Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why are gifted children not considered special needs?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM
  • 346 Replies
11 moms liked this
And why are they not given appropriste curriculum as such?

I am so frustrsted. *sigh*

Skipping grades seems to be the only option, but it's not sn option I am willing to choose. The district psychologist says academically and cognitively she has the green light to skip, but I can't justify throwing a 10 year old into teenage social situations.

Why are there not more options?
by on May. 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:20 PM
6 moms liked this

OP I feel your pain. I really do. Teachers, myself included, just aren't given the training and help needed to properly teach these children. It wasn't until my gifted DD was born that I realized how we are limiting these children.

elkmomma
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:23 PM
8 moms liked this

They are.  That's why most schools have advanced classes and some are even able to skip grades.  They're just not considered disabled and in need of specific aide to learn something that most others the same age are able to do.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Do they have a gifted program in your school district?

Sometimes the local colleges will have fun workshops for gifted kids, you may want to check that.  :)

I don't know why there isn't more for gifted kids. 

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I just went to ptc today, and her nwea test scores are all above 10th grade level, and her math is off the charts. Her growth is phenomenal and she hasn't reached the plateau that kids normally do. Is she just supposed to coast through school?

Quoting desertlvn:

OP I feel your pain. I really do. Teachers, myself included, just aren't given the training and help needed to properly teach these children. It wasn't until my gifted DD was born that I realized how we are limiting these children.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this
There is, and she was supposed to be in it this year, but the district cut the number of students 3 times. Idk why she wasn't included when she is by far the most advanced student in the entire school. She even beat her teacher and principal's scores when they took the test.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Sometimes the local colleges will have fun workshops for gifted kids, you may want to check that.  :)

desertlvn
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

How old is she? 

It is particularly hard when your child NEEDS to be with peers to socialize. Jumping grades just isn't the answer.

I just read a great book called The Spark. Check it out.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I just went to ptc today, and her nwea test scores are all above 10th grade level, and her math is off the charts. Her growth is phenomenal and she hasn't reached the plateau that kids normally do. Is she just supposed to coast through school?

Quoting desertlvn:

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM
She is 10. I will check it out.

Quoting desertlvn:

How old is she? 

It is particularly hard when your child NEEDS to be with peers to socialize. Jumping grades just isn't the answer.

I just read a great book called The Spark. Check it out.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Quoting desertlvn:

tooptimistic
by Kelly on May. 8, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My six year old is reading on a fourth grade level, and is excelling in math.  He is home schooled, and we are doing k12.  They want me to combine first and second grade for him, but I don't know.  I have the same issue as you, he is high functioning autistic so his social skills aren't so great.

Can you supplement her at home, so she can go into more detail on the subjects that interest her?

Do you have magnet schools in your district?  That may be a better fit for her.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

There is, and she was supposed to be in it this year, but the district cut the number of students 3 times. Idk why she wasn't included when she is by far the most advanced student in the entire school. She even beat her teacher and principal's scores when they took the test.

Quoting tooptimistic:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on May. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
4 moms liked this

In our county the are given IEP's just like any child with extra needs. I am grateful we have that. I have my youngest with speech issues, and my oldest is gifted. Both have IEP's to meet their specific needs. I think all states and counties should have that. Have you tried to approach your school board on it? I know that's why we now have it. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

our kids have more options depending on the capability of the said child.

My neice is highly gifted and was invited to attend a top corporate school for the gifted. (enrolment of only75 students in Australia)

I have two sons who could easily do a grade above but have side classes that cater to their needs.  students of the same ilk are in the classes.  Kids are the same age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured