as the sex their parent chooses for them. They don't often end up feeling they have been raised the correct gender.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I also think it is not a good idea. Literature opens up the imagination and allows people to expand their thinking in ways other avenues cannot. I have never seen the purpose of censoring reading material.

Quoting stormcris:

My daughter read a book this year about a person forced to be terrorist. Nothing was sent home but I also have no issues with the book and have not heard of anyone having them. I think at times too much protection is causing a downfall in younger generations. It amazes me that older generations (those of my grandparents generation) were not as anal about many things parents are today and seeing the difference in the generation they raised and the current trends ...I am left wondering if this sort of action is a very bad idea. Actually, I am not left wondering I am of the mindset it is.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:14 PM
It sounds interesting and I told my dd I want to read it after her.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I remember that segment on Oprah years ago discussing the book. It's about people that are both sexes and how difficult their lives are when they are forced to live as the sex their parent chooses for them. They don't often end up feeling they have been raised the correct gender.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I think I would have to read the book to really form an opinion. On one hand, I am not for forced censorship, as in banned books, but I do believe that some things should be left to the parents to decide. I also feel like there is too much emphasis on sexuality and sociological training, and it detracts from the academics they should be learning. On the other hand, though, suicide rate among lgbt teens is much higher than straight kids, and forcing kids to understand from the inside what it is like to be different could be very beneficial towards lowering the suicide rates due to a lack of bullying. So I guess I'm a little bit on the fence on this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN