Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Age of Legal

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 13 Replies

The law in America is 18 years old and you are legal to have sex with any age, be in a relationship with any age, etc... 

We consider any man who is older who is attracted to or sexually interested in a girl under 18 a pervert. Over 18, it's okay. not a perversion, because it's legal. 

But if you think about it, that age isn't a moral make or break on what is not perversion, it's just the law, they had to pick an age.. 

So let's say the law was 20 instead of 18. Would an older man sexually involved with a 19 year old girl be a pervert, because the law was different? 

Or say it was 16. Would a 30 year old with a 17 year old suddenly be okay? 

What is your opinion? 

by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cerealmom874
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

quiet ?

Carpy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM
2 moms liked this
What law are you talking about? If you are referring to the age of consent it varies by stat and ranges from 14-18. most states, I believe are 16.
SLTmom
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I don't think it's  the cutoff line per se, that makes a situation pervy; for instance an 18 y/o with a 17 y/o is not considered a perv.  A 30 year old with a girl young enough to be his dd...yeah, perv. Also, a 20 with a 16 may not be a perv, but not really appropriate either.  It has more to with being in totally different places in their lives than the ages themselves.

Then again, I'm sure I cold find a case of a 20 year old with a 16 year old and it's true love, not pervy, and they spend their entire lives blissfully in love.  Shrug.  It's all dependent on circumstances.

"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief"  Gerry Spence

romalove
by Roma on May. 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Brains continue to develop and we recognize that younger teens in particular cannot make adult decisions because they do not have adult brains.  In your example, it would be illegal if age of consent was 20 but that wouldn't automatically make the guy a "pervert".

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Nope...the age of consent varies.
stormcris
by Christy on May. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

In my state it is 16. I think it is individual perception that makes the person a pervert. Some people who are 30 shouldn't be in a relationship but that doesn't make a person a pervert. That term is overused often. For some the idea of not having sex every time in the missionary position is considered perverted. For others they reserve that word for pedophiles and those who sell others into the sex slave industry.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on May. 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I was 16 Dh was 23. We've been together 18 years, married 16, and was not a shot gun marriage. We waited 2 years before children.

Lizardannie1966
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I am honestly not sure what the legal age is here in my state (AZ). I suppose I should know, still having a child under the age of 18. *sigh

I was a month shy of being 18-years old when I met my husband, who was 26 at the time. When we got married, I was 19 and he was 28.

That was 27-years ago.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Good questions

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I was 18 when I met my husband, who was 35 at the time. Yet if I was 15 and he was 32, suddenly, that's when it's sick lol. Or even just 17 and 34.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN